• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animerica to stick to the fanzine market?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
AOD said it's only gonna be sold at cons. Kind of ironic, considering the company's success with Jump.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Heh, looks like I need to find a way to subscribe since I like Animerica, but I don't have the time OR money to go to cons.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz plans to distribute a revamped Animerica at numerous anime conventions starting at Anime Expo in July. The (presumably free) distribution at anime cons should allow Viz to make the publication available to a larger fan audience, while keeping the majority of its current readers, who are already attending at least one major anime convention anyway.

Well, I've never been to a full-fledged anime convention once, and haven't been to a comic book convention of any kind since 1994, but, then again, I stopped reading Animerica two years ago because I have very limited funds to spend on anime and manga as it is and would rather that money go to anime and manga rather than just reading about it.

If I was still an Animerica reader and didn't go to 12 cons a year, I would probably be pissed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jtnishi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, talk about the end of an era. Newtype is beating Animerica's circulation numbers by about a factor of 2 or 3 to 1 at the moment, so I suppose there's no surprise about Animerica having to change out.

But seriously, Animerica's been there as long as I've been a fan, and it's kind of sad in a way to think that now, it's pretty much going away, only to be distributed at conventions. While I haven't read it in a while, either, I'm still sorry to see it go.
SpikesGrrl
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
what about subscribers? I have a subscription to it, will we still get it?? If not I wasted 29.00 for a year. Sad

Mary
matticans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
SpikesGrrl wrote:
what about subscribers? I have a subscription to it, will we still get it?? If not I wasted 29.00 for a year. Sad

Mary

Same here. I have got to look further into this, because if they aren't going to send it to me anymore i want my money back.

Still i am sad. Crying or Very sad .
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they're stopping subscriptions, since that's how they make money off of it. I think that they're just talking about "off the shelf" distribution only being at cons, instead of at newstands, etc. and the like. They'd LOOSE circulation if they got rid of subscriptions because alot of their readership doesn't go to a con a month and whatnot.

I'd be very surprised if they stopped the subscriptions, honestly, as it's a very DUMB business move if they intend to increase readership and circulation.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:48 am Reply with quote
I think that this could be one of the worst moves that Viz is going to make. By taking the publication off the newsstands and that by making it only available through these anime cons is going to hurt the compnay even further.

For one, anime cons, although there are a lot of them all throughout the United States, are far and few between. There aren't many cons yet there are anime and manga fans all over the U.S. What I find deplorable is that Viz is going through with this action by ignoring those legions of fans who aren't able to make it to these conventions.

Where I live, there aren't any anime conventions and here in Michigan, there are very few. So what does Viz do about this? End a publication for sale in bookstores which is going to cause problems with the company. Newtype USA tried something similar by taking out that DVD before fans responded and they put it back in at a higher price.

Viz is going to learn their lesson the hard way ...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the reduced circulation will bother them that much as I suspect they were going to cancel it anyway, but they just didn't have the heart to kill it completely, so it will live on, at least for a while, as a convention item. It's a way to retire the magazine with dignity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Apperently I must be the only one who thinks Animerica is an overpirced, poorly written magazine. The few issues I did buy back in the late 1990s brought what I felt was very little to the table as far as information regarding Japanese animation. I also felt that thier popularity charts were far too out of date (I believe the average was about six months) and they did very little commentary on things big in Japan as a preperation for what could be coming to the States.

If there is anything good I can say about the magazine it is that most of the layouts were very nicely detailed and organized as well with a very good selection of photos for said layouts. Other than that, I didn't feel the magazine to be all that valuable in terms of substance at all.
Iria51

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Apperently I must be the only one who thinks Animerica is an overpirced, poorly written magazine. The few issues I did buy back in the late 1990s brought what I felt was very little to the table as far as information regarding Japanese animation. I also felt that thier popularity charts were far too out of date (I believe the average was about six months) and they did very little commentary on things big in Japan as a preperation for what could be coming to the States.

If there is anything good I can say about the magazine it is that most of the layouts were very nicely detailed and organized as well with a very good selection of photos for said layouts. Other than that, I didn't feel the magazine to be all that valuable in terms of substance at all.

I fully agree with you. Animerica has become the Tiger Beat of anime magazines in my opinion. It gradualy went from an anime fans magazine, which had interviews with legendary anime creators and who talked about some of the latest trends in anime, to a teen magazine that talked about the latest popularity polls and DBZ episodes. I was a reader from their pre-release issue 0 to about the end of 2000. In my anime circle we were all looking forward to this, then new, anime magazine. We looked forward to each new issue. But as it went on, I realised that Animerica no longer spoke to me as a person who loved anime. It's a shame really, it came in like a lion and went out like a lamb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1