• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Licensed by ShoPro Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Well...not that they were ever any real candidate, but at least it wasn't 4Kids. Unfortunately, it's essentially Viz, meaning three episodes to a disc at MSRP (I know, I know, this isn't something I'm supposed to find fault with, but at least a company like FUNimation would've either done a higher episode count or three episodes under the usual MSRP...there were greener pastures possible), and it won't be graced with one of FUNimation's "holy sh**, wowza!" quality dubs (nothing against Ocean, but FUNi's recent efforts have me wanting more).

But, on the other hand, this shuts up all those "Naruto debate" threads...

Yea but like Inuysaha and ranma, they compress it onto 5 DVD boxset and sell it for a lot cheaper. Only problem is waiting for those boxset to come out 2 to 3 years from now. I'm already collecting the manga so that'll tie me over.

Inu-Yasha wrote:
I'm glad its licensed, now if only Bleach and Hunter x Hunter were licensed as well. I think they should put it on CN and not Fox. Toonami or adultswim it shouldnt matter really to me, now I wonder who the voice actors will be.

Bleach.... for sure once it get about 26 or so episode in first.... HxH....not so likely, but at least there's a manga coming out.

Kazuki-san wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Just a quick question. Isn't ShoPro just a "middle-man licensor" or something or is that no longer true since they merged with Viz?

The site I cannot mention that is in the news seems to think so. They're normally really good at pulling down licensed series, but I guess they think fans would be too upset if they pulled it. This whole "middle-man" thing means nothing as far as fansubs go. ShoPro has R1 rights, it's time to pull it.

If that's the case, than I guess Viz has Gash/Zatch Bell.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Just a quick question. Isn't ShoPro just a "middle-man licensor" or something or is that no longer true since they merged with Viz?

The site I cannot mention that is in the news seems to think so. They're normally really good at pulling down licensed series, but I guess they think fans would be too upset if they pulled it. This whole "middle-man" thing means nothing as far as fansubs go. ShoPro has R1 rights, it's time to pull it.

Gotta completely agree with you on this one. I'm definetly surprised they didn't pull it. If it's going to shown on Cartoon Network, it means there is an R1 license. Period, end of story. They really should pull their heads out of their behinds and recognize this.

edit: Looks like "the site that must not be named" has pulled it because of the Cartoon Network announcement. Too bad it requires something like that for them to pull it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
I'm ecxtatic about this news, personally. It's been a good year if not longer since I saw I think it was ep 8, yes I know I'm WAY behind, but like someone on here said, the series is just to time/disk space consuming, and with my comp in the shape it is, I don't really trust it with downloading episodes of anime series like Naruto. My only hope is, is that they do not use Richard Cox, I'm tired of hearing the same whiny voice for every character he does. As for the DVD's, wether they're bilingual or not really won't matter to me if the dub is good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm basically somewhat neutral on the whole matter. I kinda saw it coming, and I really don't feel so bad about it. Sure. It's ShoPro, and I still shed a tear at the thought of Megaman NT Warrior, but really, there isn't much we can do but wait until the result.

The only thing I'll really bother to "assume" is that bilingual DVD releases will be made. Though I'll be somewhat hesitant on collecting a 120+ episode series (it'll definently go over that).

They could acctually do a good job. And they could also acctually create a bloody spawn of Satan.

Knowing the amount of pressure on this, I think this may work out a bit differently.

Assume nothing ^^;.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:
All I can hope for is this:

1. There will be uncut DVD's sooner than 5 years from now. A lot sooner.
2. It will be aired on Adult Swim (uncut/unedited) and Toonami (cut to crap/ edited like a stripper at a 5 year olds birthday party).
3. They will say the jutsus in Japanese (Kage Bunshin no Jutsu, Baika no Jutsu, Chidori, Rasengan!)

Note how I said hope, as none of these will be followed. The DVD's just better have the Japanese audio tracks. But seeing the job they've done with Inuyasha, I do have high hopes despite the glaring odds against them.

1. There will probably be DVDs within 2 years from now, maybe a little more, maybe a little less, seeing as it usually takes that much time to start working and producing a series. And yes, they will be uncut, or at least there will be uncut and uncut-as-seen-on-TV versions. That seems to be the standard.
2. Yes, it will likely be on Adult Swim, though it is possible that it might go to Toonami, with it's slightly lightened editing standards. I don't see it getting cut up horribly. It might also air on that Saturday morning "stealth block" from 1-2 AM, though that would be a shame, but keep it from getting edited too much.
3. I'd say that there is very little chance of this, at least in the dub. Viz has established their translation in Shonen Jump, following the general idea of "Art of [insert something]." However, subtitles on the DVDs might give the original jutsus.

And why would the DVDs not have the Japanese tracks? Viz follows most of the standards of bilingual anime DVDs, with the exception of a high episode count. The series could have gone to a better company, but Viz will likely do it justice.

Inu-Yasha wrote:
I'm glad its licensed, now if only Bleach and Hunter x Hunter were licensed as well. I think they should put it on CN and not Fox. Toonami or adultswim it shouldnt matter really to me, now I wonder who the voice actors will be.

Has Viz ever put their shows on any channel other than Cartoon Network? Keep in mind that other shows from Shueshia that were not on Cartoon Network were licensed by other companies like 4Kids, so I'd say there is very little chance of the show not being on Cartoon Network.

Keep in mind that these are only my opinions, though they are based on the current trends.

Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Though I'll be somewhat hesitant on collecting a 120+ episode series (it'll definently go over that).

There have been people who have bought all the DVDs of Dragonball and DBZ, which number in the...who knows, so Naruto's episode count isn't as bad in comparison. (Plus it's a better show.)
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

2. Yes, it will likely be on Adult Swim, though it is possible that it might go to Toonami, with it's slightly lightened editing standards. I don't see it getting cut up horribly. It might also air on that Saturday morning "stealth block" from 1-2 AM, though that would be a shame, but keep it from getting edited too much.

It's already been announced for Toonami.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote
So happy its licensed finally! Its got the perfect home. And Cartoon Network deserves the reward from the massive ratings its sure to get.

But what bothers me is the immature backlash from many of the crybabies who saw it for free or bootlegged. They will complain at (insert site where they get the fansub here) no matter who gets the rights.They dont seem to care about the economics and mechanics involved into bring Naruto to a wider audience. They dont care about Studio Peirrot or Masashi Kishimoto.

it bothers me they think they are entilted to Naruto for free, and no one else should have it.

It bothers me that these people think they are better than the millions who will enjoy it with its edits, and get the same joy out of it. They will take any excuse not to support an unedited release here in the states.

I have nothing against fansubs, just the attitudes of many fansubbers that ruin naruto for the rest of us.
Kasu-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
Hmn, I really don't know what to think at this point. While it is a great move for Viz (dear God, let's hope that they don't mess it up), it's hard to say how fans who have seen the fansub have seen it. Yes, I'm relieved that 4 Kids didn't get their Satanic Pokemon-coated hands on it, but at the same time I wish that FuniMation (who has been getting better in leaps and bounds as I can see) didn't get it.

I was distraught when I found out, but really people, you don't have to bitch! Regardless, Naruto is going to be popular here as well (which means that the fandom is going to explode. Dear God help us veterans). Hopefully (though I think I've lost hope in there being a good dub) Viz does a good translation. God, that series is going to end up being expensive... Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
I'm just surprised that FUNimation didn't get it. This kind of show is up their alley, then again Viz does have a penchant for being able to tap money maker series.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Wow. I'm really happy to see there aren't as many ingrates here as I've seen in other anime forums.

I don't get angry often nor do I like insulting other people, but after seeing the responses of other people like:

----------
"I had wanted to buy Naruto DVDs but looks like now I never will. Enjoy your 3 episodes a disc and ass-video boxsets, guys."

"Can't wait for 'Art of the Doppleganger'"

" 'Art of me and my shadow' NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"Glad I'm buying the R2s. You guys are f**ked. Viz is just as bad as 4kids, in my book."
----------

I'm glad the members here aren't as immature and spoiled as these people.

If you end up not liking the dub, switch the audio track. If you don't like the subtitle translation, memorize the attack names you got from the fansubs and be able to recite them at will. If you don't want to buy 3 episodes a DVD, then wait a few years and just watch it on Cartoon Network.

All in all, just be grateful that all of us are now going to be able see it. I mean, things could be worse. Don't lose sight of what we should be thankful for in life.
UberTai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Here are some things that I hope ShoPro does with Naruto:

1) I hope they translate the ninja techniques. I'm probably alone of this topic, but I hated looking at the top of the screen to read a translation of an attack that was left in Romanji on the main subtitles. This is probably just a pet peeve of mine.

2) Of course, I hope that episode placement is done in a professional manner. This doesn't always mean to cram the DVD full of episodes, but this does mean to keep it so that the last episode on the disc ends it well. Cliff hangers are the worst part of getting anime DVDs, then waiting 2-3 months for the next disc.

Just two things I really hope are incorporated in the release of DVDs, along with the original language kept in contact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jay saenz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
So the new dragoll ball... sorry Naruto, have been licensed.
Since i have seen the 2 first seasons and i really didn t care to follow the rest, its ok for me. Naruto is after all, a mainstream anime.

Congratulations to all the american naruto fans that can play the guru now that the anime is on the mainstream tv channels You will be surrounded by hords of kids asking you for information and you can find the action figures soon at any Toys R Us...

I just hope that Beck never make it to the mainstream... since its not about a bunch of dump marcial arts fighters with special powers, i think that i can live in peace...
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

I'm glad the members here aren't as immature and spoiled as these people.

Thats because people dont come here for free fansubs Laughing

I've read a lot of those comments, and they make me sad for the anime industry in general.

I used to hate the term Narutard (since I am a fan of Naruto), but ya know, its starting to fit more and more.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
About friggn' time, or is it. Confused Now that I have seen pretty far in to the series, so I have to wait for alittle while before they can catch up to were the series is at. But I can deal with it. I guess the games are going to be released by Bandai (who doesn't think so needs to get their gamer head check.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Septeus7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
Here are some things that I hope ShoPro does with Naruto:

1) I hope they translate the ninja techniques. I'm probably alone of this topic, but I hated looking at the top of the screen to read a translation of an attack that was left in Romanji on the main subtitles. This is probably just a pet peeve of mine.

I say it depends how well they translate those techniques. I say either translate well and give us cool, accurate, and clever techniques titles or don't brother to translate at all.

I'm glad Cartoon Network got this series....it will pay off....unless they pull a Rurouni Kenshin (I'll still bitter about that....)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10