• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime hairstyles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote
So, this might be a bit of a rococco topic, but here goes. Has anyone else noticed trends in hairstyles of anime characters? Since I've been really paying attention (read: watching fansubs of current series), over the past couple years I've seen certain hairstyles in the main characters.

Last year, it seemed that most folks enjoyed the "antennae" look, with Akane from Kiminozo leading the group (and doesn't she have the same character design as Hinata from Wind?), while this year's clique seems to be centred around the "wisp-of-hair-going-in-a-totally-different-direction" style featured prominently by Mai from Mai-HiME, Haruka and Kantarou from Tactics and others. And yes, I know that Kazuma from Yakikate Ja-Pan seems to disprove this theory, but I still proffer it.

Has this sort of thing happened before this year, or were other features in the anime physique featured heavily? Do things like this come and go? Do we go from character designs to music to backgrounds or...?

Just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote
In the case of Ghost in the Shell, Motoko Kusanagi in the film (from 1994) has this mullet-with-bangs look that really makes her look like she came out of the 80's. But, back then, that could have just been an attempt at a "futuristic" style.

For Stand Alone Complex, Kusanagi gets the same haircut, but a flatter top and pointer bangs, which now looks to us in the '00s more like a "future" hairstyle than the movies' mullet-style cut.

The above illustrates the fact that anime hairstyles get just as much care as actor's hairstyles in films and theater. Most Animation designers try to take the look of the time and the personal tastes of the person, and reproduce on paper a person whose hairstyle, like in real life, gives us an idea of who they are.

One of the other hairstyles of note is Read or Die's Yomiko Readman. Her hair is uncombed and all over the place -- a sign that she really doesn't take care of her own looks over her books. It gives her a "mousy" look that's more childish than a woman of her age would normally be. spoiler[(Even when she reappears in R.O.D. The TV, her hairstyle especially makes her look to the viewer like a person younger than her actual 30 years)]

Also of note with hairstyles is the "crazy angle" style, as seen in Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy 7) and Yugi Moto (Yu-Gi-Oh!). This hairstyle tends to crop up in a lot of Japanese animation, in which the hair is drawn in hard angles and points, creating this spiky-haired look. This hair is so crazy, though, your eyes can't really wander far from such a chaotic style. It's the first feature you would notice about this character.

(This look was so popular in Japanese RPGs in the anime style that they were applied to the heroes of the RPG parodies RPG World and Adventurers!)
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
Maybee it's a conspiracy Shocked . Maybee all the directors get together with their art designers and talk and draw new hair styles.

Or its just a coincidence. I mean, it seems that, (in america at least) movies (live-action) come out at the time according to their Genre. All horror comes at at once, all war, all romance. so why cant the same thing happen in anime? I mean, there are certain hair stlyes for certain anime genres, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1