• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Nelina Poject

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rex510

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm a 16 year old boy from Scotland and I have started some dawings for a story board for some time now and I was wondering If I had a story line ,characters,places set out how long would it take me to get a short film made.
I'm estimating 5-6 years.
The Anime I'm working on is The Nelina Project. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, first you might want to consider if you want to make the film yourself or see if someone would edit it for you.

Next, you'll need copyrights, so that no one can challenge that it's your work.

After that, you will have to buy video editing software (Adobe is considered the best, but high priced, while Windows Movie Maker and iMovie are free with Windows and Apple, but have very few features) and a tool called a "Wacom Tablet" that allows you to draw your animation straight into the computer, then use video editing software to animate your product and add audio to the production.

Finally, you will need something to put the video on once you are done so that you can see if someone would want to publish it -- which means buying a DVD-R or DVD-RW. (You can also find space online to give people a download portal and webpage for your work if you want to self-distribute it.)

Overall, if you get everything above and do everything above...
it only depends on how long it takes to put your cels into the computer. I don't think it would take 5-6 years, though. If you work hard at it, and you get friends to help you out at points (and provide some voices), you might be able to do it in half that time. Smile
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
There was a Japanese guy, named Makoto Shinkai, who did something similar once. I'm sure if you try to dig up some info about how he did it and how long it took him it should prove useful.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Are you intending to sell this idea to a Japanese studio in hopes it will be made into a television series? If so, you're in for a few problems.

1. Having a story etc may be great, but the basis for most productions is money, and the possibility of even more money.

2. Language. Most, nearly 99% and beyond of work done in Japanese series is conducted in, of course, Japanese. This goes from actual animation, to direction, production, negotiations for foreign licenses or even getting the thing made. assuming you have money though, you can hire translators and bilingual lawyers to handle this.

3. Reputation, Experience. Most current creators in Japan that are currently at the status they're at (head of production etc) are there due to years apon years of experience. They've been through all aspects of production, weather it be Japanese live action, or Animation. Usually Westerners aren't involved so much because it's a very closed industry (they have enough cheap labour that can speak Japanese, who already live in Japan). People like Quintien Tarantino can get what they want because they are internationally recognised people.

Having an idea is fine, but don't expect that to get you all the way. You'll need financial backing, technical expertise and a shitload of experience in whichever role you'll play in production, and probably experience in Japanese if you're not a big recognised name.

So unless you're rich, don't expect it to happen any time soon. (and be aware that what you have at the moment is not, infact, Anime. It's nothing, for now)
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
Tell us what it's about. :)

(edit) And let's see those drawings too to see just how professional you are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rex510

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote
I have Adobe and I have only a couple of friends helping me on this one.
I need a scanner cause my old one is broken when I get a new 1 I will show you some of the drawings i've done for it.
K thanks for your help.

The start of the story:
We find Nelina in a dream(not knowing its a dream just now)and she is searching for something that the veiwers dont know what it is and she sees a beam of light as she walks to it ,it moves further away from her and we see that the light is a light on a giant airship.As she is about to touch we find her waking up sweating and crying.
Theres a sneek very brief part of the story as I've got pages of it and cannot be bothered writting it here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:23 am Reply with quote
Since it seems like you're aiming at doing this yourself, I suggest you look into the work of www.studioartfx.com . From what I read, the 2 DVDs produced by this guy have some interesting tutorials about how to produce your own animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1