• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your favorite Animation/Production Studio

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
So what animation studio you think did an excellent job on the anime you like or are the most consistent. Basically, the most impressive studio.

The Big ones are:

Sunrise: Gundam series, Bebop, Inu Yasha, Scryed
Bones Studio: Wolf's Rain, Fullmetal Alchemist, Rahxephon
Production I.G: Ghost in the Shell, Kill Bill
Gainax: Eveangelion FLCL
Studio Pierrot: GTO, Bleach, Naruto
Gonzo: Fullmetal Panic, Hellsing, Samurai 7, Gantz

Madhouse Production: Ninja Scrol, Fighting Spirit, Trigun, Tokyo Godfather
Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away, Howl's Castle, Totoro, Princess Mononoke
Toei Animation: One Piece, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon
Anime International Company: Ahh My Goddess, Tenchi, Burn Up Series
Xebec: Love Hina, Shaman King, Stellvia

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:35 am Reply with quote
Out of this you gave, it's hard to say. As far as sheer animation quality I would have to Production I.G., really they are second to none. Still, when it cames to my favorite series I would have to pick Sunrise; with CB, Escaflowne, Scryed, Crest of the Stars, etc. they almost never miss with creating good shows. I also don't want to compare Ghibli with any of these other studios, Gibli is in a class by itself and will always stay there. Smile
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:18 am Reply with quote
I would deffinately say Ghibli just because i have yet to see an anime from them that i have really not liked. Followed up by sunrise, gainax, and gonzo.
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:56 am Reply with quote
Definitly, I like Madhouse (Texhnolyze, X, Gunslinger girls, Boogiepop, Monster, Perfect blue, Millenium Actress and so...)
Then, it's Gonzo (Gankutsuou, Gantz, Last Exile, Hellsing), followed up by Production IG (GitS, Jin Roh) and Bee Train (Madlax, Noir)
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:41 am Reply with quote
Madhouse and Bones have been impressing me a ton recently, but my standby personal favorite has always been AIC. AIC always seems to bring a real sense of beauty and warmth to their creations.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
I like Madhouse. Their work on X (TV) is spectacular in my opinion. Up to the point of when I saw that show, I didn't think a TV series could be that fluid in terms of animation. Texhnolyze is also very fluid doing an excellent job of providing that strong imagery it's suppose to, and I still haven't gotten tired of watching Ninja Scroll yet.

And also, I'd like to add Studio DEEN for their work on Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen, R.O.D. (OAV), and R.O.D. the TV, specifically. I like the style they use within the action sequences.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I love more Studio Pierrot anime than any other studio, but more for the old school series Urusei Yatsura and Kimagure Orange Road. However, my favourite anime series of the past decade or so, Super Gals!, was also animated by Pierrot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
If you had asked this 4 years ago, I would have said Gainax, hands down. Unfortunately, their recent work hasn't really been up to par... Just a random thought.

I've always been impressed with the consistency of the quality in animation at Madhouse. Everything I've seen animated by them, whether it's for tv or feature film, is just beautiful. My favorite thing they've ever animated is probably the "Stink Bomb" segment of Memories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The problem here is we're not distinguishing between animation studios and production companies. There's a difference, but I'm not sure how to figure out how that would play into this-for example, a bunch of Gainax's stuff post-Eva is actually animated by I.G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Studio Ghibli, hands down, money on the table.

As for lesser mortals, Sunrise and Studio Pierrot aren't that bad. I'm not a fan of Toei or Madhouse, really. Oh, production I.G.'s alright....I haven't seen much of their stuff, but their work on FLCL was great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
And also, I'd like to add Studio DEEN for their work on Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen, R.O.D. (OAV), and R.O.D. the TV, specifically. I like the style they use within the action sequences.

I totally agree. The action sequences and animation in both are good. Lately i have been watching R.O.D. and the fight scenes in it are so great they give me goosebumps when i watch them and then i just sit there like this Shocked (especially in the beginning of R.O.D. OAV when the guy blows up the Library building. i must of watched that scene a million times)
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Ghibli. I have yet to see something by them that I don't like, and they made the 1st animes that I saw, so its more of a more personal reason for liking them (as opposed to them being better than the others)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Studio Ghibli, no contest. Honestly, if they ever produce a film I don't like, I'll eat my socks. Incidentally, my socks are really disguisting at the moments because I couldn't find any clean socks, so I had to pick up an old pair off the floor instead. Shocked Yeah, I'm gross. I like to think that it's part of my *grunge* image, though.

As for why I like them? Besides the fact that virtually all of my favorite anime are from Ghibli, I also love their animation. It's got quite a unique flair, no?
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly enough I would have to go with Studio 4C. Why? Because they do a lot experimental anime shorts, most of which I enjoy very much. They are always of such quality that other anime studios can only dream of, and they are clearly not made with profit in mind. Anyone who puts so much work into something without financial gain in mind should be commended for it.

The anime short [url]Comedy[/url] by Studio 4C is prolly my favourite piece and animation ever, period. If it was just a little longer it might even be able to topple Evangelion from the top of my favourite anime of all time list. In fact my avatar is from that anime; there is just something about the Kuroi Kenshin character that connects with me in the same way that Ayanami from Eva does.

Anywaste, other anime shorts they have made, which are, in my opinion, great:

Noiseman The Sound Insect:

This is actually a fully 3D short piece of animation, and it simply blew me away. I've always hated 3D graphics in movies and never cared for them being used in anime, because they look awkward and out of place. Furthermore, lately I've become concerned with the notion that they might one day replace 2D animation. But after seeing Soundman I have to say, that if the 3D animation that replaces the 2D kind, in anyway, resembles Noiseman I would, not only, not mind it, but actually would be thrilled. I swear to god that if currently existing 2D anime could, somehow, magically be transformed into 3D, it would look exactly like Noiseman. The characters look exactly as one would expect from anime, just that they are in 3D and everything is stupefyingly fluid. Anywaste, it is evident that a lot of work into making that piece of animation, so I commend them for having made it.

Eternal Family:

This is a half hour piece of animation that really defies description. It is quite amazing how much story they managed to condense down in that half hour. It is quite artistic, but not so much that it would only appeal to artists and artistic people while turning the rest of the population off. Personally, I don’t really like it when things get too artsy fartsy, like in certain anime (*cough*) Evangelion (*cough*) but I quite enjoyed this. Although it is what one would call, weird, it is still quite easy to tell what is going on.

Mindgame:

While I have yet to see this I have heard very, very good things about it. This is actually not a short but a full-length anime movie, but I still put it in category with the rest as it sounds like it is experimental in the vein of Eternal Family.

I was lucky enough to track down Comedy on DVD with English subtitles and while the rest of the aforementioned titles do exist on DVD in Japan, I highly doubt that they have English subtitles, which is a shame.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Production IG and Ghibli do some nice stuff, and Madhouse ain't bad either, but none of them can touch Studio 4 Degrees C. They've also done the wonderful collection of shorts Digital Juice, and the final segment of it (Aerial Bar) is both the creepiest and most innovative piece of animation I've ever seen come out of Japan.

Wouldn't say Eternal Family is really 'artsy' per se...Koji Morimoto's designs are pretty damn awesome, but it's got the same screenwriter as the better episodes of Samurai Champloo...in that vein of humor. But weirder.

And I've seen Mind Game. One of the best anime films I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. Maybe even the best. And while it is very experimental in its visuals, the storytelling doesn't suffer at all. The Japanese DVD does have English subtitles, and is very much worth it.

Last edited by jfrog on Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2