• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
subs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:31 am Reply with quote
I know that alot of people perfer Subs over Dubs. But my question is when you are watching the anime with subs on, do you watch it with the english or japaneese diolauge...?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote
What would be the point of using subs if you were running the dubbed English version simultaneously? Unless, of course, your English skills were very poor.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
Well, i was asumming that, the people that watch it with subs are usually appaled by the dub so the watch the original japanese versions...
B33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I know that alot of people perfer Subs over Dubs. But my question is when you are watching the anime with subs on, do you watch it with the english or japaneese diolauge...?

You put the subtitles on english with original japanese language.
Most Anime Dvds include a japanese english version with english subtitles...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Well for the most part I'll put subs on when watching a show in Japanese because I usually enjoy the original voices much more than the dubbed ones.

However, if I'm at a friend's house I may sometimes let them watch it in English so at the same time I can listen to and evalutate the dub myself and hear the difference. And most of the time I'll leave the subs on to see if there's any change in dialogue or something (*cough* ADV).
Nionel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, I'll watch the dubbed version with the subs on to see if there are any major script changes between the two versions, though I do understand that sometimes changing dialouge is necessary to match mouth movement, otherwise your anime will end up like an old Godzilla movie ;p
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I prefer Quiznos' Subs over Subway because they taste better and --

Whoops, wrong subs. I sometimes watch the English dub with English subtitles because companies like ADV have a tendency to alter the storyline a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
And most of the time I'll leave the subs on to see if there's any change in dialogue or something
in Iria:
dubbed: you do that and you'll be sorry!
subbed: you do that and your ass is mine!

I like to turn on subs so I can read the lines more quickly that if I was listening to it (most people can read faster than the characters speak).
unless its one thats really philisophical and has beautiful images, then I just use subs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jagozon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
(most people can read faster than the characters speak).

i watch most of my anime in Dub ,because i can read that good or fast,but my friend says that real anime fans watch theres in Sub.
So does watching it in Dub make me any less of an animefan?

Last edited by jagozon on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
jagozon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
How do you get a quote from a nother persons post and put it on yours?
(im new at this)
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
jagozon wrote:
How do you get a quote from a nother persons post and put it on yours?
(im new at this)

Do you see the button that says "quote" right next to the "reply" button that you used?
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote
I usually watch my anime in Japanese with Eng subs because i enjoy the japanese voices much more than the english ones. There are occasions when i will watch an anime in eng dub. Those are if i am with friends, who hate to have to read, and sometimes if the dialoge is just way tooooo fast. For example in Excel Saga, i would sometimes change it to eng dub because excel would be rambling so fast that i couldn't keep up. But if it is in english it is a whole lot easier to here what she is saying then reading it.
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:59 am Reply with quote
jagozon wrote:

So does watching it in Dub make me any less of an animefan?

Because dub sux. Japanese voices are chosen with care unlike in a dubbed version.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:05 am Reply with quote
Watching a dub doesn't make you any less of an anime fan. Fandom is not determined by memorization of trivia, amount of merchandise, or viewing habits. It's determined by how much enjoyment you get out of watching anime.

Ignore Sakurazukamori. Enjoy your dubs if you choose. Enjoy subs if you choose. With DVD's, you can choose so it doesn't hurt anyone which you choose. The important thing is to enjoy.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Watching a dub doesn't make you any less of an anime fan. Fandom is not determined by memorization of trivia, amount of merchandise, or viewing habits. It's determined by how much enjoyment you get out of watching anime.

Ignore Sakurazukamori. Enjoy your dubs if you choose. Enjoy subs if you choose. With DVD's, you can choose so it doesn't hurt anyone which you choose. The important thing is to enjoy.
He has a point. However, I still enjoy subs more then dubs. I don't mind dubs, but they usually cut out everything. Uncut dubs, on the other hand...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4