• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter x hunter

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elniro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:16 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching all of hunter x hunter and i have to say it's pretty good.

But does anyone know if there's a new OVA/series of hunter x hunter coming out? and if so when is it expected to come out in Japan?

Also in the TV series through to the 2nd OVA, the fansub refers to Gon's dad as Jin, while in 3rd OVA its shown as Ging, now was this a mistake by the fansubbers or was it that the producers decided to change his name so that the first letter of his name would be the first letter of the "Greed Island" videogame?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Subtitling error. Until that point he had no "official" Romanized name, so any variation on Jin, Djinn, Gin, Ging, Jing, etc. would have been speculation. Greed Island confirmed that it at least starts with a "G".

So you finished the series, does that include Greed Island Final? If so, that's the last anime for the series (so far). I wouldn't expect a new anime any time soon. Currently the manga (which you can find on the Internet) is into the next arc, the Chimera Ant arc, but it hasn't finished yet, and his pace is rather slow. They might do a "half arc" OVA like they did with Green Island, but I doubt we'll see anything new being animated for at least a year or so, maybe two. I hope they do continue to make OVAs of each Arc though, it's a nice compromise for a long for manga like this (wish they'd done it with Recca and Berserk too).
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched all of this yet even though I have all of it hehe.
It boggles my mind why there IS NOT a movie.....(sighs). I also hope this gets dubbed as well :) it be well recieved over here in the USA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they could run the TV series and the, what, 24 or so OVA episodes all as a single show on Saturday nights. I'm sure it'd go over great. The only problem with the marketability of HXH is that about 6/10ths of the show is very light and well suited to a young audience, and the other 4/10ths is rather dark and violent. It'd be difficult for CN to figure out the ideal timeslot for it, but probably one of the later ones, around Yuyu or so.
lyger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
did hunter x hunter end or is going too come back soon

i dont get why it ended in japan after 62 eps and now has about 3 OVA,s is it just now going too be just OVA.s

from what i here Naruto badly damaged hxh popularity in japan
elniro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
ok thanks ohoni

Naruto prob damaged hunter x hunter popularity because it's still ongoing, whereas hunter x hunter finished some time ago, but when a new series of hxh is released it's popularity will probably go back up
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
They should have stopped at episode 62 TV series. The last OVA GI final was pretty good but the other two plain sucked. Surprised
I wonna see Gon vs. Hisoka fight and more of Krapica. The TV series did a great job with characters and story but it ended where it shouldn't have. The story moved forward Greed Island instead finishing the story of Gon and Hoisoka and Krapica and the Spiders. I also wanted to see more of Hanzo (the bold ninja).
Anyways, the OVA's are big letdown for me and it would have been wiser to make more of the TV series.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
You guys DO know there's a manga, right? It's currently ongoing.

The reason HXH starts and stops is because the mangaka is fairly slow (I heard he also got sick at some point which slowed him down even worse).

Anyways, the TV series caught up with the manga, so they had no more material and decided to stop (like other series such as Flame of Recca). The manga continued, and the series as a whole remained popular, so they made the first OVA. That worked out well, the manga continued, and they made the second OVA, etc.

The manga is still ongoing, and while they probably have enough manga material to put together another 6-12 episode OVA run, they might wait until the end of the current storyline to do so, if they do another series at all.

Personally, my favorite arc in HXH was the Greed Island one, although that's probably because I love MMORPGs and CCGs, and Greed Island is BOTH! Wink
lyger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote
Quote:
You guys DO know there's a manga, right? It's currently ongoing.

i knew that
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1