• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Persona 4 The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:

Not even remotely true.

Do you not remember Demon King Daimao?
(I'd also like to point out that even with it being on CR, it still pulled in good enough numbers that they decided to dub it just from that alone)

Or let's go with the most recent case from last season, No. 6?

It has been long enough since Demon King Daimao was licensed that I honestly don't recall if TAN announced it first, but in the case of No. 6, it was well after CR had announced it (as evidenced by TAN currently being up to episode 8, while CR posted the final episode 12 days ago).

Crunchyroll has not shown any signs of requiring exclusives on the titles they license for simulcast (which probably helps keep the cost down).

Obviously, TAN, Funimation, or anyone else cannot obtain an exclusive license to a simulcast if CR has already licensed it, but they can also license it.

As your claim my statement was "Not even remotely true", please point to a single simulcast since Daimao by TAN (or Funimation, for that matter), that was announced first by them, and then later by Crunchyroll.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
While I would love the same cast as the game, beggars can’t be choosers. I’m grateful they will be releasing this in NA, and it will be nice to hear the JP voices.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

It has been long enough since Demon King Daimao was licensed that I honestly don't recall if TAN announced it first, but in the case of No. 6, it was well after CR had announced it (as evidenced by TAN currently being up to episode 8, while CR posted the final episode 12 days ago).

Crunchyroll has not shown any signs of requiring exclusives on the titles they license for simulcast (which probably helps keep the cost down).

Obviously, TAN, Funimation, or anyone else cannot obtain an exclusive license to a simulcast if CR has already licensed it, but they can also license it.

As your claim my statement was "Not even remotely true", please point to a single simulcast since Daimao by TAN (or Funimation, for that matter), that was announced first by them, and then later by Crunchyroll.

Your statement was generalized.
Therefore making it "Not even remotely true".

TheAncientOne wrote:

Being licensed by Sentai means it will not be on Crunchyroll

Where in this statement did you specify "announced first by them, and then later by Crunchyroll"?

And even if you did allude to that, the fact that Demon King Daimao was licensed and announced first before CR, still makes your statement false.

True, that it doesn't happen often and hasn't happened since, but the fact that it actually has happened, means that there will always be a chance that it will again.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
I don't really like watching dubs, so the big news for me is that this will most likely be simulcast. Even if I like it enough to get the DVDs, I won't be watching it in English, so not really concerned with whether they get the game's voice cast. Hooray!
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
TronBonne wrote:
beggars can’t be choosers.

For Anime, we can be picky and spoiled
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:

Your statement was generalized.
Therefore making it "Not even remotely true".

TheAncientOne wrote:

Being licensed by Sentai means it will not be on Crunchyroll

Where in this statement did you specify "announced first by them, and then later by Crunchyroll"?

And even if you did allude to that, the fact that Demon King Daimao was licensed and announced first before CR, still makes your statement false.

True, that it doesn't happen often and hasn't happened since, but the fact that it actually has happened, means that there will always be a chance that it will again.

Note that in my original statement, I made no reference to the past. That was something you brought up, which I then responded to.

I stand by my original statement, "Being licensed by Sentai means it will not be on Crunchyroll" as being true in the here and now.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
First of all, here is what we know for certain: the show starts airing in Japan on October 6th. This means it will likely be one of Anime Network's simulcasts for the season. It may also air on Hulu, and possibly end up on PSN like High School of The Dead did.

Secondly, we know it is getting a bluray release next year. So far Sentai has only released dubbed shows on bluray. They've even said they aren't interested in doing sub-only blurays at the present time. Of course that could have changed, but it likely means that the bluray will be dubbed.

I'd give the chances of the video game cast being used at 50%. In fact, I'd say it's more likely that Sentai would use the original cast than if Funimation had got it. Has everyone already forgot Trigun Badlands? They didn't even bother getting most of the cast back for that one, and it's only 1 movie. What makes you think they would fly the entire cast to Texas for a 25 episode series? (And yes, Funimation is in Texas, NOT California.) The only time Funi has really done that was Slayers, and even then it was not the entire original cast. They haven't done it since. Remember, we still don't know the dubbing status of shows like Black Lagoon, Hellsing, and Shana.

ADV had a mixed track record on this in the past as well. The Slayers movies were mostly recast, as was Comic Part Remix. However, they did outsource the dub for Ah My Goddess Season 2 to NYAV Post, and the YUA Movies to Coastal Carolina. Sentai also recently contracted Bang Zoom for the Rozen Maiden OVA, and ADV used them in the past for a few shows as well.

The chances of them looking into using the original dub cast is about 100%. Whether or not it actually happens will depend on a number of factors, likely including the success of the streams and how it influences their budget for the show, and whether they can reach a deal with a West Coast studio like Bang Zoom. If they do decide to utilize the original cast, it would likely be more cost and time effective for them to outsource it rather than fly all the actors to Houston. So this is why I believe it's about 50/50.

Also, I don't know why someone would say Sentai was struggling. They don't dub less popular and more niche shows, but at least they're releasing them unlike Funimation who simply passes them over. They've increased the number of dubs their producing. Unlike everyone else in R1, including Funimation, they can actually hit their street dates and they don't need to reschedule shows four or five times (like Funi and Rosario + Vampire or Media Blasters and just about everything they release). And now they are doing several simulcasts every season, and actually confirming they've licensed the shows, unlike Funimation. Being smart about what shows to sink your resources into isn't really sign of a struggling company, and if it were than you would have to say that all the R1 distributors are on death's door.

DC has said the most professional and sensible thing regaurding this topic.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
agila61 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Sentai > Different dub cast > Not worth giving a shit.
Hooray, we get a level-up from "no dub, don't care" to "no dub with the game English dub cast, don't care". Because there just can never be enough reasons on our "instantly dismiss an anime series" checklist.

Supposing that "multiple sources" means it will have a subtitled simulcast accessible from somewhere in North America, I wonder whether the sub would be worth watching?

And while I don't care intently one way or the other, such a sub would actually have the original VA cast.

Yeah, the original is the best for this, its basically an all-star cast of Seiyuu. Yui Horie, Rie Kugimiya, Ami Koshimizu, Romi Paku, Kappei Yamaguchi, Daisuke Namikawa. But I can understand people who are used to the game who want to hear the dub voices.

I argee with you and Rukiia. People are bitching about a anime that being simlucast that has NOT even aired yet.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

minakichan wrote:
Cool move, Sentai. Hope this comes out on Crunchyroll or the likes first.
Being licensed by Sentai means it will not be on Crunchyroll, as CR competes with their own streaming service, The Anime Network (which you can expect to simulcast it).
Not even remotely true.

Do you not remember Demon King Daimao?
Yes, before TAN did exclusive simulcasts, their very first simulcast was a deal where they shared a simulcast with Crunchyroll. And then AFAIR, a string of exclusive simulcasts until they shared No. 6 with Crunchyroll.

The recent Sentai license announcement that on its face supports ruling out a shared license with Crunchyroll is Horizon, where TAN is named as the simulcast partner in the Sentai announcement. The Persona 4 and Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! pressers by Sentai were more circumspect, only saying "through many outlets".

However, what has not yet happened is TAN streaming the whole season on free streaming in competition with the Crunchyroll subscriber streaming period. The Demon King Daimo stream was when TAN only streamed the first few episodes for free and the No. 6 stream was on a substantial delay to the Crunchyroll stream.

So if we take past results as a predictor of future performance, Persona 4 is not likely to be shared with Crunchyroll. However, its wise to remember that past results are not necessarily a predictor of future performance ~ just because that has not happened yet does not actually guarantee that it won't happen someday.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

However, what has not yet happened is TAN streaming the whole season on free streaming in competition with the Crunchyroll subscriber streaming period. The Demon King Daimo stream was when TAN only streamed the first few episodes for free and the No. 6 stream was on a substantial delay to the Crunchyroll stream.

Demon King Daimo was in free streaming competition with CrunchyRoll

Look at the PR.
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2010-03-30/new-school-comedy-series-ichiban-ushiro-no-daimao-to-begin-simulcasting-this-april-on-anime-network-online

And this is probably why it pulled the numbers that it did.
Free HD streaming vs. Paid HD streaming

agila61 wrote:
...yet does not actually guarantee that it won't happen someday.

And this, right here, was my whole problem with his generalize statement.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Demon King Daimo was in free streaming competition with CrunchyRoll

I thought I had recalled that the stream was one of their "guest 1st, free subscriber 2nd, paid subscriber after that" series, but perhaps I was remembering a series I was actually interested in sampling.

It is in any event still ancient history as far as streaming strategies goes, especially for TAN since it was before they started exclusive simulcasts. Something that a streaming site tried for their first simulcast and then never repeated since is clearly not a highly favored strategy.

The Coffee God wrote:
agila61 wrote:
...yet does not actually guarantee that it won't happen someday.

And this, right here, was my whole problem with his generalize statement.
But saying, "will not be shared with Crunchyroll unless there has been a recent change of strategy that we are not privy to" (and clearly it will almost certainly not be shared with Crunchyroll) and saying "it will not happen" is really saying the same thing. The first just makes the qualification explicit, while in the second its understood by any reasonable reader.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
TronBonne wrote:
While I would love the same cast as the game, beggars can’t be choosers. I’m grateful they will be releasing this in NA, and it will be nice to hear the JP voices.

Who's begging? There was no way this wasn't going to get licensed.
Max465

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
no, No, NO, NO, NO, NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!

fudge THIS SHIT!! SENTAI STAY THE fudge AWAY!! DUBIT, USE THE ORIGINAL CAST OR KINDLY GET THE fudge OUT!!

I haven't minded Sentai doing what they have done, because usually they dub what I want dubbed, and sub what I don't care about. And even when they did a sub only release to something I cared about I tolerated it because that's what they do.

But this, This is something that has a game, with an english cast, AN ENGLISH CAST THAT PEOPLE LIKE! So, Sentai, Dub this, or give it to someone else. Preferably Bandai or Viz, because Funi would just Funimize it. Anime hyper
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Max465 wrote:
But this, This is something that has a game, with an english cast, AN ENGLISH CAST THAT PEOPLE LIKE! So, Sentai, Dub this, or give it to someone else. Preferably Bandai or Viz, because Funi would just Funimize it. Anime hyper

The game's English script was already 'Funimized'.

This situation is interesting though.. it's interesting seeing some double standards on why a game changing a script/being a bad dub is more acceptable than your average anime changing the dub script/being a bad dub.
kazume

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

This situation is interesting though.. it's interesting seeing some double standards on why a game changing a script/being a bad dub is more acceptable than your average anime changing the dub script/being a bad dub.

Maybe because people more than often "Role Play" into a main/sub character more in a video game than in an Anime which already has a set characterization based off of the original works intention?

"oh yeah that's my bro, he's always gonna be in my PT because he compliments what I don't have on my char."

"Oh yeah she's the girl im gonna end up with at the end of the game, her voice is hawt." (This is me with Chie btw, never ONCE left my pt Anime hyper)

Things like that... I dunno, that's the best I could come up with Razz

On an obvious note now, if Chie's VA from the game isn't cast, who's for the most part an unkown doing very little work in the business, then it's a no buy for me till the price drops after a while. Sad to say that many people from what I heard didn't really like her voice but one day about 20% into the game, it grew on me to the point where she became my #1 fav character in the game.

"My Trial of the Dragon!!!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7