• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam's Char

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dozi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I have been wondering about this for a while now. Why does Char in all the Gundam's wear a mask all the time?

Thanks.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
To hide his true identity.
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Char only wears a mask in Mobile Suit Gundam. In Zeta he wears sunglasses and in Char's Counterattack he has no disguise.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
dozi wrote:
I have been wondering about this for a while now. Why does Char in all the Gundam's wear a mask all the time?

Watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam TV series (or movie trilogy if you want save money). It'll be pretty obvious when they get to that point of the story.
IronBy311

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
In the Mobile Suit Gundam Novel there's also another reason char wears his mask, spoiler[he scars his face on purpose as a physical reminder of the Zabi's betrayl by assasinating his father and also to keep his goal of destroying the Zabi family always in the forefront]
Akumajou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
dozi wrote:

Thanks.

He wore the mask during the One Year War because he feared his true indentity being discovered since he is the Ped Comet and was seriously into the Pre-Seventeen year old girls.

Thats the real reason that Haman was very angry at him, because once she reached 18, he lost interest and moved on to other chicks.

During CCA, since he had no disguise, his disguise was the older girl he was dating but when he laid eyes on Quess in that Sailor School Girl uniform his temptations got the best of him.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Char wore a disguise in order to get close to the Zabi family to do certain things.

The Char "clones" in the other series, I'm not sure about. I haven't seen Wing and have no idea why Zechs has a mask. And I also don't know La Creuset's reason in SEED.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:

The Char "clones" in the other series, I'm not sure about. I haven't seen Wing and have no idea why Zechs has a mask. And I also don't know La Creuset's reason in SEED.

Im not sure if its even explained. Its been a while since i watched any Wing (though I've got two more dvds of it to watch now)

I know theres a charecter in the Wing manga side story "The Last Outpost" who wears a silver mask, which kinda made me think of Char
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Zech's reason for wearing a mask is the same as Char's to avenge his father. As for the guy from SEED I have no idea.
sariyana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there like, one guy from every gundam series who wears a mask?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Char's reason for wearing the mask is a little more pragmatic than Zechs' -- if he doesn't wear it, he'll be recognized. Zechs might be recognized by members of the Alliance military, but as a member of OZ (whose leaders already know his identity), that doesn't really matter. It's been several years since I last watched Wing, but if I recall correctly, Zechs continues wearing the mask even after he takes his revenge, and I think he said he does it because he's ashamed that he isn't living up to his father's pacifist ideals.

As for Rau, he never really gave a reason for wearing the mask. People assume it's probably because he looks a lot like Mu and/or Mu's father, but I don't know why that would really matter, particularly since they don't exactly have face to face encounters every day. He is shown without the mask in the third SEED special, and there's nothing terribly unusual about him. Of course, it's hard to tell if he looks like Mu, since all SEED characters look alike (and for once that's not supposed to be a slight against SEED, just a statement of fact...I can't tell if he looks like Mu in a meaningful way, because everyone in the series looks like Mu to begin with).

Quote:
Isn't there like, one guy from every gundam series who wears a mask?

Not every series, but in many shows, yeah.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
Well since I am a huge G-Wing fan (and espically that of my Zechs/Miliardo) allow me to elaborate a little more on the following opinions.
spoiler[ Zechs lost everything as a child, the alliance military had destroy the sanc kingdom, and everything he has ever know. After the tragedy of his family death, he join the alliance military in order to obtain his revenge. His mask allowed him to become Zechs Merquise, a solider who went against all the teaching of his father, the leader of the sanc kingdom. After obtaining the Tallgeese his friend Auto stole the tallageese in order to help Zechs return to the sanc kingdom in order to get revenge. Auto sacifices his life for Zechs allowing him to kill the commander who personally led the attack against the sanc kingdom. After returning to the royal palace Zechs removes his helmet to show his father that he has become unfit to rule thesanc kingdom. He states "My hands are too cover in blood to lead this kingdom." He also points to the fact that his sister (Relena) is the only one left able to rise the kingdom to it old self. The last point of the helmet is the connection between Zechs and Trieze. After the helmet breaks in the battle for power in OZ, Zechs proclaims that he can no longer be Trieze's friend. I think this is part that they are only connected by bloodshed of the former Alliance Military, more so it the end of Zechs Merquise and the begin of Miliardo Peacecraft. ]
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quote
Does anybody know what Char's guise was in his Double Zeta Cameo? I'm thinking "classic Red Comet", but I could be wrong.

Also: Char, Schwarz (G-Gundam) & Zechs all wear Masks, and are also the Elder Brother of a major Character.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:36 am Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
Does anybody know what Char's guise was in his Double Zeta Cameo? I'm thinking "classic Red Comet", but I could be wrong.

The only Double Zeta cameo Char made was in the first intro, "Anime Ja Nai." He was basically dressed as Quattro Bajeena minus the sunglasses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:40 am Reply with quote
I thought he "hosted" the first Episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2