• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yakitate Ja-Pan!! on. . . Food Tv?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a news post, that hasn't been announced, but who here agrees that it would be a perfect fit? Foot TV loves having interesting programing that has food as a main theme, and Yaki would be a hard sell to CN, but it's perfect for the network that regularly runs Iron Chef, right?

For those who haven't seen this show about baking, it really is a great show (hilARIOUS), even if you don't like baking. It's really more of a "sport" show, like Yugioh, Hikaru no Go, Prince of Tennis, etc., just with baking as the "sport". I imagine that it would get a slow start on Food Tv, but that it would quickly gain a growing cult following.

Now all we need to do is get in touch with someone from Food TV. Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's a kids show and Food Network isn't a kids network. They do have a "Cook with Your Kids" campaign running, I guess if they wanted to expand on that they could give it an early morning run, but for now it doesn't have a place on that network.

Don't even try to compare it to Iron Chef. IC is a huge hit because it has an all ages appeal, it's got a great competitive atmosphere and it's real cooking. I've managed to get a lot of my co-workers interested, I doubt I could do the same about a cartoon featuring a kid with warm hands who likes to make bread.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:56 am Reply with quote
How much Yakitatte have you seen? I don't classify it as a "kids show". Sure, it's non-violent and doesn't have mature themes (well, it has some, but not TOO mature), but it's about BAKING, so what can you expect? I'd certainly classify the show as "all ages", because while a kid can certainly watch it, it also has a lot of humor that adults can get into, as well as baking insites that appeal to food lovers.

I'd classify it in the same realm as "Good Eats", a lighthearted and entertaining program about food. It's certainly no more "for kids" than most of their other programing is (I do watch a lot of Food TV).
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I'd classify it in the same realm as "Good Eats", a lighthearted and entertaining program about food. It's certainly no more "for kids" than most of their other programing is (I do watch a lot of Food TV).

Except Good Eats is also real cooking and real science with a host, Alton Brown, who actually writes and directs his own show, not "OMG, he has SOLAR HANDS! He is destined to be the best bread baker EVER!" there's no comparison. If Food Network wanted a food drama they'd pick up some Italian soap opera, not a cartoon from Japan. Even if it's the best food cartoon ever made, Food Network deals with real cooking only, they would never be interested in this.

And if you watch so much then I beg you, please stop calling it "Food TV" it's Food Network. That's like calling Cartoon Network "Cartoon TV".

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I think you watch way too much Food Network emerje. I really dont think its a good idea because I think that the people that watch the food network are interested in real people cooking. It gets boring, though, so I think it would be cool to add an animated program to break the monotony Very Happy

and if it doesnt happen no sweat off my back since I dont even watch the food network Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Slayer wrote:
It gets boring, though, so I think it would be cool to add an animated program to break the monotony Very Happy

If it becomes boring of monotonous then you simply change the channel and watch something that isn't boring or monotonous. Wink For the people that are interested it's neither of those things.

And I do watch too much Food Network, atleast 10 hours a week. It interests me so I watch it, simple as that.

Emerje
kainzero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
i can imagine it on food network, but that's because i like anime.

more sensibly, it just doesn't belong, because they just want to deal with real food. and honestly, i don't think yakitate japan is serious, but more like a parody of sports anime.

some of the recipes in Yakitate are, in fact, real. hopefully, not the mount fuji or the crazy burnt crossiant, but i hear that the steamed/oven rolls that Kawachi makes in Episode 2 are actually real. and bread artisans also do exist. still, given the context and the absurdity, it's hard to tell fact from fiction, and so i don't think it would really belong on food network.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:10 am Reply with quote
Just seeing the shows they DO air though makes me think they'll try anything out to make a show that's both food related and entertaining. There's the show where Rachel Ray travels around, which is sort of about food, but just as much about travel. There's the show where Lisa Loeb and her husband hang out with people who can cook, and there's every variety of cooking show. Not to "Mtv" the channel by making it entertaining at the cost of maintaining it's roots, but I do think Yakitate would be a good fit.

And again, to the detractors, how many eps/chapters of Yakitate have you seen/read, to know that it's not a show that would fit on Food Network? It's got drama and comedy, and yes, helpful hints about baking as well. That sounds like as good a fit as Date Plate, or the Food Hunter.

I just know that I watch Food Network a lot (not 10 hours a week, but at least more than most), and that my weekly anime consists of two girls and three guys, one of which watches Food Network much more than I do, and all five of us became hopelessly addicted to Yakitate as soon as we started watching it, even though none of us believed we'd enjoy it, and there are pretty much no other shows that we can ALL agree are very good.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I saw the first episode, that's irrelevant. As I said, it could be the best cartoon about cooking there ever was, but they just aren't going to show anime on Food Network. They have so many other directions they could go in and expand on that they really dont need it. Yes, they do show a wide variety of different programming, everything from Iron Chef to the Galloping Gourmet, and as out landish as any of those shows seem they all have one thing in common; real people, real food, and real cooking. If a show doesn't have those 3 elements it doesn't go on Food Network and Yakitate Japan has none of those elements.

Emerje
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
its all about Kogepan! Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1