• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Persona 4 The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Sentai > Different dub cast > Not worth giving a shit.
Hooray, we get a level-up from "no dub, don't care" to "no dub with the game English dub cast, don't care". Because there just can never be enough reasons on our "instantly dismiss an anime series" checklist.

Supposing that "multiple sources" means it will have a subtitled simulcast accessible from somewhere in North America, I wonder whether the sub would be worth watching?

And while I don't care intently one way or the other, such a sub would actually have the original VA cast.

Yeah, the original is the best for this, its basically an all-star cast of Seiyuu. Yui Horie, Rie Kugimiya, Ami Koshimizu, Romi Paku, Kappei Yamaguchi, Daisuke Namikawa. But I can understand people who are used to the game who want to hear the dub voices.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, the original is the best for this, its basically an all-star cast of Seiyuu. Yui Horie, Rie Kugimiya, Ami Koshimizu, Romi Paku, Kappei Yamaguchi, Daisuke Namikawa. But I can understand people who are used to the game who want to hear the original voices.

The moment you have Rie Kugimiya and Romi Paku in here, "all star cast" loses all meaning.

Sort of like when you have a cast of Leo DiCaprio, Robert DeNiro, John C. Reily, then throw in Taylor Lautner and Olivia Munn. Suddenly, the rest of the dignified cast loses a wee bit of integrity.
sukisho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
90% of the time they don't even bother dubbing the series they release so I'm going with that for now.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
That was fast... Sentai must've been allocating their skill points to their Dexterity ability... ;3
Razzuel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I'm sorry I didn't know you can see the future and disregard everything else I wrote about the possibility of said dub cast returning being better then 0%. I would say it's probably closer to 50/50. If you don't have solid proof then don't spout off at the mouth as if everything you speak is fact because until Sentai says something it isn't. I'm not saying I'm right and I'm not saying your wrong. I'm simply saying that assuming off that bat that they will recast when they have been known in the past to care about cast consistency is pretty ignorant.

Just ignore them. You make a sound argument, and I agree with you; there seems to be a possibility that they could get the the voice actors from the game.

Anyway, I think this is great news: I want to watch this, but I haven't finished the game yet, and now I can wait for the Blu-ray release. This gives me more time to finish the game, and it decreases the amount of shows I planned on watching during the Fall season.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
Just ignore them. You make a sound argument, and I agree with you; there seems to be a possibility that they could get the the voice actors from the game.

Thats fine if you can find one random example of it happening... I could find 50 that prove that it normally doesn't happen, too. Getting out of region voice actors to come work on stuff is very rare in the industry. I don't think anyone is saying that its impossible, just that saying its 50/50 is obviously being way too optimistic about it.

There is a possibility, but that possibility might be 5-10%, which isn't really high enough to get your hopes up on. Its best to just accept they probably won't come back and then be surprised if they do, then hold out hope for something thats not realistic and then just be disappointed.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Sentai > Different dub cast > Not worth giving a shit.

Sure it is, if you don't give a shit about dubs~

Cool move, Sentai. Hope this comes out on Crunchyroll or the likes first.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I could care less of this news since there is no dub and even less if it gets a simulcast since I can just watch that instead of buying something that I could've seen for free. But other than that they did get a good license and that probably means alot for Persona fans so congrats for the people who are happy =o.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow. People bitch when something doesn't get dubbed and when something DOES get a dub, and a Blu-ray, you people STILL bitch about it? Again, wow. Be happy that this series is even getting an English release.

Some fans....I swear.... -_-

I, on the other hand, am happy that this series got picked up - dub or no dub.

Last edited by Rukiia on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Different voice cast? PFFT. I imported P4 so the cast looks the same to me.
Quote:
The moment you have Rie Kugimiya and Romi Paku in here, "all star cast" loses all meaning.

More bullshit from the bullshit artist. Nice.

Rukiia wrote:
Wow. People bitch when something doesn't get dubbed and when something DOES get a confirmed dub, and a Blu-ray, you people STILL bitch about it? Again, wow.

Welcome to the reality known as ANN where no one can see past theirown biases.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I still say the show shoulda been called "Persona TV", both because it's not the fourth Persona anime (which could confuse the few people not familiar with the games), plus lends itself to a nice play on words with the way things work in the show/game.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Welcome to the reality known as ANN where no one can see past theirown biases.

Makes me pretty sad....I don't know much about this series yet I've seen a ton of people talk about it and it has piqued my interest. I figured this thread would be full of very happy people. Instead, I see a bunch of negativity. Just...completely boggles my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Wow. People bitch when something doesn't get dubbed and when something DOES get a dub, and a Blu-ray, you people STILL bitch about it? Again, wow. Be happy that this series is even getting an English release.

Some fans....I swear.... -_-

I, on the other hand, am happy that this series got picked up - dub or no dub.

I think its because everyone pretty much expected Funimation to pick it up, which would all but guarantee the original dub cast. When you play a game for like 100 hours, you get used to the voices and hearing new voices really throws you off, so its not odd for people to want the voices they know for the characters.

And don't think its only ANN like this. I've seen this news posted on 4 different sites, and the reaction is the same. Its a pretty big disappointment all around for fans of the original game.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I think its because everyone pretty much expected Funimation to pick it up, which would all but guarantee the original dub cast. When you play a game for like 100 hours, you get used to the voices and hearing new voices really throws you off, so its not odd for people to want the voices they know for the characters.

And don't think its only ANN like this. I've seen this news posted on 4 different sites, and the reaction is the same. Its a pretty big disappoint all around for fans of the original game.

But why are you ASSUMING that its not getting the original dub cast?

Does the article say that it is getting a new dub cast? No.
Does the article say that it is getting a dub? No.

This is all the article has to say about the future release:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks announced on Tuesday it has licensed the Persona 4 The Animation television anime series.

Sentai Filmworks will digitally distribute the series "soon through many outlets," and will release the show on both DVD and Blu-ray in 2012.

So BEFORE assuming the worst, why not wait and see how it all pans out? Cause otherwise you are going to look like a major tool if you are proved to be wrong. They only just acquired the rights today so chill out.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

But why are you ASSUMING that its not getting the original dub cast?

Does the article say that it is getting a new dub cast? No.
Does the article say that it is getting a dub? No.

Sentai is Texas based, and bringing over voice actors from different regions is a very rare thing to do. Like I said earlier, its not impossible, but the chance is so low that you might as well not even hope for it. With Funimation, the actors are in their same region so they could have done it no problem.

And it did say it was getting a dub if you know how Sentai works.

DVD = Sub only
DVD + BD = Dub
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7