• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Should anime include other countries culture?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I've been a big fan of anime for years now, and there is one thing that has been nagging me lately: even though anime and mangas are essantianlly Japanese, I wonder if there could be some that are based in other countries. I know that some have been sort of "nuetralized" anime genre as to make them not seem like any one culture, but if there could be just a meeting of the minds of different countries. I know all about the manwha craze, as i own a manwha series, but i want to make one that incorporates my culture, the Mexican culture, just cause anime and manga are just as popular there, even more so, as it is in the U.S. So let me know what ya'll think.Just think about, a anime with refernce to the mexican people and culture!!! Very Happy "sigh" Even though it could just be a dream, i want to know what ya'll think about this.

Last edited by Mexicanime86 on Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Read or Die takes place in england, tokyo godfathers takes place in france... i think... mabye... no... probably not...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JackBassV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
There are lots of anime based in other countries:

Noir is based in France, as is Sakura Wars - Ecole De Paris.

Mysterious Cities of Gold - South America (Ande's to be precise).

Gunsmith Cats - Chicago, USA.

This is just 5 minutes of thinking, with no research.

You can add Planetes, Gundam, Macross and many other Sci-Fi series to the list, as they're based on other planets.

Even Pokemon isn't based in Japan.

Hope that answers you question.

JBV^_^
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Tons of titles feature Chinese culture. Wink

msi435 wrote:
tokyo godfathers takes place in france...

Are you sure you watched the correct title? As its name implied, Tokyo Godfathers happens in Tokyo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
There are lots of anime based in other countries:

Noir is based in France, as is Sakura Wars - Ecole De Paris.

Mysterious Cities of Gold - South America (Ande's to be precise).

Gunsmith Cats - Chicago, USA.

This is just 5 minutes of thinking, with no research.

You can add Planetes, Gundam, Macross and many other Sci-Fi series to the list, as they're based on other planets.

Hope that answers you question.

JBV^_^

i was thinking Noir as well. There are tons of animes that take places in different places.

I don't know about this so somebody tell me if this is correct... was Pedro from Excel Saga hispanic, because if you watch the dub he kinda sounds like it.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Let's see, Chrono Crusade is based in 1920s America, and Kaleido Star is set in California (either San Francisco or Los Angeles, I'm not sure which city). So if you looking for an anime that incorporates another country's culture, Chrono is a good example.

An anime set in Mexico would be pretty interesting. I know I would take a look at it.Idea
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:03 pm Reply with quote
G Gundam goes all over the place. North America, France, Russia, China, Mexico (only one episode though, and not much cultural signifcance), Rome (not sure about this one), and of course Japan.

R.O.D. the TV switches between Japan, Hong Kong, and England.

And of course Hellsing is all British, with that one segment in Hong Kong where they try to bust someone.

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture goes from Japan, to Germany, to Iraq, to China, to somewhere in the Mediterranean.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I know that i sound like a novice anime fan, but its only because i haven't had a lot of time to really find out about other animes, so dont make me sound dumb. also, just think about a japanese voice actor speaking jp, then al off a sudden he/she just starts spouting in spanish(mxcn spanish). Wont that just be great? Cool

Last edited by Mexicanime86 on Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Mexicanime86 wrote:
I know that i sound like a novice anime fan, but its only because i haven't had a lot of time to really find out about other animes, so don't make me sound dumb. also, just think about a japanese voice actor speaking jp, then al off a sudden he/she just starts spouting in spanish(mxcn spanish). Wont that just be great? Cool

I don't really remember, but I think some of the Japanese voice actors in Excel Saga might've said some stuff in Spanish. Pedro was his name, he was an immigrant worker living in Japan with his son and "sexy wife." I think they put him in there just to make the show funny since that's all the show is. I'm not exactly sure where he's from though, it's been a while since I've seen the show.

I do, however, know that every now and then in other anime that have international ties, some of the seiyuu speak Engrish, which is pretty comical at times (i.e. Azumanga Daioh and of course Excel Saga Laughing).
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Mexicanime86 wrote:
I know that i sound like a novice anime fan, but its only because i haven't had a lot of time to really find out about other animes, so don't make me sound dumb. also, just think about a japanese voice actor speaking jp, then al off a sudden he/she just starts spouting in spanish(mxcn spanish). Wont that just be great? 8-)

No, it sounds awful. For some awful reason, when Japanese studios need voices for english parts, instead of actually getting someone who speaks english, they hand a confusing jumble of katakana to a Japanese person and have them say the lines. It sounds terrible. They could hire a random English speaker off the streets and pay him 2000 yen, and s/he'd still sound better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Mexicanime86 wrote:
I know that i sound like a novice anime fan, but its only because i haven't had a lot of time to really find out about other animes, so don't make me sound dumb.

We're not making you sound dumb; we're just giving you good titles for you to check out when you get a chance. Wink
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water takes place in France, Africa, and Atlantis. Please tell me I'm not the only one who loves this show.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention the Digimon World Tour in the second season and half the movie took place in America.

And...Beyblade. They're out of Japan for much of the series. You know, the beyblade tournaments.
msi435

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Tons of titles feature Chinese culture. Wink

msi435 wrote:
tokyo godfathers takes place in france...

Are you sure you watched the correct title? As its name implied, Tokyo Godfathers happens in Tokyo.

haha a joke ya know!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:

Pokemon is most certainly placed in Japan, that's why they use "Kanto" to descirbe where they live. If you look at the map for the game you can recognize it instantly for the Kanto region. The only thing is that the "Japan" of the show is not to be confused with the actual country, much like the "Miami" of Miami Guns is not to be confused with the actual city in Florida.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4