• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

In ADV's defense (and i can't believe i'm doing this because their sets were awful), had they made a new dub for it at that time then we wouldn't have it completely released here because of Toei pulling the anime licenses from everyone. Heck, the R set was released not long before it happened so we were lucky that it even got released here at all and that ADV fixed the music glitch that was present on one of the episodes.

As long as we're defending ADV's sets, in their defense the sets were awful because the masters they were given were awful. Those sets are the one time that I'd say a professional set just looked like a glorified fansub.

While it's true that the masters they had were awful, there's no excuse for them switching the prologues to after each OP, blurring out part of R's 2nd OP, and for not including the missing OPs & ED as extras like Pioneer/Geneon did with S & SuperS's missing OPs.

Quote:
Wouldn't mind getting a GOOD replacement set, much like how I bought the rereleases of Utena despite owning the original CPM sets.

I wouldn't mind getting it myself with the R2-remastered video & audio & with everything properly in place or with anything missing as extras.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

I wouldn't mind getting it myself with the R2-remastered video & audio & with everything properly in place or with anything missing as extras.

One BIG "extra" for me missing, was episode 67... I know I heard rumors that even Takeuchi didn't like it, but to me a missing episode is a BIG DEAL! I have a fansub of it currently and would like the replace it... I believe it's from the remastered DVDs, so if that's the case, Japan left it in :/

I would buy again, especially for that episode!!
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

One BIG "extra" for me missing, was episode 67... I know I heard rumors that even Takeuchi didn't like it, but to me a missing episode is a BIG DEAL! I have a fansub of it currently and would like the replace it... I believe it's from the remastered DVDs, so if that's the case, Japan left it in :/

I would buy again, especially for that episode!!

Ah yes, the dinosaur episode. I actually forgot about that but then again that wasn't really ADV's fault either so it doesn't really count even if it was a pretty big deal. As for the rumor of Takeuchi not liking it, i always thought it was made up by someone who knew about the Mobile Suit Gundam situation where episode 15 was missing from Bandai's original releases (and also on the new set) so i guess we would have to wait for an R re-release to see if that's true since i don't think it was ever confirmed.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Ah yes, the dinosaur episode. I actually forgot about that but then again that wasn't really ADV's fault either so it doesn't really count even if it was a pretty big deal. As for the rumor of Takeuchi not liking it, i always thought it was made up by someone who knew about the Mobile Suit Gundam situation where episode 15 was missing from Bandai's original releases (and also on the new set) so i guess we would have to wait for an R re-release to see if that's true since i don't think it was ever confirmed.

Yeah I never heard a proper confirmation on it, thus why I just thought it was some random rumor. What's the reason behind the Gundam episode taken out though? I haven't heard of that one.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Yeah I never heard a proper confirmation on it, thus why I just thought it was some random rumor. What's the reason behind the Gundam episode taken out though? I haven't heard of that one.

The reason that Episode 15 was left out? We neer got any credible reason, outside of Tomino saying that "he can't talk about it until certain staff is dead". But I've always thought it was because of the really bad character designs for that episode. But we'll never really know I suppose. It could be the same for the missing SM ep, shame at bad quality?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
It could be the same for the missing SM ep, shame at bad quality?

The SM ep was more just a really strange filler, where the senshi visit the island and need to save a Plesiosaur baby and its mother. VERY filler... However, when the first season boxset came out, there were other fillers involving ghosts and a vampire that were cut from the dub, yet, released on the uncut boxset. Why ghosts and stuff and not dinosaurs? No idea, which is why the rumors are still around...
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
All funimation needs to do is this:
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

All Funimation needs to do is photoshop a hideously unprofessional fake cover and forget how to spell "Remastered"?

edit: maybe "remasered" means something i don't know
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

All Funimation needs to do is photoshop a hideously unprofessional fake cover and forget how to spell "Remastered"?

Methinks Zac missed the point.
The point: spoiler[All funi has to do is a total craptastic shipshod "remaster" slap "remastered" (or well, something close) on the cover, and it'll sell like hotcakes. Not unlike a certain other well loved Toei title.]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Zac wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

The point: spoiler[All funi has to do is a total craptastic shipshod "remaster" slap "remastered" (or well, something close) on the cover, and it'll sell like hotcakes. Not unlike a certain other well loved Toei title.]

Intentionally misspelled "Digitally" too. Laughing
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
Cordelia LeFay wrote:
On the con side, the too-literal translation gives me great pause. It really irks me. I might wait and see how the others turn out before I continue buying the series again.

I've always preferred more literal translations, so that's actually a plus for me in the re-release.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Zac wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

You got it! spoiler[It would work for any company that gets the license as long as there's no BS like that other Toei title got with the season sets & new Blu-ray sets.]

As for cover art, they'll be the same as the Italian & Latin American (Mexico & Brazil) releases since that's all that Toei's giving out to everyone who has the license which for those unaware, is the same artwork that you see in the Great Eastern & Hot Topic merchandise (minus Mercury with green hair).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Zac wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Oh, sorry. I'm not a giant douchebag about Dragonball so the "joke" missed me.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Zac wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Oh, sorry. I'm not a giant douchebag about Dragonball so the "joke" missed me.
Well, we're only human (Yes, even you, apparently).
sailorsean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just finished reading the first volumes of both the Sailor V and Sailor Moon manga. I'll say that I enjoyed the translation. I don't get what the big fuss was about making it into PERFECT English. I see 2 stars on Amazon just because they're complaining about how we're not getting the same experience as the Japanese. I find it hilarious, if you want the same experience, just read it in Japanese. I enjoyed this first volume, and I'm looking forward to Volume 2 of both Sailor V and Sailor Moon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5