• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Could 4Kids Merge with Geneon or Funi?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
With everyone merging you can never over look any possibility of something of this calibur. But when I think about it 4Kids and Geneon can create a huge Marketing company no one could stop them. If they Licences any show it'll directly go to cut and uncut releases right away and we'll probably see a change in the way it's boardcasted and Dubbed on TV too(on SAT mornings). I mean 4Kids has things Geneon wants Marketing power and the power to create shows and 4Kids wants something Geneon has Mature stans deal and fanbase support. It could happen, times are changing and everyone is doing something to over power one another, But even so I would think 4kids would choose Funimation to Merge with than Geneon. But what do you think can it happen, would it happen and why, why it wont?

4Kids Entertainment+Geneon=4Neon Entertainment.
4Kids Entertainment+Funimation= 4Fun Entertainment.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you mean by Geneon wanting "the power to create shows" from 4kids, considering that Geneon (as a whole) already does that pretty well. Moreover, Geneon doesn't really need 4Kids.

animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=590

And well, since FUNi was recently acquired by Navarre, you can count anything happening there out, unless Navarre decided to try and swallow up 4Kids as well.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It won't happen. The markets Geneon and 4Kids primarily sell to are completely different (4Kids are a child/family audience, Geneon is a older fan type of market), and FUNimation was sold to the Navarre company, which gives you an indication that they want to make desicions on their own, not in some partnership with Al Khan.

4Kids are already a part of Fox, who would provide them more funding than any other Anime company could. They'd have no incentive.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I always thought 4kids was a part of FUNimation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
4Kids are already a part of Fox, who would provide them more funding than any other Anime company could. They'd have no incentive.

I don't think that's the case, I think 4Kids is an independent company and Fox just buys that three hours of programming a week from them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
For some reason I always thought 4kids was a part of FUNimation.

I can see that happening; they both tend to be the targets of a lot of unnecessary fan hatred (controversial statement, I know, but a lot of the flak 4Kids gets really is a bit too much). Not to mention they have been working together lately on a few thankless favours specifically for these whining ingrates. At a glance, dual underappreciated "black sheep" working most prominently with shows for similar target audiences could very likely get mixed up (especially when they both have names that give them a "kiddy feel"...if I were Gen Fukunaga, I'd be investing in a name change about now, to be honest).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
if I were Gen Fukunaga, I'd be investing in a name change about now, to be honest).

Heh.. that may not be Gen's decision anymore..
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Heh.. that may not be Gen's decision anymore..

Well, whoever's in power now, I sustain my argument that a name like "FUNimation" seems a bit off on some of their less family-made titles like Blue Gender & Kiddy Grade. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I could see a buy out of 4Kids one day, but buy only one company, and that would be ADV. I looked at my stock reports of ADV and Geneon then compared them to all the other Anime Compines. ADV makes the most money of all the Anime Companies, followed by Geneon and then 4kids.
Laruto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I could see a buy out of 4Kids one day, but buy only one company, and that would be ADV. I looked at my stock reports of ADV and Geneon then compared them to all the other Anime Compines. ADV makes the most money of all the Anime Companies, followed by Geneon and then 4kids.

Dude your talking Giberish right there 4Kids makes more money than you can shake a stick at, 4kids has been around longer than ADV, and yes they have, they just went under a different name before gaining that name 4Kids within the late 90's. I'm thinking If anything 4Kids would probably buy funimation If they knew that someone esle was gunning for it.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
FUNI was already bought out by another company.

I WAS STATING MY STOCK REPORTS AND COMPAREING THEM FOR THE YEAR 2004! 4Kids Lost money last year. Most of it in the forthQ.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
FUNI was already bought out by another company.

I WAS STATING MY STOCK REPORTS AND COMPAREING THEM FOR THE YEAR 2004! 4Kids Lost money last year. Most of it in the forthQ.

Owned.

On topic, if what your saying is true, do you think it would be economiclly feasable for ADV to even try that sorta thing in the future?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1