• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, TV Tokyo Sue YouTube Users for Unauthorized Anime Uploading

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder what the life of someone who's that dedicated to uploading Naruto to Youtube illegally is like.

Gotta assume really, really depressing.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
Sorraffy wrote:
Crunchyroll .... Sue YouTube Users for Unauthorized Anime Uploading

think I just found the definition of "ironic"

Doesn't Chrunchyroll upload episodes legally on their website? Confused
Perhaps i have missed something...

Do a little reading about how CR got started.
cserkeszke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Suing Hungarian anime uploaders... now this gave me a good laugh. This would only be funnier if they wanted to sue Russian or Chinese users, but this is just as good. Suing people for uploading videos to a steaming site in Hungary, where do they live? Come on, we have legally registered fansubbers who pay tax after the donations they recive. Different copyright laws, how do they work?

By the way TV Tokyo and Crunchyroll, Hungary is not a state in the US, if you were wondering.

And by the way again, if you'd follow any kind of logic just once, you'd have contracted Animax instead, since they are the ones who have the rights for these three shows. Oh, but you knew they weren't dumb enough to go around suing people because they know it's not how it works here? Oh, silly me...
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I have to wonder what the life of someone who's that dedicated to uploading Naruto to Youtube illegally is like.

No! They're fighting back against "The Man". Striking a blow for freedom and individual rights of anime fans everywhere!

Eh... Never-mind... It does sound pretty lame! LOL!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Irony, thy name is Crunchyroll.

What about Nichijou? The show that's comprised entirely of Youtube footage?

Last edited by prime_pm on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

People still watch Naruto?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Zac wrote:

People still watch Naruto?

You'd think they'd learn by now.

Heh. Double meaning.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

See my previous comment about "high-profile titles." (And Nichijou definitely doesn't qualify for that label.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
cserkeszke wrote:
Suing Hungarian anime uploaders... now this gave me a good laugh. This would only be funnier if they wanted to sue Russian or Chinese users, but this is just as good. Suing people for uploading videos to a steaming site in Hungary, where do they live? Come on, we have legally registered fansubbers who pay tax after the donations they recive. Different copyright laws, how do they work?

By the way TV Tokyo and Crunchyroll, Hungary is not a state in the US, if you were wondering.

And by the way again, if you'd follow any kind of logic just once, you'd have contracted Animax instead, since they are the ones who have the rights for these three shows. Oh, but you knew they weren't dumb enough to go around suing people because they know it's not how it works here? Oh, silly me...

from the article:
Quote:
Crunchyroll holds online streaming rights for the mentioned episodes, including worldwide exclusive streaming rights for the first week after the original Japanese broadcast.

Animax does not hold the streaming rights for the shows, they are merely one of the broadcasters of them. TV Tokyo is another broadcaster. The rights are granted by the rights holders, most likely the "Production Committee" associated with each show. Crunchyroll is has payed for exclusive rights to the first week after broadcast "worldwide". Last I knew, Hungary is in the world, is it not?

It seems that a lot of people confuse Crunchyroll with their former, pirate board self. They are a legit license holder now and have all of the rights and privileges that purchasing those licenses provides, including the right to try to shut down people who violate their legal rights.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Easy picture to paint, but it's likely (as most of the dedicated fandom of the shonen genre is by its very nature [though obviously not entirely; look at me!]) just a bunch of punk kids having a casual good time. Upload it, friends can watch it, get some comments, go back to school the next morning.

What I'm taking away from this news is that it's all about the DMCA and how no-one really understands it, or at least they don't fully understand the accountability they have. In these cases, it sounds like the rights holders issued a DMCA take-down to YouTube, who by law complied and immediately removed the videos. The users, who I'd argue have been conditioned by way of their favorite fan parodies and other legit fair use works out there, clicked that shiny "appeal" button/link available to them, and -- voilà -- the videos that were taken down are magically back online!

At that point, yeah -- you've said to YouTube, "No, I actually DO have the rights to this video!", and the legitimate rights holders can legally challenge you over that right.

Whether it's "right" or "wrong" for rights holders to sue their fans over this type of stuff is the age-old question, but they're well within their legal boundaries to sue folks who misrepresent their legal authority over the creative works. They didn't just upload it, they uploaded it and by appealing legally stated they "own" it.

As the whole medium gets pushed more and more globally online, it makes total sense that -- particularly when ad revenue based on impressions/views is involved -- the rights holders will use whatever means they can to guarantee those eyes are on the sites they want them to be on.

zensunni wrote:
It seems that a lot of people confuse Crunchyroll with their former, pirate board self. They are a legit license holder now and have all of the rights and privileges that purchasing those licenses provides, including the right to try to shut down people who violate their legal rights.

I won't deny their current status, but I'm *totally* on board with the sarcastic snickering re: irony over how Crunchyroll got started...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Ah piracy...the eternal struggle. When will this kind of stuff end? Virtually everything is streamed as quickly as possible, and people are still not satisfied? Ugh.

Hello, I'm region blocked. Kindly shut the hell up, OK?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

See my previous comment about "high-profile titles." (And Nichijou definitely doesn't qualify for that label.)

...are you wearing cleats? Cause you might want to watch where you step.

I tease. Laughing I've just seen several clips from that show all throughout Youtube and wondered if the same would apply. Of course, it's only 26 episodes, so it probably doesn't qualify. Not to mention, like my comment said, the nature of the show.

Shame it's ending this Saturday though. I kinda wish they'd keep going with Nichijou. It's pretty much overtaken Azumanga Daioh as my favorite anime. Oh well. C'est la vie ordinaire
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll and TV Tokyo are seeking reparation for "great and irreparable injury that cannot fully be compensated or measured in money"

Please, someone pass a handkerchief to those poor... corporations.

That's almost a joke, if it isn't so hypocritical.

Zac wrote:

It's not as depressing as being a slave...

Last edited by BassKuroi on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that the uploaders were bold enough to file a counterclaim, at least those in the US. If they just left the takedown as is, I bet this wouldn't have occurred to them.

Quote:
On August 18, the Northern District Court of California granted a motion to allow the involved sides to pursue settlement outside of court if they so choose. The first date for the Crunchyroll and TV Tokyo representatives to meet with the defendants and a judge is set for November 18.

this seems the most likely outcome

FaytLein wrote:
Virtually everything is streamed as quickly as possible, and people are still not satisfied? Ugh.

Virtually everything? Hardly. Still many that aren't simulcasted. And those that are, are likely region blocked too (for folks outside the US).. but that's neither here nor there regarding this case

Last edited by configspace on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
százlábú

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
Doesn't Chrunchyroll upload episodes legally on their website? Confused
Perhaps i have missed something...

they were dirty too. BTW i don't mind this. My homeland is on the list too and the local folks can watch that bleach/naruto thing on TV or on CR too. YT is pretty lame for it.

Last edited by százlábú on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7