• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime piracy problems in my country!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jubei_ryujoji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
hi.....
a lot of things been bugging me lately... Sad
a lot of vcds in my country are unlicensed....(dvds too!)
even naruto, and all those animes that are selling like hot cakes... i have yet to see any responsible authority person to take care of the piracy thats been going on all along here...
malaysia, well known for piracy is resorting to own dubbed versions and selling them! Confused
does your place do the same? Mad
how can i get the authorities to catch them? Idea
even the mangas sold here are mostly unlicensed, and i do really hope someone could help me! Surprised
i hate seeing people earn money by cheating the folks of malaysia and of foreign visitors.... Shocked
do u have any opinions? if u do, please give one, and it's actually quite important as the developer of the anime or manga is not giving his anime or manga out for free, it's all hard work and they have to at least earn from it! Cool
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
jubei_ryujoji wrote:
hi.....
a lot of things been bugging me lately... Sad
a lot of vcds in my country are unlicensed....(dvds too!)
even naruto, and all those animes that are selling like hot cakes... i have yet to see any responsible authority person to take care of the piracy thats been going on all along here...
malaysia, well known for piracy is resorting to own dubbed versions and selling them! Confused
does your place do the same? Mad
how can i get the authorities to catch them? Idea
even the mangas sold here are mostly unlicensed, and i do really hope someone could help me! Surprised
i hate seeing people earn money by cheating the folks of malaysia and of foreign visitors.... Shocked
do u have any opinions? if u do, please give one, and it's actually quite important as the developer of the anime or manga is not giving his anime or manga out for free, it's all hard work and they have to at least earn from it! Cool

If by this point the Malaysian Govt. haven't done anything about it, or the Japanese licensors issued some kind of legal thread against people who do pirate their works, it's safe to say that you're not going to convince them to change their stance anytime soon. Perhaps if Japanese companies were to actually release better products into Malaysia, and faster, then perhaps you wouldn't have such a problem? I dunno how the lw works there.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The FCC doesn't do much about it in America either, "they have bigger fish to fry" as I heard someone put it once before. Piracy is a problem no matter were you are. It's horridly sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The FCC has nothing to do with it whatsoever. They regulate broadcasts. Copyrights are enforced either by the company that owns it or the representative company like the MPAA, and the actual law enforcement arm is the FBI.

Your best bet is contacting the Malaysian office of the MPAA, RIAA, JASRAC or Interpol.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Edit: it posted me twice.

Last edited by Dagwood on Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, brain fart, your right. Either way they don't do much about it.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
You wouldn't be a country if you didn't have piracy problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jubei_ryujoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
so is piracy common where you stay?
ok, so is piracy a good or a bad thing? Crying or Very sad
don't u get mad at these people who make profit through stealing copyrights? Rolling Eyes
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:01 am Reply with quote
jubei_ryujoji wrote:
don't u get mad at these people who make profit through stealing copyrights? Rolling Eyes

Piracy is bad. The money made can be use for other illegals activites like drug trade or prositution. In the end, it's the bootleg that profit, not the people that create the show.

So yes, for people who buy thier anime legally, it piss them off. But it's nothing we can do about it. Tons of bootleg are sold through ebay every day.

Last edited by darkhunter on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
jubei_ryujoji wrote:

It's pretty common here in Singapore. The government (Board of Film Censors) reviews an anime and as long as it does not have objectionable content, they slap a sticker on it and O.K.s it for sale, regardless if it's bootleg or not. It's the content, not the source, that bothers them.

I've been harping about this for some time already, but the situation will not change. The anime market here is just too small for someone to actually go out and acquire the license to a series and start selling them at ridiculous prices (for example, ODEX sells their licensed stuff at about $60 for a complete series on VCD, a lot more if it's DVD, and they seldom come on the DVD format).

And since my one little voice can't change anything, I just live with it.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
The Reason Bootlegs are sold in the US and nothing is done about it is because they are all legal in their country of Origin (hong Kong, Taiwan ect)

It is my understanding that Malaysia doesn't have strict piracy laws either.

So.....just deal with it.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Reason Bootlegs are sold in the US and nothing is done about it is because they are all legal in their country of Origin (hong Kong, Taiwan ect)

Completely false

They are illegal in Taiwan and HK, as both are members of the Berne Convention. Even if they WERE legal there, they are still illegal here. The reason why nothing is done about it is because 99.9% of the enforcement officers have no idea how to spot them, or they do not have the legal right to enforce the law on them
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure they're legal in taiwan.

making them in this country is illegal but selling them.....no problem at all.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
I'm pretty sure they're legal in taiwan.

I wonder how much do you know about this country. Rolling Eyes

After joining WTO after Jan. 1, 2002, all intellectual properties of other WTO member countries are protected by Taiwanese law automatically under Berne Convention, thus making bootlegs illegal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote
the lack of enforment in the US is more due to lack of $$$ to go after it. Well that and bulk of all the piracy on the US side is online via downloading or buying bootlegs online. Yeah theres the occosinal HK dvds or Son May cds at the local comic book store. We just dont have the massive amount of pirate goods on the streets compared to Asia were its pretty open and blatant. But I think thats only becouse of the huge amount of legimate product compared to China or Malasia.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2