• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
You're Under Arrest Season 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
Has anyone heard anything about the second season of You're Under Arrest being liscensed for distribution in the United States. It's deplorable that AnimEigo would liscense You're Under Arrest (First Season) and be so hateful and spiteful to the fans and not release the first season.

I have bought all of the DVD's that have been released so far Season 1 (13 DVD's), The Movie, Mini-Specials and so far there hasn't been a decision on whether Season 2, the short lived Live Action series nor the special feature that featured the YUA gang in Los Angelos going up against car thieves.

Anyone know anything about this? Even when I sent a question about to Anime News Network, there doesn't seem anyone at home to answer questions about this.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's so much AnimEigo being "hateful" as it is being either that the series didn't sell enough for it to be worth licensing more episodes, or that the Japanese licensor was asking more than AnimEigo could afford.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:14 am Reply with quote
That may be but the fact of the matter is this ... AnimEigo no longer produces new material. There are very few titles that they do produce, the only one being a series that they had started before ADV Films jumped into the market (Urusei Yatsura).

It seems that the company just releases previously release anime to the DVD format now. Matter of fact, it's probably a safe bet that the only title they currently release right now is Urusei Yatsura.
hakootoko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate that Animeigo doesn't release any new titles, but they are not the only company out there. ADV licensed and released some of YUA, so they may get around to licensing and releasing the second TV series.

I wouldn't call Animeigo (or anyone else) hateful for not releasing it. I'm sure Woodhead would release it if he could afford to do so.

hakootoko
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand, they barely break even on Urusei Yatsura, and the simple fact of the matter is that, since the market for anime is relatively many times larger than it was in the early 1990s, the Japanese licensors ask for much more than they used to for the North American rights. Meanwhile, while I'm sure the market for the kind of sub-niche anime AnimEigo sells is also relatively larger than it was a decade ago, their actual market share has not grown like ADV's has grown. AnimEigo actually went into virtual hibernation for a couple of years in the late 1990s, as the market for anime shifted from VHS to DVD, and, when they came out of their Rip Van Winkle-esque slumber, the other surviving domestic licensors, and several ones that weren't a factor before, like Bandai, had grown, and had now much larger financial clout than AnimEigo and could outbid AnimEigo for nearly everything, and I do get the idea that AnimEigo spent most of their remaining cash for new licenses on Macross TV and the first You're Under Arrest TV series, which sold fairly well, but not enough to put enough money in their coffers for more new licenses.

So they likely just don't have the sort of capital needed to license anything new, especially if it's a series they're expected to dub, like You're Under Arrest. They can't just go to the licensing equivalent of 7-11 and give themselves a five-fingered discount. I haven't seen their financial records, so I don't have any definitive proof, but logic would suggest that AnimEigo would license if they could license.

I'm guessing that the future of AnimEigo is that they'll concentrate on putting what's left of Urusei Yatsura on DVD over the next year or two, possibly dubbing the OVAs, and then they'll see how much capital they'll accumulate from that and then they'll decide what to do next, if anything. If I was forced to predict what happens after that, it'll be what I've been predicting for years: Robert Woodhead will sell AnimEigo to one of the big boys, but the AnimEigo brand will survive as kind of a premium sub-label for older, niche shows. Or maybe he'll make another Wizardry game and buy another few years...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1