• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
final fantasy and anime lovers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
it seems that almost all people who like anime also like the final fantasy games, and visa-versa.

theres no real point to this post, but I figured I'd point it out and see if anyone can think of some reason for this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
tvgood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know but I think it might have something to do with the fact that Final Fantasy is allot like anime or it could just be because they both from Japan.

Last edited by tvgood on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, to me it seems that first of all, the majority of "quality" RPGs tend to circle around the Final Fantasy franchise. I like 6 and Tactics, but that's pretty much it (I'm actually more of a Gensou Suikoden fan), but to get to the point, it's probably not just Final Fantasy fans out there that like anime. It's probably just RPG fans in general.

The reason? Beats me. I guess it's because a lot of RPGs and anime have a somewhat adventuristic (if that's even a word) and/or attractive story layouts with likeable characters and lots of "fantasy" elements (no pun intended).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
I must be the exception to the rule. No offense to anyone else here, but I despise Final Fantasy with a passion. Short of Tactics (which turned out to be quite the pleasant surprise because they apprently actually tried something different and made it work), I have to say the entire franchise—or what I've been exposed to, anyway (FF7 and onward)—just strikes me as absolutely horrid. The gameplay's just plain dull (this is supposed to be the "standard" for console RPGs?), the characters are even duller, and the stories are perhaps the dullest and most uninspired parts of all. It's a collectively unimpressive package made worse by excessive hype and the expectation of me as an anime fan to just gobble it up because "hey, animu fans like that generic Japanese RPG crap because the characters are drawed the same way!!" Sorry, but maybe if they brought in someone who was halfway competent at dramatic storytelling and gave the gameplay a swift kick in the ass, I might be able to care. But at this point, I don't. I hear the first six Final Fantasies are "sooooo much better," but after seeing how people hold dreck like Final Fantasy 7 to be "greatness," I can't help but be incredibly skeptical.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but you are among a vanishing minority with your opinions on the Final Fantasy series of games. It is pointless to discuss if they actually are good or not as millions of people the world over seem to love never the less.

As for me I love Final Fantasy and my favourites are FFIV, VI & VIII. Personally I enjoyed the music of the series more back in the 16bit days. With the powerful sound hardware of the never consoles nobody makes music like that anymore which is a shame, because I like that oldskool music so much.

I was a gamer long before I got into anime and I guess the reason why I enjoy both so much is because they are both very good escapist hobbies. I like immersing myself in the exotic worlds of videogames and anime and since I am a visual person I didn’t get the same kick out of reading books. However I loathe PC games with a passion and generally stay away from western made games. So judging from that I guess the reason why I like both anime and Japanese videogames could be because they were both made in Japan.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Sorry but you are among a vanishing minority with your opinions on the Final Fantasy series of games.

The hilarious part is that you actually assumed I didn't know that. So...what, amd I supposed to fall in line with everyone else just because I'm one of the few "dissenters" left?

kamiboy wrote:
It is pointless to discuss if they actually are good or not as millions of people the world over seem to love never the less.

I don't see why it's pointless. It's possible for millions of people people to love something that's fundamentally bad...just look at Dragon Ball Z or Love Hina. Just about everyone loves them, so is it pointless to discuss their merits & flaws? Should we just not question their quality because it's not going along with the majority opinion?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Some people like RPG and some people don't. I've played over 50 RPG and Final fantasy series is one of the best RPG out (suikoden and xenogear was close). Anyways if you don't like RPG, than you'll probably not going to like FF. But if you're a RPG fan, than I don't see why you can hate FF. Unless you're an old school player, than FF3 (6 in japan) was the only one worth playing.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Actually, as shocking as it may be, I like RPGs. Bioware's stuff is absolutely amasing, and Parasite Eve was one of the few things from Square that I actually liked. But Final Fantasy's just done nothing but rub me the wrong way since I first heard of it. Maybe if they did more stuff like Tactics I could warm up to the franchise, but one GameBoy title to the same old crap on the bigger consoles just doesn't work.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
it seems that almost all people who like anime also like the final fantasy games, and visa-versa.

theres no real point to this post, but I figured I'd point it out and see if anyone can think of some reason for this

In contrast, however, lots of people seem to dislike the various incarnations of Final Fantasy anime, such as Legend of the Crystals and Unlimited judging by the user ratings here, anyway. Ironic isn't it?
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
The hilarious part is that you actually assumed I didn't know that. So...what, amd I supposed to fall in line with everyone else just because I'm one of the few "dissenters" left?

I already pretty much assumed that you were aware of the large fanbase of FF and no I never stated that you should love it just because others do. However your post did come off a little (Oh, how should I put it? Let's say) bigot.

Nagisa wrote:
I don't see why it's pointless. It's possible for millions of people people to love something that's fundamentally bad...just look at Dragon Ball Z or Love Hina. Just about everyone loves them, so is it pointless to discuss their merits & flaws? Should we just not question their quality because it's not going along with the majority opinion?

I just wanted to get a head start on killing the inevitable: "No Final Fantasy is great” responses that your response will spawn and the inevitable "No it sucks and so do you" response to their response. However it seems I have already failed. This is not a thread that was made for such a discussion, but for the discussion of why people who love anime and also love Final Fantasy think they do so.

Anywaste, I’ve always found discussions of differing tastes to be pointless as taste is an unsubstantial property. Love Hina and DBZ are not substantially flawed when so many love them. So what, all those fans are somehow wrong and the ones hating the titles are right? My answer is neither is right or wrong, as right or wrong simply does not apply to the world of taste. Also taste is the hardest thing in the world to change since everyone’s tastes are based in the foundation that creates a persons self. So the discussions of differing tastes often turns ugly, especially if people, as the so often do, do not respect each other’s tastes. Therefore I think that, yes it is pointless to discuss their merits & flaws because these properties cannot be measured or proven as such. So many hold FF in such high regards that discussing why it sucks would not be unlike discussing why Miyazaki’s movies suck.

Your post almost sounds like you think that the fans of FF owe you something (perhaps an explanation for why they love it so much) for having forced you to sit through so many crappy games. If you really hate them so much then why play so many of them? Hype?

Personally I know my own tastes so well that I have never bough a game that I didn’t end up loving. And I buy all my games based on reviews and if I remember correctly the FF series has always gotten very good reviews. I like to think that if I one day did buy a game with good reviews that I ended up hating I would not blame the fans or reviewer who made me think it was a good game. I would rather blame myself for not knowing any better. But then again I might be wrong and you might not be mad at the fans, in which case just ignore what I said.

The bottom line is that the critics (Ok so they are not exactly critics but most reviewers from the big gaming sites like IGN and Gamespot have a movie critic like taste in games) love Final Fantasy and so do millions of fans so what are we trying to do here, prove them wrong somehow?
Perhaps if you mentioned some similar RPG’s that you actually thought were good in contrast to FF then maybe we could have a discussion going.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

I already pretty much assumed that you were aware of the large fanbase of FF and no I never stated that you should love it just because others do. However your post did come off a little (Oh, how should I put it? Let's say) bigot.

Nagisa wrote:

I just wanted to get a head start on killing the inevitable: "No Final Fantasy is great” responses that your response will spawn and the inevitable "No it sucks and so do you" response to their response. However it seems I have already failed. This is not a thread that was made for such a discussion, but for the discussion of why people who love anime and also love Final Fantasy think they do so.

Anywaste, I’ve always found discussions of differing tastes to be pointless as taste is an unsubstantial property. Love Hina and DBZ are not substantially flawed when so many love them. So what, all those fans are somehow wrong and the ones hating the titles are right? My answer is neither is right or wrong, as right or wrong simply does not apply to the world of taste. Also taste is the hardest thing in the world to change since everyone’s tastes are based in the foundation that creates a persons self. So the discussions of differing tastes often turns ugly, especially if people, as the so often do, do not respect each other’s tastes. Therefore I think that, yes it is pointless to discuss their merits & flaws because these properties cannot be measured or proven as such. So many hold FF in such high regards that discussing why it sucks would not be unlike discussing why Miyazaki’s movies suck.

Your post almost sounds like you think that the fans of FF owe you something (perhaps an explanation for why they love it so much) for having forced you to sit through so many crappy games. If you really hate them so much then why play so many of them? Hype?

Personally I know my own tastes so well that I have never bough a game that I didn’t end up loving. And I buy all my games based on reviews and if I remember correctly the FF series has always gotten very good reviews. I like to think that if I one day did buy a game with good reviews that I ended up hating I would not blame the fans or reviewer who made me think it was a good game. I would rather blame myself for not knowing any better. But then again I might be wrong and you might not be mad at the fans, in which case just ignore what I said.

The bottom line is that the critics (Ok so they are not exactly critics but most reviewers from the big gaming sites like IGN and Gamespot have a movie critic like taste in games) love Final Fantasy and so do millions of fans so what are we trying to do here, prove them wrong somehow?
Perhaps if you mentioned some similar RPG’s that you actually thought were good in contrast to FF then maybe we could have a discussion going.

That's an awful lot of gob-shittery for something as simple as "you don't like the same things I like!"
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Actually, as shocking as it may be, I like RPGs. Bioware's stuff is absolutely amasing, and Parasite Eve was one of the few things from Square that I actually liked. But Final Fantasy's just done nothing but rub me the wrong way since I first heard of it. Maybe if they did more stuff like Tactics I could warm up to the franchise, but one GameBoy title to the same old crap on the bigger consoles just doesn't work.

Well I was refering to the traditional "turn base" fantasy RPG. Not those action RPG (Diablo), adventure RPG (Legend of Zelda) or MMMORPG or whatever other incarnations that's out now. I guess RPG has expanded from everything like FTP RPG to stragey game RPG that many it appeals to everyone. I still know a lot of people who hate the traditinal type of RPG with random batttles an magic potion.

Parasite eve tried to use the horrible grid turn base but it fail horrible. I don't know how you can like it...probably because of Aya.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
That's an awful lot of gob-shittery for something as simple as "you don't like the same things I like!"

Thank you, I think you just proved most of my points.

And what does gob-shittery mean?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

Thank you, I think you just proved most of my points.

Then why the heck did you have to say most of what you said, even though the point was so simple?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
However your post did come off a little (Oh, how should I put it? Let's say) bigot.

Bigoted...how? I state how I don't like the game and it makes me bigoted? When did I take any personal shots at the fanbase? When did I collectively group them into some sort of stereotyped legion of idiots? I'm not seeing it. Was my wording harsh? Yes. Yes it was. Is being brutally honest the same thing as bigotry or prejudice towards something else entirely? I...no...I'm not seeing it.

kamiboy wrote:
This is not a thread that was made for such a discussion, but for the discussion of why people who love anime and also love Final Fantasy think they do so.

And all I did was weigh in with the fact that such is not always the case. Not every anime fan by default is a Square fan, and I myself happen to be the best example I can think of. I don't care for Final Fantasy, and I listed my reasons why I don't. Simple counterpoint. If it weren't for your assumptions about what I'm saying and attempts to dictate how I say things (i.e. this apparent logic that fan-favourites are not to be questioned or spoken ill of), I likely wouldn't have given this thread a second glance afterward.

kamiboy wrote:
Love Hina and DBZ are not substantially flawed when so many love them. So what, all those fans are somehow wrong and the ones hating the titles are right?

Therefore I think that, yes it is pointless to discuss their merits & flaws because these properties cannot be measured or proven as such. So many hold FF in such high regards that discussing why it sucks would not be unlike discussing why Miyazaki’s movies suck.

If it's pointless to debate merits & flaws, then why do you, as you state further down in the post, rely on reviews to help you make judgment calls? That's all reviews are, after all—weighing a thing's strengths & weaknesses based on the subjective opinion of a person.

To better understand why someone likes or dislikes something...I'd say that's a point right there. This thread, for example, is to achieve an understanding of why anime fans like (or perhaps dislike) games along the vein of Final Fantasy. Not trying to change anyone's viewpoint, but simply trying to understand why. I happen to think Final Fantasy is fundamentally flawed, and I have stated why. If a Love Hina thread comes up, I will state why I think it's flawed, and discuss that with other fans who agree or disagree (in fact, there's a thread around here on Abenobashi where that exact thing is happening). Not trying to force anyone to see things my way, but simply creating discussion.

Whether something's popular or well-loved or not shouldn't dictate whether or not such discussion is allowed. I shouldn't have to pipe down just because I dislike something everyone else loves and someone else shouldn't have to pipe down just because they dislike something I love. If we weren't allowed to debate the merits of certain series, that'd really put a damper on places like this. If someone dislikes Miyazaki, they should say so (tastefully, of course), and facilitate debate with other people. They shouldn't have to keep silent just because "well everyone loves Miyzaki his quality is not up for debate at all." It is, because popularity does not make it true (I happen to love his work, but I still refuse to delude my thinking into a "I'm the majority, therefore I am right" mentality).

kamiboy wrote:
Your post almost sounds like you think that the fans of FF owe you something (perhaps an explanation for why they love it so much) for having forced you to sit through so many crappy games.

That's an awfully bold and audacious assumption. Care to elaborate? Show me where it is I said any such thing?

kamiboy wrote:
If you really hate them so much then why play so many of them? Hype?

There is the chance that something could improve, y'know. It does happen to occur that certain movies, game series, television shows start out rather poorly, but show a certain hint of promise that you continue to check on in the chance that said promise manifests and the end product improves. Is it wrong that I gave Final Fantasy the chance to improve, especially after I actually liked one of them? Would you rather I stopped at 7, played nothing else, and trashed the entire franchise on my experience with one game in the series instead of six?

kamiboy wrote:
I like to think that if I one day did buy a game with good reviews that I ended up hating I would not blame the fans or reviewer who made me think it was a good game. I would rather blame myself for not knowing any better. But then again I might be wrong and you might not be mad at the fans, in which case just ignore what I said.

You might want to acknowledge that you're making a wild assumption before going on this long rant so I can tune it out earlier. As it is, you've already gravely offended me by putting a few too many words in my mouth.

I don't like when I'm beat over the head with hype. That does not necessarily mean I dislike the fans.

kamiboy wrote:
love Final Fantasy and so do millions of fans so what are we trying to do here, prove them wrong somehow?

I'm facilitating discussion, as per the recommended use of a message board. Said discussion doesn't necessarily have to be attempting to force people to think a different way.

And again, I don't think I have to keep silent just because I disagree with "everyone" else.

darkhunter wrote:
I don't know how you can like [Parasite Eve]...probably because of Aya.

And speaking of daring assumptions...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2