• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 8 Greatest Weapons Wielded by Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
I know nobody but me watched this show, but how about the massive gun that Akari Himuro used in Night Wizard?
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
No one's mentioned Mylene Hoffman's "guns" (NSFW) in 009-1?

Ducks

I couldn't watch more than one episode of this show; I'm just including it for completeness.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
While all these weapon-toting women are great, I thought I'd add a few more not previously mentioned to the list.

Rushuna Tendo and her six-shooter from Grenadier. Not remotely the most powerful girl/weapon combo on the list, but the skill and precision Rushuna uses borders on legendary. She can hit the exact same spot with all six bullets to pierce armor, and she has the most awesome reload sequence ever.

Saeko Busujima and her sword from Highschool of the Dead. A girl with homicidal tendencies who can cut loose said tendencies because of a zombie apocalypse? Yes, Saeko and her sword are cool, and she's super-hot to boot.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Then there is the Bloody Card that Yuri sometimes uses in Dirty Pair. It's a self-propelled weapon in the form of a credit card with razor edges, that she can somehow launch and retrieve without cutting her hand to shreds. They also use a lot of other weapons, but nothing quite so notable. ( I'm leaving out other people's doomsday weapons that they sometimes set off by accident, because it's totally not their fault. )

Last edited by DavidShallcross on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hello again,Gia. I've got another idea for a list if you want to hear it. In recent years,there have been a number of anime-style shows that have shown up on American television. Which do you think are the best?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Dolza wrote:
I know nobody but me watched this show, but how about the massive gun that Akari Himuro used in Night Wizard?

The "Gunner's Broom" IIRC. Sad that that has never been licensed, even if only for streaming on Crunchyroll like Demonblade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Are you certain that the projectiles are metal? Rubber/neoprene seems to be a much more likely material, as most metals are much denser and more rigid than rubber, which would make it difficult to design a round that would reliably both split open and be non-lethal.

Also, the inclusive technical term is "baton round".

Keep in mind we are talking about anime, where real world physics, much less practicality, need not apply.

As to what they look like, here is what we are talking about (from just before 13 minutes into episode 8):

The large "X" shaped object that is probably close to a meter across is a projectile from Millie's gun.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Karura's "sword" from Utawarerumono is pretty darn cool. She specifically asked for a weapon that would never dull, never rust and never snap. What she got was basically got a giant solid piece of cast-iron in the shape of a pointed club.

It is worth noting that spoiler[her weapon slows her down and actually limits her power in battle, since it is so heavy she can "only" wipe out a dozen or so guys with a single swing. I think she prefers it that way, since without the weapon her natural speed and deadly claws would make her almost unstoppable, and where's the fun in that?]
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Karura's "sword" from Utawarerumono is pretty darn cool. She specifically asked for a weapon that would never dull, never rust and never snap. What she got was basically got a giant solid piece of cast-iron in the shape of a pointed club.

It is worth noting that spoiler[her weapon slows her down and actually limits her power in battle, since it is so heavy she can "only" wipe out a dozen or so guys with a single swing. I think she prefers it that way, since without the weapon her natural speed and deadly claws would make her almost unstoppable, and where's the fun in that?]

Given her personality, it could also be said that her primary weapon was a jug of booze... Wink

I think one of the most subtle weapons known to Anime was wielded in Kimagure Orange Road: one of the primary characters was known (infamously) in hoodlum circles as Madoka "the Pick". Although she usually let her fists and feet do the talking, she also employed guitar picks like miniature shrunken.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
How about Tokiko's "Valkyrie Skirt" from Buso Renkin? As far as I've seen, it's pretty unique in design: 4 scythe like blades at the end of arms originating from metal bands around her thighs. They seem to act responding to thought, and she can also use them to support her own weight, as though they were legs. I forget if she ever used them to climb up a wall or building, but it's possible.
animeandshakespeare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
How about a little old school? Emeraldas's gravity saber? Add the blaster pistol Tochiro tricked out for her and she's one babe who's loaded for bear.

Then there's Jun the Swan and her BA yo-yo. I must have cracked myself in the head half a dozen times trying to imitate her.

And on the lighter side: Angol Mois and her Lucifer Spear. Armageddon! 1/1,000,000!
elmenDorf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Just to allow Yomiko "the Paper" Readman of Read or Die to slug it out with Mikoto "the Railgun" Misaka of the Certain Magical Index/ Certain Scientific Railgun franchise over who is scarier with nothing more than chump change, if nothing else... Wink

Ooh, good choice on this one.
The first thing that popped into mind was Dokuro's Excalibolg. Due to it's sheer cutesy factor of brutalizing someone. lol.

Tho I must add the Three Priestesses of Muldoon from El Hazard in this list. Their weapons are all elementals.

Miz Mishtal : Water based.
Afura Mann : Wind based.
Shayla-Shayla : Fire based.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5