• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wicked city

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
How is it? looks like a good story line but.....
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
My memory of it is so sketchy I'm a little afraid to describe it, in fear I'll discredit it somehow. But here goes: It does get a little cliched, but has a nice though quite mature storyline. spoiler[The male human detective pairs up with the female demonworld detective (who looks completely human. Guess what happens) to solve/protect a dignitary who's a horny old man. It's not really hentai-ish, but if you're turned off by the occasional tentacle scene you might be offended.] All in all it was okay, I'd recommend it if you like Doomed Megalopolis.

Sorry I couldn't give more content.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loathe it. I thought the story had potential, but it was ruined (for me, at least) by the barrage of sex and trying-so-hard-to-be-epic-it-comes-off-as-cheesy dialogue. I know a lot of people like this movie, though, so you should make sure to get plenty of opinions before you make a decision. I don't know... Kawajiri's works are hit-or-miss for me. This one's definitely a miss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I don't know... Kawajiri's works are hit-or-miss for me. This one's definitely a miss.

Everything he made after Ninja Scroll is gold! Gold I tells I ya! (Dances around hitting his soles like an old fashioned prospector who just hit the mother load)

Seriously though, Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust are just about as good as they come as far as I am concerned. But then again I am a guy who loves his fluid animation, flawless action and over the top gory violence, not to mention the occasional Hard to the Core sex scene. But it does seem like Kawajiri has strayed away from that last part since Ninja Scroll but I’ll have to wait for Ninja Scroll 2 to be sure.

As for how Wicked City is?
We'll actually I saw the other day and I have to say that it isn't his best work but worth a watch. By the way I believe Wicked city, Uratsukidoji and Ninja Scroll were my introduction to anime back in the day.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
. . . By the way I believe Wicked city, Uratsukidoji and Ninja Scroll were my introduction to anime back in the day.

The Overfiend was your intro to anime? At what age Shocked? Mine was Voltron, but I was like 6-7 at the time.

About Wicked City: Anyone notice any spoiler[double entandras]?
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
kamiboy wrote:
. . . By the way I believe Wicked city, Uratsukidoji and Ninja Scroll were my introduction to anime back in the day.

The Overfiend was your intro to anime? At what age Shocked? Mine was Voltron, but I was like 6-7 at the time.

About Wicked City: Anyone notice any spoiler[double entandras]?

Dunno, must have been somewhere between 15-17 at the time and I loved all three. But then again I have always found ultra violence to be funny and overly sexual content never bothered me, so I might as well as have been 10-13. I would have loved them just the same.
Luck Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
All in all it was okay, I'd recommend it if you like Doomed Megalopolis.

Doomed Megalopolis is superior in every way. True, if you liked Doomed Megalopolis, you would enjoy Wicked City. The story line is good, and the characters are likeable. I did find the voice over in the beginning a little cheesey. All in all, a good demon/human movie. Definitely try to borrow or rent it before buying.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:22 am Reply with quote
Hentai-esque situations aside, i thought Wicked city was a good Movie. No doubt that WC borrowed elements from James Bond and John Carpenters the Thing with a chessy Romero and Juliet
twist spoiler[(Taki and Maki , despite being from different races, fall in love and thus bearing a child Rolling Eyes ) ]

The english dubbed sucked beyond belief (no surprise) and Guiseppe's voice was nowhere as humorous as the Japanese counterpart. Luckily my DVD has the options of both languages like most Anime.
theLostProphet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Not bad at all for 1989. It's not much more than a step above a tv movie though. I liked that Taki and Maki lack the huge eyes most anime characters posess. It makes the movie seem more adult.

And soultaker is absolutely correct about that dub -- it's lousy. I prefer watching my anime instead of reading it, but listening to poor voice acting ruins the experience too.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
It's dark, grusome, and really entertaining to watch. That is if you're into the darker almost hentai side of anime.

I wouldn't necessarily say it had a good storyline, because there are so many "demon" OVA's that follow similar cliches.
But the way everything was drawn and the animation as well makes this title at least worth viewing once.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
How is it? looks like a good story line but.....

Don't bother. The storyline itself is abysmal. I was GLAD that I accidentally lost that DVD (really, I did accidentally lose it. I don't intentionally lose stuff like that that I don't like, I sell it), though it would've been better if I'd pawned it off. Still, it was a stain on my otherwise quality anime dvd collection.

Story? There isn't much story, really. There's lots of boobs and arse and meaningless sex (kept just enough out of the frame to NOT classify this as hentai, but some of the acts are those you'd probably expect to see in that filthy sub-genre) and blood and violence (the dvd's only redeeming value).

Plot? To protect this old man who makes the perverted old man in Ranma 1/2 (forgot his name) look like a saint. Oh, did I mention that the girl in this movie gets screwed alot? No? Oh, well, she does.

Honestly, don't waste your money. If you want blood, violence, and some boobs and arse, along with a good story and plot, then go buy Kite (TSRI has the director's cut version, I think, with all the material left out of the original DVD, extending the movie to around an hour in length instead of it's original 45 minutes).
ganzo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:35 am Reply with quote
are you asking for opinion, or you seen it, since you said its a "good" story.

I can't believe I am going to say something about this, but this is as gross as it can get, at least one of those super gross ones.

Story, action was all good, but mg those sick stuffs that seems coming from a hentai are just gross and made me think of "the thing"(carpenter one).

For people who seen this, aren't you shocked when the vagina monster come out? hehe horrifying.

Last edited by ganzo on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
ganzo wrote:
For people who seen this, aren't you shocked when the vagina monster come out? hehe horrifying.

Technically, aren't you and Sir _Brass spoiling it for the guy who hasn't seen it?

Anyway as far as that scene, think Blue Gender with the Blue and "an angry woman's crotch". Also, I thought the dub was watchable. Rather, the writing wasn't the best in the world. Unlike Doomed Megalopolis, where it starts to REALLY get good by the end of the 2nd-beginning of the 3rd episode.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:47 am Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
....with a chessy Romero and Juliet
twist...

Funniest typo I've seen this month... Romero and Juliet?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
the_soultaker wrote:
....with a chessy Romero and Juliet
twist...

Funniest typo I've seen this month... Romero and Juliet?

- abunai

OUCH! Ya bastid, Twisted Evil Laughing Damn that's what happens when i'm posting whilist multitasking. Or maybe it's because i'm somewhat of a George A. Romero fan (Freudian slip) My bad. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2