• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are girls portrayed as an anomoly?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I happen to be of the female persuasion and though I do often enjoy the stereotype that girls are typically less involved with anime and video games then boys sometimes I wonder at it. The more time I spend the more girls I find and it makes me think shouldn't we update the way we think a little. Sure we are somewhat of a minority but not as much as we used to be. Besides no one has ever seen anything wrong with boobs at a convention even if they aren't bared. Very Happy
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Do you mean in Japan or America? I do think people in the States are beginning to realize that there is, in fact, a substantial female market for anime/video games. I haven't seen any recent numbers, but I'm pretty sure that the majority is still male, though. As for Japan, I don't live there so I don't know. As another female in love with animation, I really don't think the stereotypes of fandom matter so much. I WOULD like to see more women on the production side of anime (and animation in general), though. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to see that change in my lifetime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh I meant America I don't presume to know a great lot about the Japanese point of view but I do agree that I'd like to see more women in the anime production side of things. There are of course plenty of female manga-ka though and that's definitely an admirable thing. My favorite artist of late is Kaori Yuki and she's come up with some of the most wonderful strange and taboo manga I've read at least. Angel Sanctuary is very awsome in my opinion.
OTP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure about girls and video games, but I do know that anime/manga licensors are taking the female demographic very seriously. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so much shoujo anime/manga licensed recently. As far as people go, I think females are very into manga becuase everytime I go to the manga section of Borders, there's nothing but girls there. Although, I'm a guy so I might be wrong about this.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
No! Videogames are the last exclusive male recluse we have left. You cannot impede on this most sacred male territory and take it away from us! You will have to pry the joypad out of out cold dead fingers! We won't allow it! Not after nurturing it for years while enduring verbal abuse and ridicule from you before the industry bloomed into what it is today.

Y.. yo.. you can't just barge in and steal it away from us like you have with so many other things. Not after we did all the hard work!

Grabs his copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and a knife from the counter and runs crying, hiding himself under a table in fetal position while mumbling and swinging the knife at anyone who comes close.
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
What you honestly think that's going to deter me I'm already an avid gamer you can't stop me now. mwahahahahahahahaha winning against boys everywhere.
El Oso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Besides no one has ever seen anything wrong with boobs at a convention even if they aren't bared.

Amen to that!

I've only seen some female otaku at conventions, but have never known any. So that stereotype is still there in my own little world. As for games, if I ever saw a girl playing a game I would completely flip out Shocked
Lazuright

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote
I don't know about anywhere else, but where i live and go to school a majority of the guys think anime is dumb. F**k them, what do they know! But there are still some and a whole lot of girls. I'm one of the founding fathers of the anime club in my school and over half of the people who attend are girls. Which is cool for me!
As for gamers, i don't know about the rest of you, but it's awsome to compete against a girl who gets really involved with the game. And it's fun to see her reaction weather she wins or loses!
Rendart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
I guess I am just unlucky to be sorounded by friends who have absolutly no interest in my hobbie (anime) or take gaming seriously, the only female I know who is into anime/vid gaming is my friends wife... and she is by no means a serious gamer or otaku... I am so alone...

-Rendart
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm a gamer girl I'm really bad at Halo but I still know how to play. I also played Diablo II and a plethora of rpg's I feel special now because I'm a minority.
El Oso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess I am just unlucky to be sorounded by friends who have absolutly no interest in my hobbie (anime) or take gaming seriously

Same here Crying or Very sad

Quote:
I'm one of the founding fathers of the anime club in my school and over half of the people who attend are girls. Which is cool for me!
As for gamers, i don't know about the rest of you, but it's awsome to compete against a girl who gets really involved with the game. And it's fun to see her reaction weather she wins or loses!

Oh how I envy you!
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
interesting, it was a girl who got me into anime in the first place. I would not know about any of this had it not been for her.

she's also an avid gamer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
At my old anime club all the leaders were women. Some people would think that our group consisted of almost exclusively guys, until they actually saw the group and realized that it was about even.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
No! Videogames are the last exclusive male recluse we have left. You cannot impede on this most sacred male territory and take it away from us! You will have to pry the joypad out of out cold dead fingers! We won't allow it! Not after nurturing it for years while enduring verbal abuse and ridicule from you before the industry bloomed into what it is today.

Y.. yo.. you can't just barge in and steal it away from us like you have with so many other things. Not after we did all the hard work!

When I some day work as a major designer in the video game industry I will glare at you in a sardonic way. Well... I am already doing that now. Heheh. (is female)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

Grabs his copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and a knife from the counter and runs crying, hiding himself under a table in fetal position while mumbling and swinging the knife at anyone who comes close.

Hee hee, you know that the artwork for Castlevania was done by a woman, right? Ayami Kojima's drawings are dripping with style and sexiness. And they make girls like me drawn to the game because of the pretty boys!

Seriously, I've been playing video games my whole life and have managed to co-exist peacefully with my male counterparts. You don't need to worry about me stealing away your games, kamiboy. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4