• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Newbie question here-previously posted in wrong forum

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunburnthammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote
I have always been aware of manga films and remember clearly films like akira. Now i am aware that manga/anime is a much larger industry than just the films that broke into the west. Having seen the Animatrix my fondness for this animation became apparent again. The animation present within the animatrix in the episodes "the second revolution I & II", "Kid story" & "Beyond" was fantastic, and also the animation in "Kill Bill" and i am now looking to find other titles which have the same styles of animation. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

thank you taking the time to read this post.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
Try the Cowboy Bebop TV series by the director of Kid's Story.

However I must disappoint you if you are looking for something with the same sketchy experimental animation style in Kid's Story as there are not many like it. Also anime with the animation budget or quality that can match the other two you mentioned are few and far between. You should be looking into OVAs and movies as they tend to have a higher animation budgets.

Try FLCL which has very good animation but is a very strange anime and not for everyone. In terms of movies with high quality animation I would recommend Escaflowne the movie, Vampire Hunter D: Blood Lust, Cowboy Bebop the movie and Ghost in the Shell I & II: Innocence. The only other OVA with high quality animation I can think of right now is Blue Submarine no. 6 from the director of The Second Renaissance I&II. But Blue Sub is animation mixed with 3D CGI that looks a little out of place so be forewarned.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
You might like Requiem From The Darkness. It has a rather unique animation style that might be a little bit similar to the segment in Kill Bill.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually, Shinichiro Watanabe directed the Detective Story found on the Animatrix and the Enter the Matrix video game. I really liked the style of this one. It was similar to Kids Story, in that it wasn't your Dad's cartoons.

However, if you're looking for cool animation, look no further than Appleseed. I've never seen anything like it - sort of a 3D/CGI/Cell shaded type thing. It's simply stunning, and (depending on where you live) coming to a theater near you. To pass the time, you can check out the Appleseed OVA. Not quite as good animation, but entertaining anyway.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:36 am Reply with quote
For a TV series, I suggest Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Production I.G. does very good animation work on it. And the story is interesting. It's not as dark as Akira (in the beginning anyway) but eventually deals with some more serious issues.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Quote:
Actually, Shinichiro Watanabe directed the Detective Story found on the Animatrix and the Enter the Matrix video game.

Actually, according to my Animatrix DVD, he directed them both while he also wrote detective story.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Try Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories. He directed Akira, and conceptualized all of this movie (it has three segments), as well as directed the last segment, Cannon Fodder. This last one has a very unique art style; it's very sketchy and has very unique character designs.

Also try looking at Atama-yama, a short, independently produced piece by Koji Yamamura. It also has nice animation and a very distinct style.

I agree with kamiboy's suggestion of FLCL. It's definitely not for everyone, but the animation is just fantastic. I'm a big studio GAINAX fan (it's funny that you mention Beyond; when I watched it the first time I could have sworn it was something that GAINAX animated, 'cause it reminded me so much of their animation style--it was actually done by Studio 4°C, also behind the wonderful animation in Magnetic Rose in Memories) so I have a bad habit of recommending everything they've done... at least their older stuff. Wings of Honneamise is one of my all-time favorites. It has really nice animation and a good story. Again, this is probably an aquired taste, so maybe a rental is best.

Neo-Tokyo is another collection of three movies from great anime directors. The animation is stunning, but the story (at least for Labyrinth) is a little on the independent/experimental side. Again, this might be a good choice because it contains three distinct styles of animation, and the last segment is directed by Katsuhiro Otomo.

When it comes out, give Samurai Champloo a look. It's directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, and while the visuals may not be as expressive as Kid's Story, his exhilarating directing style comes out nonetheless. The animation is really nice as well, and the character designs are by Kazuto Nakazawa, who worked on the Kill Bill anime segment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1