• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku's Anime Expo LA Concert Gets BD/DVD/CD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh why is this only going to be sold in japan it was in LA so it should be sold here as well

Because as many have already demonstrated, American fans aren't willing to pay those prices and those who are, will just import.

Now you know why we can't have nice things...
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
Happy 4th Birthday MIKU!!!!!!! <3
xBTAx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Now, that I think about it, actually... it's odd that they're releasing it like this. They're already releasing a CD/DVD/BD for the two concerts that happened in Japan this year, and the BD of those actually costs a good deal less than the LA concert's BD while having over twice the length.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Many of the songs in the concert are managed by Sony records (I think all of supercell's stuff is through them), and they're quite notorious about charge obscene royalties for overseas licenses...

Doesn't Sony Records have an American branch too? Why can't it be distributed through that?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Many of the songs in the concert are managed by Sony records (I think all of supercell's stuff is through them), and they're quite notorious about charge obscene royalties for overseas licenses...

Doesn't Sony Records have an American branch too? Why can't it be distributed through that?

Because the concert is put on by Sega.

What I'm saying is that Sega would have to make sure it has the license to all the songs from Sony Records America, and just because sega has the rights in Japan with Sony Japan doesn't mean that Sony America couldn't demand insane amounts of money for them to release the concert footage in the US.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It says 24 songs, which is a pretty deep set. How long did it last? 2hours? Was there any M.C. there to pump up the crowd in between songs and such?

From what I've seen in clips of Japanese shows Miku carries the show herself. She introduces the band members, rallies the crowd, the usual stuff you'd expect from a live concert. People aren't just watching Miku clips for the entire show.

As for the songs, pretty sure (again from Japanese clips I've seen) some songs are mashed together as medleys so it isn't 24 full length songs.

On a related note, did anyone here get the exclusive Miku DVD that was sold at Otakon during the Miku Live panel? I think I read that it was all wowaka videos. Really wish I'd gone to that...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jarm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
kireblue wrote:
$46 for a CD! $82 for a DVD! Japanese Otaku are crazy

na, you just don't know anything. American dollars are the just crazy one(i mean sucks). 6,300 yen is just little big more expensive than a movie or concert dvd. you will probably change your mind about it when 1 dollar was 150 yen few years ago. Couple week's ago that i check is $1 = 75 yen.

people need to stop covert them to USD because they are not selling it in USD. Stuffs in Japan don't get more expensive, it's just our money wroth way less than before. Ohh yea, Canadian dollar wroth more than USD.

Good point, the dollar has been tanking against the yen for months now. If not for monetary intervention, it would be valued so much higher than the dollar, meaning prices like these could have been in the hundreds...

But anyway, IF they plan on releasing it here, they wouldn't release simultaneously to prevent reverse importation. Because I doubt any one here would buy the discs at the Japanese prices, so they would lower them, making it a threat to Japanese domestic retailers.

OR they might not be releasing it here at all and just want to make the most ardent miku fans have pay the Japanese prices. It's really anyone's guess here.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I heard that Sega threatened not to release a Home Video version of the concert because they saw so much footage being put up on video sites like youtube. *If* that's true maybe they gauged the loyalty of Japanese fans versus English speaking fans with a comparison between youtube and niconico on how inundated each were with concert footage.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
A bit pointless this anyway when every song that was sung then is readily available on Youtube, Amazon, iTunes and HearJapan for a fraction of the cost. I've seen enough of LA on Youtube to convince me it was not much different than the 2010 concert in Tokyo. The only thing that would have made this one stand out is if the English version of Miku was used and it wasn't so meh. Only those who were there would want to buy it as a reminder of that momentous occasion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2