• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Appleseed Theater List

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
So it's going to be flagrantly obvious CGI is it? While it has improved, I still hate it in general and won't be going to see it-- and it's local too.
Darkness©

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
While I WOULD go see it, Of course it's not coming to Nebraska....

WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE DETERMINED BY WHERE THE CELEBRITIES GO!!!!??? Anime cry
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Because that's how things work.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
New York and LA are the biggest markets for the indie films and CA & NY the biggest states. If you're going to have a limited run, these would be the states to go to. I expect Appleseed will have a limited run.

The films I don't care to see come here. The ones I *want* to see never show up at all and I have to wait for video
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
I can't believe they aren't opening in any Boston theaters.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
So it's going to be flagrantly obvious CGI is it? While it has improved, I still hate it in general and won't be going to see it-- and it's local too.

That's your loss. Razz i thought it was a very entertaining flick even if it's a CGI/Cel shaded hybrid. I'm confident that this Movie will rank in some dough,well atleast when it arrives on DVD. Embarassed
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I WOULD go see it, Of course it's not coming to Nebraska....

WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE DETERMINED BY WHERE THE CELEBRITIES GO!!!!???

It has nothing to do with "celebrities", it has to do with places they can make money with it, aka large multicultural cities where the minority who are interested are large enough to make it profitable.

That's not Nebraska.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
They are also aiming for a mainstream audience by showing it re-dubbed in regular theaters.

No showings in San Francisco or Berkeley. Instead San Jose and Walnut Creek for the Bay Area.

The stated plan is to reach out to the regular movie crowd, see how it does and then expand the number of theaters.

It may be in your area after all, just not the first week.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Cowpunk wrote:
They are also aiming for a mainstream audience by showing it re-dubbed in regular theaters.

No showings in San Francisco or Berkeley. Instead San Jose and Walnut Creek for the Bay Area.

The stated plan is to reach out to the regular movie crowd, see how it does and then expand the number of theaters.

It may be in your area after all, just not the first week.
thats ussaly how it works for My partof town hits Phoenix then works on down to Tucson Problem is the theatre that ussaly gets limited release stuff has a really crappy sound system not to mention is tiny.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic: At least it's better than the manga.

Anyway, at least it got released in Chicago, which means Ebert might be able to review it.
tomcat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
For once I'll been able to see an anime release without having to trek up to deepest darkest L.A. or a Con, and yes I hate e-dub, if you can't read and watch a movie at the same time, I'll help with the feeding of your guide dog. HUndreds of movies from europe and elsewhere, because they are adult theamed movies with overbearing tones of drama, are praised to the high-heavens even though they were e-subbed. Some even pulled down academey Awards big whoop!

But we cartoon-viewers are assumed to be to so dullardly we must have a has-been TV star read our movie to us because we're so helpless, maybe that's why I've yet to buy anyone of the U.S. versions of anime. All hail boots.
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't care if it's dub or not, as long as I get to see it. Although it'll be nice to have it subbed for the anime fan community, the fact is that we don't actually matter when it comes to theatrical releases. Anime fans are a minorty compared to a whole entire state or city. Geneon is trying to appeal to a large amount of people in limited areas, including those who don't want anime as commonly as normal anime fans. If you really like anime, then you wouldn't be so picky if it was in English, French, German or whatever language it may be. Just be glad it was bought and imported over.

Sorry about going on a tangent there, but I always feel annoyed by people who aren't open-minded over the smallest thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1