• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime Enters New World Arc on October 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how they'll animate Sanji's nosebleeds?
DrewHLMW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I hate the 1 chapter = 1 episode thing.

I just cant watch sumthing for 20 minutes that would only take me 5 minutes to read.

I'll give the the new world arc a go but if it remains 1 chapter = 1 episode then it wont be long till i just stick to the manga.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll change the title just like Naruto and Dragonball. One Piece: New World?
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Yeah, later on OP gets so dang padded out each episode it gets really annoying. It's especially annoying since OP's formula of various different islands and traveling between them lends itself to make easy arcs. I don't mind when the anime does it's own thing, since new material is always fun for me, but I guess it's nice if it's in arcs so those who don't care can skip in, but with episodes being padded with either recaps/flashbacks/general stare-downs, you can't really skip em that easily.

But, that's pretty much part of all long running shonen anime. The only thing I dislike is the recap at the beginning of almost every episode, but it's easy to skip that with the power of my finger, and it's usually about 4-5 minutes in so the timing isn't hard.

Either way, I love me some One Piece and can't wait for the crew to finally get back together.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the point of adding filler within episodes is to get people to watch each episode. They want audiences skipping as little of the seres as possible.

That being said, I do like what they've done. It's improved greatly after the Paramount War. The war at Marineford felt really slow and grating. However, once they got to the part where the Straw Hats are hanging out on their faraway islands (and other places), I think they executed the filler writing quite well. It fits within the canon stuff quite well.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of the 1 chapter = 1 episode either, but that's what we have to deal with I'm afraid.
I don't mind so much as I skip the opening and the generic introduction, but that leaves me with 15 mins of episode tops. Not good.
I thought the worst the anime has suffered was the War of the Best.
It was so dragged out and was full of still screens showing stuff happening rather than actual animation. Very poor arc considering the huge impact it had.
Hopefully they do rename the show though.
Like people said, it gives new fans an entry point to jump in.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
15 minutes tops?

OP is 2:30 and the introduction is at max 3:00.

So worst case scenario you're looking at 18-19 minutes.

Thankfully something happens in every chapter of One Piece, so after every episode (unless it's filler) it seems like the story has advanced at least a little.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I too stopped watching ages ago because of the 1 chapter = 1 episode thing. Even with pretty dense chapters and while it doesn't compete with DBZ in terms of how padded it out it is, the anime is just horrible.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's that bad. Just gives something for fanboys to contemplate about even more. But I can sit through DBZ, so for me, One Piece's current pacing isn't terrible or unwatchable ( I certainly think Bleach's frequent filler arc interrupting main storyline in the Espada arc was a much worse offender) . Certainly not up to par with the pacing or animation quality we've seen early on in the series (East Blue-Alabasta), but by the time Skypiea-Water Seven came around, I think it was there that the pacing was showing its stride. War of the Best is the worst offender, but I've been through worse in other series. The only thing I can really say was terrible was the animation quality. As someone else mentioned, the stills per 5 mins was just annoying. They were some great quality episodes, but then there was the bad as well. The flashbacks, not so much bad, as it was needed. I thought the flashbacks spoiler[when Shanks showed up were needed considering how long it's been since we (or , the Japanese viewers, have seen him.]

I'm glad to see that the New World Arc is starting. But I've always felt maybe the animation team should take a break to let the story in the manga progress? Wishful thinking for a cash cow series, but I've always was of the opinion of doing Shounen series (especially long running ones) in Seasons. Much like what they're doing with Nura. Give the manga time to develop the story while avoiding filler material and generally having much better pacing.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Could be related to audience expectations. American viewers are used to season breaks, for instance, or even mid-season breaks like with South Park. But Japanese viewers might not. I heard cases where a show takes a break and viewers leave without coming back when new episodes resume. Maybe they were afraid of that happening with One Piece.

Then again, total viewership would be at its highest if the show ran continuously throughout the year.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
It's more business. If they sell the timeslot to another show, then it's likely they'll never get it back.

Seasons don't really have anything to do with it, it's all production choices on how they handle things. Naruto does anime-exclusive storylines and arcs (we're in one right now) One Piece just prefers to slow everything down in order to do as little anime-exclusive stuff as possible. Detective Conan does some anime-exclusive things, but also right now it's doing specials which are adaptions of Aoyoma's other manga Magic Kaitou, which fits into the Detective Conan universe (though obviously not many manga have this option)

Seasons only really work for shorter series, especially if they're based on a monthly manga (though in some cases like FMA and Soul Eater, you'll just have the anime depart halfway through) Qwaser of Stigamta's second season did a bit of both, they started inserting anime-only stuff and pretty much had to stop since they caught up with the monthly manga anyway. Third season wont be out til Spring or Summer 2012 if I had to guess.

Or I guess American television which have no real story, like South Park, so it's not really important for it to come out at a steady pace. Then again, they can crank out an episode of South Park in a few days given how inexpensive it is so they don't even need to do seasons. American television isn't really a good comparison though, they rely a lot more on reruns and syndication.

Of course, I assume the biggest factor is how mainstream it is. One Piece and Naruto are some of the biggest anime out there in Japanese TV. Wouldn't really be smart of them to just stop for months, unlike a more otaku oriented show like Slayers or Qwaser. Even shows like PreCure/Sentai/Kamen Rider don't really stop, they just kind of make a new series in those franchises to take over once they finish. Also because Qwaser/Slayers make a lot of their money through DVD/BD sales, while longer running shows like Naruto/Conan/OP usually don't make very much from DVD/BD sales in comparison, despite being much more popular.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
When you mentioned the network selling the timeslot to another show, I thought, "But what about reruns?" Then I remembered it's a serial show.

Then again, it could still be feasible to make 26 episodes per year, once per week, and show the season over again for the other 26 weeks. Why is that not done? Some serials in America do that.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't One Piece aired twice a month, instead than once a week?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the simulcast once a week, so I'm pretty sure it shows that often.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind them taking a break to make each episode more content rich with less fluff...maybe in the summer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2