• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has anyone read a Doujin. based on an American movie/cartoon

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I was at South Park Studios website and I looked at the Q&A part of the website. One of the questions involved South Park doujinshi. I couldn't believe it. When I found out there were South Park doujinshis, I went wtf. I can't imagine how twisted those doujinshis would be.

It also said that Matt and Trey have seen them and thought they were great. I've actually seen some South Park fanart that ware drawn in Japan. The art was...well...great which is weird since this is South Park.

So, has anyone ever read a doujinshi based on an American movie or cartoon, and what did you guys think?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:05 am Reply with quote
I've seen doujinshi for Interview with a Vampire, Buffy, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Nightmare Before Christmas, Pirates of the Carribean, and well, the list goes on. They make doujinshi for whatever is popular over there. Doesn't surprise me that South Park is popular enough over there since it got a sort of parody cameo in FLCL.
kaitoueesu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
The only doujin that I've read that is based on anything American is the Star Wars doujin by CLAMP. It's....weird.....and the art is pretty. Laughing
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
kaitoueesu wrote:
The only doujin that I've read that is based on anything American is the Star Wars doujin by CLAMP. It's....weird.....and the art is pretty. Laughing

o.O They seriously did a Star Wars doujin? The only doujin I hear about by them from their doujin days is some Devilman doujin. They have done a star wars doujin? This is seriously going on my hunting list for doujinshi. I feel it's destiny for me to own it if such a thing exists.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote
I read about that in Anime Insider. It showed the cover. It was really bizzare.
hakootoko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Antarctic Press once released 1 (maybe even 2) issues of a magazine filled with doujin of US superheros.

Needless to say, that got stomped on pretty quickly.

hakootoko
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:54 pm Reply with quote
My brother bought a South Park doujinshi, and I was amazed! I wish I could have read it. I am really interested in Harry Potter doujinshi, but.. well, with any doujinshi, I don't know how to get it and more importantly, I don't know how to read it! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I've seen one of Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill that was kind of a twisted origin story.

The less said about it, the better.

Same goes for the Hermione and Harry Potter x Draco doujins I've come across on various Japanese scan sites.

I also once came across this interesting, thankfully non-sexualized, manga-esque picture of Alex, Julie, Jack, and Katie Power from Marvel's Power Pack, though it's not from a doujin, it's just fan art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
amarythia
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
kaitoueesu wrote:
o.O They seriously did a Star Wars doujin?

No, actually, CLAMP has not. You'll be hunting in vain.

The Star Wars art from Anime Insider is actually from a St. Seiya doujinshi CLAMP printed. It is a pseudo-advertisement, not an actual doujinshi per se.

Oh yeah, and in addition to the other American series mentioned here, I have X-Files doujinshi. Anime smile

Amarythia
aloysius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
amarythia wrote:
Oh yeah, and in addition to the other American series mentioned here, I have X-Files doujinshi. ^_^

Amarythia

Oooh. I used to be a big fan of X-Files; can you tell me what sort of dojin that is? I'm curious. :D

As for the original question ... to name some that haven't been named yet, I have seen "The Last Samurai" and "X-Men" (movieverse) dojinshi.
amarythia
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:07 am Reply with quote
[quote="aloysius"]
amarythia wrote:
Oooh. I used to be a big fan of X-Files; can you tell me what sort of dojin that is? I'm curious. Very Happy

Gag doujinshi. Anime smile

Amarythia
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1