• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
will a mecha fan like escaflowne the movie?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:04 am Reply with quote
i can watch escaflowne the movie on demand, but i'm not sure about it right now. is it shounen w/ lots of mecha action? is it similar to macross and gundam, patlabor?
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure about the movie, but the series really isn't your typical military style mecha show. The basic set-up for the show is rather shoujo-esque. A girl gets transported to another world where she suddenly has special powers. I'd say there's probably more drama than action. But if watching the movie doesn't cost any extra money, then you may as well go for it.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if a hard core "Babes and 'bots" mecha fan would enjoy the escaflowne movie. Now, with that said, compared to the series (I enjoyed BOTH the series and the movie very much, I must say), the movie is very dark and bloody. Essentially the only thing that the two have in common is a common setting (world called gaea), an enemy called Zaibach, and a few characters who look alike with the same names. Animation style is different, as is overall political settings, etc.

The movie is one that anyone who loves swordfighting will drool over. Not a whole lot of projectile weapons fights in this feature. Still, the mecha combat, though it being the highlights of the film instead of the expected norm, is top notch. I got a real thrill out of the film that I hadn't gotten in a long while.

As for the series: you have to be more of a fantasy fan with a slight taste of mecha rather than a hardcore mecha fan, to really enjoy it. Still a great series, if you ask me.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote
Well the series has both Shonen and Shoujo elements to it. I wouldn't start off with the movie if I were you. (unless you have no way of watching the series) The movie is an alternate retelling of the series, that moves extremely fast. If you don't see the series first, not much is really explained or developed.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:34 am Reply with quote
I saw the movie before I saw the series and they really had nothing to do with each other. Unlike some other series and their accompanying movie (example: RahXephon), the Escaflowne series and Escaflowne movie are two VERY VERY different stories that take place in alternate continuities. I mean, even the main character, Hitomi, is greatly different in each. In the series, she's just a highschool freshman, while in the movie I think she's already a high school junior. In the series, she's fairly cheerful, energetic . . . an normal high school girl. In the movie, she's dark, moody, and entertains thoughts of suicide.

You won't miss anything in the series if you watch the movie first, and if you see the series first, you won't have anything spoiled in the movie.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
I liked the series a lot better than the film, but it was still worth seeing.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
I managed to see the movie in a theater(first anime I saw on a big screen) & it was wonderful. A lot of the series fans seem to sidlike the movie, but the movie makers simply retold the story as anime makers sometimes do with movies. Since they had to cram 26 eps into the space of a movie, things were altered. One can watch the movie to get the feel of the show even though the show is different. The basic idea of the show is there, even though the plot is different.
Plus the movie is beautifully animated.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Well, watch the series first. It's a mix of the elements in Fushigi Yuugi/Inuyasha and with some of Macross/Gundam. Escaflowne was created by Kawamori Shouji who did Macross so anticipate your expectations to be met.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
Well, watch the series first.

It doesn't matter WHICH you watch first. The question was about the movie, not asking if he should watch the series or the movie first. If he's looking at buying just the movie, I don't think it's right to tell him to shell out a bunch more money just to get the series because "you should watch the series first" when the two have no bearing on each other (because they are different continuities).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Well the movie is actually intended to be a retelling of the series. It was made 4 years after it ended and is really supposed to be a stand alone story apart from what actually happened.

I've heard a lot of people say they dislike it after watching the TV series because of how the characters and setting changed, but I personally find it a great watch. I can also say I wasn't a big fan the first time through, but after watching the interviews and extras on the Ultimate Edition, it made more sense, and I was able to like it for what it was.

Now, getting back to the question of would it be a good title to watch for a mecha fan, I'd say no. The movie is only 96 minutes, and maybe only 10 of it is with the Guymelefs (or however you spell it).

I'd highly recommend this for a fantasy fan, though. What really made the entire franchise interesting was the fact they put mechas in a feudal world and actually made them fit in. So if you like medieval-ish fantasy with a little mecha as a side order, then I'd whole-heartedly suggest this.

However, don't expect a lot of action, as the movie actually concentrates more on characterization and development of Hitomi (the female protagonist), rather than a hero and his nemesis dueling to the the death in giant robots Smile.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
First of all, Escaflowne was not intended to be a mech movie. And there's really very little mech action in the movie. And whatever IS there is just pretty average if you ask me.
Dragon Of Earth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
spikespiegel98 wrote:
i can watch escaflowne the movie on demand, but i'm not sure about it right now. is it shounen w/ lots of mecha action? is it similar to macross and gundam, patlabor?

the series is better than the movie, so if you do watch the movie, don't let it make you avoid the series.

PS: Escaflowne was what got me intrested in Anime in the first place
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1