• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Insiders 50 Best Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDINGBAT1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
I really Hope this hasent been posted before

In the Jan. 05 issues of Anime Insider, they have produced a list of "The 50 Best DVD Series Ever." (which is kind of strange because they include just movies in hear to, but whatever) To save every one the hassle of spending 5 bucks on the magizine, hears the list...

50. Haibane Renmei
49. Excell Saga Imperfect Collection
48. Gravitation
47. Love Hina Christmas Special
46. Saikano
45. Project A-Ko Special Edition
44. Fushigi Yugi Suzaku Box Set
43. Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
42. Saiyuki Season 2
41. Cardcaptor Sakura The Movie 2: The Sealed Card
40. Inyuasah Vol. 12
39. The Animatrix
38. Great Teacher Onizuka Box Set 1
37. Heat Guy J
36. Sailor Moon s
35. Dragon Ball Z: Perfect Cell Saga
34. Ghost In the Shell
33. Azumanga Daioh
32. Witch Hunter Robin Box Set
31. Ranma 1/2 Season 1
30. Macross Plus
29. Trigun Box Set
28. Interstella 5555
27. Hellsing Complete Collection
26. Urusei Yatsura Beutiful Dreamer
25. Castle of Cagliostro
24. Wolf's Rain Box Set
23. Perfect Blue
22. Tenchi Muyo! OVA Collection
21. Revolutionary Gilr Utena The Movie
20. Ninja Scroll 10th Anniversary Edition
19. Castle in The Sky
18. Rahxephon TV Series
17. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
16. Escaflowne Perfect Vision
15. The End of Evangelion
14. Gundam SEED
13. Grave of The FireFlies
12. Berserk Box of War
11. Cowboy Bebop Perferct Collection
10. Fruits Basket
9. Read or Die
8. Robetech Legacy: The Macross Saga
7. FLCL
6. Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
5. His and Her Circumstances
4. Akira
3. Rurouni Kenshin: Legenda of Kyoto Collection
2. Spirited Away
AND NUMBER ONE

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION PLATINUM EDITION
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
biliano*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
I have a subscription to AI, so I know what the 50 best DVDs are, but thanks for posting the list for those who don't read AI.
I own some of these titles that are on the list, and it basically covers all of the various genres of anime.

Personally, I don't understand why Gravitation, The Animatrix, and Dragonball Z are on the list. They are three of the most overrated anime titles on the market. Kaleido Star, Serial Expriments Lain, and Full Metal Panic are much better titles and should have been on the list.
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:34 am Reply with quote
thanks for posting the list. I had a bunch to say then looked back and saw it said the best 50dvd's and not the 50 best anime's.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:35 am Reply with quote
Now, what I'd like to know is if the list is compiled based purely on the technical quality of the DVDs, or if the quality of the show on the DVDs also plays a factor.

Because if the latter's involved, Haibane Renmei was ranked way too low...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
Since it's a magazine it's probably based upon reader opinion poll in which case would be useless from a consumer point of view as they wouldn't be professionally tested or rated. On the other hand it would be useful in terms of suggestions for new anime to pick up.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Now, what I'd like to know is if the list is compiled based purely on the technical quality of the DVDs, or if the quality of the show on the DVDs also plays a factor.

Going by the introduction blurb they judged them by both. Thing I don't get is, according to them these are supposed to be the ultimate discs that everybody must own if they're going to call themselves otaku. So why 50? Why not 25? Why even bother numbering them at all? Just seemed like they were grasping at a reason to do a top 50, especially since the whole list comes across as a random mix of OAVs, movies, TV series box sets, random box sets from longer series, and even single TV DVDs. None of their explenations really tell you why the entry deserves its spot and some don't even get past a quick summery of what the episodes are about. Just a very inconsistant and random feeling list and if there a reason behind their numbering then they failed to show it.

Only thing that confused me more than the list was the Stuff feature on page 90. What the heck, the 1/48 Aerial Battle Frame from Nadesico as a holidy pick!? That thing has been out of production for YEARS (I checked the copy right on the box I own, it's 1997), the kits only show up in random places, and the last place you're going to find info on it is Bandai.com (that's the Bandai America website)! Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:29 am Reply with quote
If there doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason as to why certain things were placed where they were, it gives the little credit to the quality of this compilation. Considering I've seen most of what is on that list, I'm inclined to agree that there are several titles that deserve to be on there more than a few of those listed on there.

While I haven't read a great deal of Anime Insider, it gives me little incentive to start reading it when I see that the overall views don't really match up to my own. I personally hate to see lists without giving a reason as to why it takes a spot over another. Now while there certainly are some very good, quality titles on this list (and I agree with some of the placements), it doesn't sound any better than a random fan doing a list thread.

Last edited by Godaistudios on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
If there doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason as to why certain things were placed where they were, it gives the little credit to the quality of this compilation. Considering I've seen most of what is on that list, I'm inclined to agree that there are several titles that deserve to be on there more than a few of those listed on there.

While I'm haven't read a great deal of Anime Insider, it gives me little incentive to start reading it when I see that the overall views don't really match up to my own. I personally hate to see lists without giving a reason as to why it takes a spot over another. Now while there certainly are some very good, quality titles on this list (and I agree with some of the placements), it doesn't sound any better than a random fan doing a list thread.

Abolutely
It just seems like such a juvenile thing to do; is said "Top 50" list really going to be that helpful or entertaining to readers? It's quite likely to provoke and offend, though Wink
biliano*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Red Recluse wrote:
It just seems like such a juvenile thing to do; is said "Top 50" list really going to be that helpful or entertaining to readers? It's quite likely to provoke and offend, though Wink

Hell no! It was very helpful and entertaining. Please recall that Bamboo Dong and Rebecca Bundy, two of ANN's reviewers, contributed to the list. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, the list represents nearly all of the various genres of anime, so there's something for everyone. You don't necessarily have to buy all of the titles.

And if AI ranked them by quality, then I'm in agreement with Nagisa that Hanibale Renmei was ranked too low. The same can be said for SaiKano. (Dragonball Z and The Animatrix are better than SaiKano? I don't think so!)
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

None of the above, especially since Robotech is in the top 10. The staff at Anime Insider really need to have their eyes checked, as the overall quality of all Robotech Legacy DVDs is no different from a VHS copy of the same episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I hoped AI would raise the bar for anime mags once it started hiring smart, tough, knowledgable writers and editors, but I guess Gareb "Wizard magazine" Shamus just ain't the publisher to institute a respectable anime mag. Saying this list has something for everyone misses the point; a "best of" list with minor or negligible stuff on it is no "Best of" list at all. It's all about hype, not merit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
AND NUMBER ONE

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION PLATINUM EDITION

Wow. Just...wow.

In all fairness, why? Never have I seen such an overhyped series get onto most Top lists. I also can't believe why this overhyped series got the better of a MIYAZAKI FILM.

AI must've either been paid off, or some personal bias played into the mix. I can't see how Beserk got higher than Grave of the Fireflies, or how GITS, Excel Saga, or Azumanga Daioh got into their respective ranks.Or even why DBZ even got onto the list.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:25 am Reply with quote
Sounds like another load of BS list. 2Pac is not the best rapper, and Evangelion is not the best anime.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:51 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Please recall that Bamboo Dong and Rebecca Bundy, two of ANN's reviewers, contributed to the list.

Are you sure about this? If BD contributed this article, then this

biliano wrote:
The same can be said for SaiKano.

should not happen. We all know who her avatar is. Wink

Could JDINGBAT1 or anyone else who has AI January issue provide the contributor information for this list? Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:31 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
biliano wrote:
Please recall that Bamboo Dong and Rebecca Bundy, two of ANN's reviewers, contributed to the list.

Are you sure about this? If BD contributed this article, then this

biliano wrote:
The same can be said for SaiKano.

should not happen. We all know who her avatar is. Wink

Could JDINGBAT1 or anyone else who has AI January issue provide the contributor information for this list? Thanks in advance.

Yes, I'm sure of it. Check page 58 of AI Issue #18 (which contains the Top 50 article) at the end of the Evangelion review.

And speaking of Evangelion, the reason why I think that it was #1 was because AI promotes the series (either directly or indirectly) in every stinkin' issue since the magazine started. I'm not saying that Evangelion is a bad series, because it is a great series, but it is no way better than any of Miyazaki's works, and it is certainly not better than Grave of the Fireflies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2