• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
book's VS. games

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mia-Of-The-Moon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote
What woud you do? Read aney type of book's all day or play aney type of game's all day? I'am asking because my famlie says I play to much video games and I know I read more manga's and comic book's. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I would definately choose reading without a second thought. I love to read, espically when I find a really good book/author

I have a friend who games practically all day and I'm like "how do you do it?" I've played video games, but I just can't get into them
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Onv

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I use to play games all the time. I'd buy new videogames every week. But now it's like the total oppisite. I read manga and books all the time, and buy new books every week. I play games every now and then though, especially when an addicting game comes along.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:47 am Reply with quote
Only on rare occassions do I waste a day away with a video game (stupid RPG's! Smile ).

I prefer to read. In my opinion, reading is a great deal more engaging. Its more fun.
ping

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:34 am Reply with quote
I'd read a book, becuase 1) I suck at video games and 2) I just really like to read.

I think I'm one of the only kids whose parents try to discourage them from reading. Confused
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote
I read more than I play games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zenitram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing video games since I was 4 (I'm 17 now, 18 in March) and I've had many days/nights/marathons of gaming but it seems in recent years (the past four) my gaming has been slowly declining due to 1) Video game prices, 2) Consoles coming out to often, and 3) Intrest fading (except with rpgs and fighters). I still play games but I'm more into manga now (it's cheaper than games and anime, yea!)

So nowadays, I'd say manga/books (because I'm a huge Tolkien/fantasy freak too!).
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Having done both (spent all day reading and all day playing (a) video game(s)), I'd say that I like spending time reading more. Now, if a game has me entralled enough with it to play it all day, then that's good. It usually means the plot and story behind the game are novel-worthy (and in the case of half-life and half-life 2, the plot and story ARE indeed novel length and were written BY an actual novelist). However, in the end, after a day of marathoning a video game compared to after a day marathoning through a nice fat novel, I feel more accomplished and better about things when I've spent the day reading (or writing) a good novel.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Depend on who you're asking. If you post tihs question in a videogame forum, everyone is going to say play videogame. Post this in the manga section (most people are going to say read a manga)
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:27 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Depend on who you're asking. If you post tihs question in a videogame forum, everyone is going to say play videogame. Post this in the manga section (most people are going to say read a manga)

Reading more than playign games. I seem to not finish games that much (Haven't finished NFSU2 for example. Firckin' Drags. Pointless BS....)
seiramas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:19 am Reply with quote
I love reading more than games. althought I love both. But I love reading. I enjoy reading many manga and novel. Whereas I enjoy palying games such as Dragon quest and Z Gundam series. Very Happy Razz Shocked
ailove

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:48 am Reply with quote
i like reading, novels and manga ofcause
but im obssesed with dead or alive
strange thing is i don't have a game system in my house,
probably i'll never get one.
but i prefer reading any day. Razz
sarcasm397

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Being as I don't have a gaming system yet I do have somewhere around 40 manga books, I would have to say I enjoy reading more.
Sasquatch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I do both play video games and read mangas. But this year I have started reading mangas I have to say I have read about 20 mangas. I have also noties that since I started reading mangas that I have not played that many video games. But manga are the only books that I read Exclamation
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I would choose video games, at least from the perspective of enjoyment seeking.

While reading is enjoyable, once you've read a good book, it's been read, and I don't really enjoy re-reading it until some time has passed.

A good game on the other hand has an inherent replay factor, allowing the player to enjoy it over and over again within a short period of time.

With enough good books, you could make up for the replay factor, but if you have an equal number of good games, then games again take the lead.

From the stand point of your family though, reading is better, especially if you're still young. Better from mental developing and learning, and such stuff Wink .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2