• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Nicktoons to Air Monsuno, Jakks Pacific to Sell Toys

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AgumonKid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ShindoW wrote:
machetecat wrote:
Sounds like they're trying to do the Digimon thing.

Then they should get the rights from Disney and bring over Xross Wars, not fakime crap like this. Reminds me of Ben 10 mixed with Digimon Frontier.

Thank god they lost the rights! They did a shit job on Savers dub!
And I would pretty much rage my brain out if they aired it on either Nick or Disney!

Daimao Raki wrote:
As long as Nick gets One Piece I'll be happy.

Nick airing One Piece? Your [expletive] kidding me!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Actually, this reminds me of that Canadian animated TV series (whose name is slipping off my mind at this time) about a group of 4 kids using crystals or stones to turn into elemental (air, water, etc) monster warriors............ or something....... I forgot........ Laughing

Are you talking about DI Gata Defenders, or Magi-Nation by any chance?

Nah, I remember Di Gata. Now that ya mention Magi-Nation, that doesn't seem like it neither.

IIRC, there are brothers and sisters. I think one brother transforms into a flying pegasus, and a sister transforms into some water creature. The nerd brother, of course, manages the crystal or stone system operation. I think once they faced off a giant blue squid and magma rockmen or something....... Laughing
GordanHam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
I really don't mind whatever they bring over. If it does bad whatever, and if it does well it may lead to more interesting ventures.

But I had gotten my hopes up of for more Toei anime making it over since Power Rangers, Voltron, and Dragon Ball are all Toei. The one that really seemed possible was Saban snapping up Digimon back like they did Power Rangers and releasing Xros Wars.

Also I really feel One Piece is a show that needs to be on tv and even if Nick isn't able to produce a "faithful" adaption for die-hard fans of the series, no other channel will be able to either without completely missing it's target audience. I personally feel it would be perfect to go with Dragon Ball Kai on a weekday after school type of thing. And though I doubt anything related to One Piece airing on tv will surface anytime soon, the fact that the next Power Rangers series is pirate themed only gives me hope.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I get the feeling that One Piece practically sticks a middle finger to every rule Standards and Practices have with daytime cable TV. Most certainly, it breaks every (original) Comics Code Authority rule, and from what I've read of various censor rules for daytime shows on kids networks, it's very similar to the CCA.

I'm actually impressed 4Kids got as much out the door and into Saturday morning broadcast as it did, where the rules are strictest. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason it gave away the rights was becamse no one at 4Kids could figure out how to edit later parts to comply with the rules and still maintain some sense of the plotlines.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
AgumonKid wrote:
ShindoW wrote:
machetecat wrote:
Sounds like they're trying to do the Digimon thing.

Then they should get the rights from Disney and bring over Xross Wars, not fakime crap like this. Reminds me of Ben 10 mixed with Digimon Frontier.

Thank god they lost the rights! They did a shit job on Savers dub!
And I would pretty much rage my brain out if they aired it on either Nick or Disney!

Disney wasn't involved with the Savers dub, just with the broadcast. You should be blaming Toei for how that dub turned out.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Actually, this reminds me of that Canadian animated TV series (whose name is slipping off my mind at this time) about a group of 4 kids using crystals or stones to turn into elemental (air, water, etc) monster warriors............ or something....... I forgot........ Laughing

Maybe you mean Gormiti The Lords of Nature.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote
tsunayakuin wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Ding ding ding! That seems to be what Monsuno reminds me of. Thanks! Laughing

Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
And though I doubt anything related to One Piece airing on tv will surface anytime soon, the fact that the next Power Rangers series is pirate themed only gives me hope.

Actually, the next Power Rangers series will be angels, the series afterwards will be pirates. Wink

enurtsol wrote:
tsunayakuin wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Ding ding ding! That seems to be what Monsuno reminds me of. Thanks! Laughing

Haha, I would've never guessed that show (as it never aired in Canada).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Really? Weird. Looked to be any one of those Canadian-Marathon co-productions.... Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Actually, the next Power Rangers series will be angels, the series afterwards will be pirates. Wink

I still question how they'll handle Goseiger and Gokaiger. Goseiger is very religious with angels, gods, and stuff like that (which is frowned upon in kids shows) and Gokaiger is one big throwback to all the previous Sentai shows; most of which never were adapted into Power Rangers. Judging by Nick's handling of Shinkenger, I don't think I want to know (though the idea of Bulk and Not!Skull becoming some religious monks to tie into Goseiger amuses me)
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Primus wrote:

Really? Weird. Looked to be any one of those Canadian-Marathon co-productions.... Laughing

It is produced by Marathon, haha. But Marathon is actually a French company, who does the English audio work in Canada. I guess broadcasters up here were more willing to get Redakai (also produced by Marathon, and supposedly paid for by the government here) than Gormitti.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Somehow, I get the feeling that One Piece practically sticks a middle finger to every rule Standards and Practices have with daytime cable TV. Most certainly, it breaks every (original) Comics Code Authority rule, and from what I've read of various censor rules for daytime shows on kids networks, it's very similar to the CCA.

I'm actually impressed 4Kids got as much out the door and into Saturday morning broadcast as it did, where the rules are strictest. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason it gave away the rights was becamse no one at 4Kids could figure out how to edit later parts to comply with the rules and still maintain some sense of the plotlines.

One Piece is no worse than DBZ was (characters' heads getting blown off, bodies being sliced in half, blood spilling everywhere, characters coughing up blood, a few "developed" women here and there, etc), and barely any of that was edited when it was on Toonami. I can see Nick showing One Piece mostly intact. Of course it's going to have editing, but it'll be more on the level of FUNimation's edited dub of the Skypea arc when that aired on Toonami.

Actually, there were many things 4Kids did NOT need to change (English writing on signs, music, dialogue, etc). I believe 4Kids dropped One Piece for several possible reasons. They technically never intended on licensing the show in the first place. It was a part of a package of shows they had gotten that were made up of top kids shows in Japan. They admit to not even previewing the show before they licensed it, and also admit that they quickly realized that the show was NOT fit for their demographic, but decided to market it as a fun kids' show before their license expired. I guess they decided to run with the show, that's why a lot of OP merchandise came out of the deal. I guess the merch wasn't selling, it was to expensive to keep the show, and it was a long one, so they dropped it along with Pokemon and Mew Mew Power (Tom Wayland admitted to me that MMP was dropped because the merchandise deal didn't go through).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Primus wrote:

It is produced by Marathon, haha. But Marathon is actually a French company, who does the English audio work in Canada.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm surprised, more especially since I think Canada even subsidizes/gives preferences to anything Canadian (co)produced too. Laughing

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
so they dropped it along with Pokemon and Mew Mew Power

Pokemon wasn't dropped - it was taken away from them so Nintendo of America could produce it themselves. Obviously, Pokemon merchandise keep selling.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
The style here doesn't seem to be that of Marathon's productions. It's merchandise-oriented and derivative of other kids' shows centered around merchandise, but the character design there looks genuinely Japanese rather than the "animesque" that Marathon tends to do.

I just hope it doesn't get carried away with the angry veins, giant sweat drops, the ^_^ faces, face faults, and OTPs. That we don't see NEARLY as many shows now that do this leads me to believe even the writers and directors are getting tired of that.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
One Piece is no worse than DBZ was (characters' heads getting blown off, bodies being sliced in half, blood spilling everywhere, characters coughing up blood, a few "developed" women here and there, etc), and barely any of that was edited when it was on Toonami. I can see Nick showing One Piece mostly intact. Of course it's going to have editing, but it'll be more on the level of FUNimation's edited dub of the Skypea arc when that aired on Toonami.

If that's the case, then I hope it would actually be like that. I would love to find One Piece on TV, since it's a series best suited for that.

That being said, it'd need to be at the right time. I know Saturday morning broadcast (which is dying out) is the strictest moment for Standards & Practices, so Naruto Shippuden on Disney XD and One Piece on Cartoon Network were shown during the transition to watershed hours, where they can actually show blood and mention death. If anything, it should be there.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol I thought 4Kids dropped Pokemon and Pokemon USA took over future episodes similar to how DiC dropped Sailor Moon and Toei USA (then called Cloverway) picked up from where they left off.

@leafy sea dragon
Well, DBZ was HEAVILY censored when it was on KidsWB back when Saban handled it with FUNimation. Toonami's broadcast was FAR less edited, and was broadcast weekday afternoons around 3:00pm-7:00pm. Both broadcasts were TV-Y7. FUNi's lightly edited version of the Skypea arc of One Piece sometimes got a TV-Y7 rating (though it was TV-PG once in a while), and I think kids' tv has become more relaxed in recent years with TV-PG becoming a much more common rating, so I don't think much overt censorship is needed as you may think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3