• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime,The Power Rangers and Saban:Culture Shock 101

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinjaJack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
NinjaJack here, I`m a newbie poster but I`ve read the stories and articles here on and off since 99. I`m a Rangerfan or as I like to call it a Giant Killer. Go ahead and laugh if you want, but PR fans make up a large part of the anime fandom(look there goes one now! OMG HE`S RIGHT BEHIND YOU)

In case you didn't know PR and it's genre known as "Henshin" has been around for many decades.

One of the fathers of Henshin is a founding father of anime aswell, Mr.Shohtaroh Ishinomori. One of his most note worthy shows was Kamen Rider
which propelled the idea of a transforming hero that prior had been mostly limited to the Ultraman series

I could go on about his other works but thats left best to the folks at Japan Hero
Ishinomori-San's popular with children was Sentai, which would later become known as "Super" Sentai during Toei and Marvel's brief romance. It wasn't long after this love affair ended in the mid 80's that a new man showed up in Toei's life, Haim Saban.

We all know the story, Saban starts out with a few choice animes from Asia untill he lands Power Rangers and the fur really starts to fly. But it's come to attention that the 15 Billion dollar anime industry of today would not be where it is without the billion dollar PR franchise.

I know you're either screaming bloody murder or ROFL, but it seems true to me. When Saban bought PR and it hit, it hit hard. So hard that Saban brought over Dragon Ball Z and other henshin animes. Although these were badly dubbed the fact remained that PR had caused a surge in intrests in Asian action entertainment.

Sailor Moon recently ennjoyed a frolic in live action, but what you probably didn't know is that this was supposed to be her NATURAL eviroment. Originally Naoko Takeuchi approached Toei in the early eighties with an all female ideao f Inshinomori sentai series. And although Toei waited till after the succesful anime series to make the resulting Pretty Soldier, her dream of an all girl sentai team remained throughout the series.
*jumps into Mazinger Z*
I should note that even the giant robo genre has roots with henshin

And let it be noted quite clearly:
Super Sentai proceeds Voltron.

But back to the subject
Gatchman,Skullman, Cutey Honey Evangelion and Saint Seiya all are some of the most noteworthy animes ever crafted. But they all have roots in the Henshin genre. The interest in these shows or the fact that networks play them owes a alot of respect to Tommy,Jason, Trini, Kimberly, Billy and Zack.

~Of course without The Transformers PR wouldn't be where it is here in the west, but thats for another topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, but I worship Shotaro Ishinomori. The man was an inovator and great story teller. I wish I had his stuff when I was a kid. Much more satsifying than X-Men or whatever else I was reading. I really want to read the original Skull Man, Kamen Rider, etc. so I hope they bring those over soon. Also gotta say I love the live action Kikaider. You can order subbed over the internet. Its distributed by a company head-quartered in Hawaii.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
NinjaJack wrote:

Sailor Moon recently ennjoyed a frolic in live action, but what you probably didn't know is that this was supposed to be her NATURAL eviroment. Originally Naoko Takeuchi approached Toei in the early eighties with an all female ideao f Inshinomori sentai series. And although Toei waited till after the succesful anime series to make the resulting Pretty Soldier, her dream of an all girl sentai team remained throughout the series.

Early 1980s? Uhh... does Toei routinely listen to show ideas from junior high school-aged girls, because Naoko Takeuchi was born in 1967?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NinjaJack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I think you're right. I think it might have been later but sometime prior to Sailor V in 91.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:39 am Reply with quote
I don't give Saban any once of credit whatsoever, this guy butchered JUranger, Kamer Rider and even Gatchaman ("Eagle riders" WTF is that sh..?) I won't even go there with DBZ.
Sure he made a huge profit when it came to exporting (exploiting) such Japanese tv series to the states..but only to butcher the original content,hence "kiddification" he should've adhered tot he golden rule; "whatever ain't broke, don't "F" with it."
Saban in any shape or form did not really contribute to
the Anime boon in America. Henshin's stuff, certainly.
I would give props to Carl Macek moreso than Saban. (atleast most of the origina content used for his compilation known as Robotech was pretty much left intact regardless of the forced edits.)

I would give Trini Thuy her props but unfortunetley, she's dead.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:32 am Reply with quote
Here is the story I heard about Takeuchi-sensei, sentai, and Sailor Moon. Yes, she did Sailor V in 1991 (a year later, both the sailor moon manga and anime came out a month apart from each other). She had the conract to do a Sailor V anime. But because of the nature behind it, the anime producers wanted it changed to give it a sentai feeling. Takeuchi-sensei before has said she is a sentai fan and was able to make the series that way. In a way, the Sailor Moon live action is pretty much meant to be the way it is.

Speaking of Saban, he wanted to make his own Sailor Moon. It was going to be a mix of live action and anime. Well, it wasn't going to anime footage, it was just that they would have new animation and it just looked stupid because of everything. Especailly the PC crap that Saban puts in (no offense to anyone, but I DESPISE political correctness).

http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/download/sailormoon.php
Find the Saban nightmare and you'll get a preview
By the way, if you get traumatized or sick or go crazy, I am not responsible. For any negative effects, please sue the crap out of Saban.

Plus, he gave DBZ stupid lines like "I'LL SEND YOU TO THE NEXT DIMENSION!!!" Whoever made that up should get shot in a drive by.

The Ginyuu Squad was also based off Sentai.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would give Trini Thuy her props...

The Yellow ranger?
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's her, but she died in a car accident like 5 years ago in San Fran.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:52 am Reply with quote
Surprisingly,there are few Anime versions of Power Ranger style characters. (Shinesman comes to mind.)
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
The hottest one was the pink ranger with the Australian accent. I believe her name was Kat.
NinjaJack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Surprisingly,there are few Anime versions of Power Ranger style characters. (Shinesman comes to mind.)

Not so
You're right to some extant, but theres more than a few.
Japan hero has a wide assortment of the heroes who fight as a team with their robos or on foot with in their colored uniforms.
One could say shows like Yu Yu Hakushou uses the color coded team format, even the Toon-Anime Teen Titan show creator said that the show was really inspired by not only the comics but the orginal MMPR.

As I mentioned before look at Cutie honey and Eva. Cutie is a bit more mature than most sentai or henshin shows, but she follows the henshin rule that is to change and battle.
I wish I had Jeff or JC here to explain a bit more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1