• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cardcaptors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baka...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Me and my friend were talking about the card captor sakura series. Supposedly their is supposed to be the Actual Card captor series with the same characters. Another question if buying from
www.[This URL is a known Bootlegging website] are the series their OVA judged on their covers. And sent striaght from japan?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Baka, check your post again. The website in your post has been replaced with [This URL is a known Bootlegging website], meaning that what you've seen on that site is most likely to be a bootleg, NOT genuine R2.

I just don't understand why would someone name himself "Baka." Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
If you're in Canada, just get the legitimate unexpurgated version of Cardcaptor Sakura from DVD Box Office.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Baka... wrote:
Me and my friend were talking about the card captor sakura series. Supposedly their is supposed to be the Actual Card captor series with the same characters.

Yes, it's out there, and here's the info: Cardcaptor Sakura (TV)

I believe that Geneon Entertainment (formerly Pioneer Entertainment) does distribute it in both the U.S. and Canada, so you might want to check with them for buying a copy.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:

I believe that Geneon Entertainment (formerly Pioneer Entertainment) does distribute it in both the U.S. and Canada, so you might want to check with them for buying a copy.

Also,you should know that the dvd's come subtitled only. The tv release was done as a dub so they decided not to do a seperate dub for the unedited version. If you've never seen the unedited version, you'll be in for quite a surprise when you see how much more to the storyline there is!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:15 am Reply with quote
Except for the second movie! Razz
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:39 am Reply with quote
The first movie has both Japanese and English tracks with the English V.A.'s being th esame as used in the edited version. Although there are no cuts per se in the dub, they change around the plot pretty significantly. Among other things they replace one of Kiiro's funniest lines, replacing it with a much less inspired joke. They also try to make the villian more of a stereotypical badguy. In one scene Sakura discovers a pivotal fact about the villian, but in the bastardized version that scene makes no sense whatsoever. Rolling Eyes
Karosu-chan3204

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:36 am Reply with quote
Well we cant see it unless we buy it.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Although there are no cuts per se in the dub, they change around the plot pretty significantly.

Actually, I found the first movie a lot of fun, when you turn on the English dub track along with the Japanese subtitles.

It's as if the English was a foreign language. (For example, spoiler[when they are on the boat in Hong Kong, when Sakura sees a seagull, the English VO says "This is great! I'm having such a good time!", while the subtiltling says: "Seagull! Seagull! Seagull!" Laughing ]

That's how much the original story was altered in the dub.

(Reminded me of what Wierd Al Yankovic said once, "I could only change the words ... I couldn't change the music, too.")
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that quote was in the song Couch Potato using Eminem's lyrics. (I have an AMV using that song)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Baka...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Baka, check your post again. The website in your post has been replaced with [This URL is a known Bootlegging website], meaning that what you've seen on that site is most likely to be a bootleg, NOT genuine R2.

I just don't understand why would someone name himself "Baka." Laughing

Lol i dunna i like the word baka. it just sounds cool plus. I had no clue it was a bootleg site my friends bought from there and it seemed genuine.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:03 am Reply with quote
I always watch the English track with the subtitles up when possible & it's amazing how often the lines get changed-sometimes with no logical reason.
Cardcaptors is the name for the hightly edited version of CCS. Like Knights of the Zodiac/Saint Seiya.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember I posted a comparison, asking fans if they thought because of the usage of cards (and the cards coming to life) that Cardcaptors (which was edited to appease boys) was a shounen version of Yu-Gi-Oh!: I didn't, a friend did. I nearly got flamed off the boards. When an board higherup posted, I GOT flak for posting it. Some people get A LITTLE ANGRY over what Nelvana did to CCS. BTW what do you think?
Lyra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:39 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Except for the second movie! Razz

I didn't know there were two movies! I've only seen the first one I think... Where Sakura and Madison go to Hong Kong?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Lyra wrote:
I didn't know there were two movies! I've only seen the first one I think... Where Sakura and Madison go to Hong Kong?

Madison??? Shocked Anime dazed *shivers*

The Frankman wrote:
I remember I posted a comparison, asking fans if they thought because of the usage of cards (and the cards coming to life) that Cardcaptors (which was edited to appease boys) was a shounen version of Yu-Gi-Oh!

CCS is an archetypical example of shoujo (mahou shoujo, at that) and Yu-Gi-Oh! is an archetypical example of shounen. That someone could possibly see Cardcaptors as a shounen version of Yu-Gi-Oh!... that's just wrong beyond words. It just goes to show how much Nelvana changed the show. Or maybe it just goes to show how little people understand the word "shounen".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2