• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga for younger readers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Just thought with the thread saying what youngsters shoudn't get their hands on we should also have one that says what they can (thanks Lianncoop for the help!).

For my own recomendation I would say ... Cyborg 009! A great way to introduce smaller children to the horrors of war.

Last edited by Alchemist449 on Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
Just thought with the thread saying what youngsters shoudn't get their hands on we should also have one that says what they can (thanks Lianncoop for the help!).

No problem, but I think if you want to generate discussion, you should contribute your own choices and reasons as to what manga would be good for younger readers.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Crayon Shinchan! Ok, maybe not in America, as I'm sure many parents would die at the sight of Shinchan drawing an elephant in his groin area, but its still a hilarious manga that could appeal to both kids and adults. Plus, the fact that Comicsone has "americanized" it (replaced Japanese references with American ones) actually helps it.
I'd say the same thing about Gon, but I'm sure alot of parents wouldn't like the violence towards the predetors.
I guess I can't think of anything else at the moment.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I was at the library and saw a boy asking about Dragonball mangas. The librarian said they were all checked out so she handed the 11-year-old a volume of Ranma instead.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
I was at the library and saw a boy asking about Dragonball mangas. The librarian said they were all checked out so she handed the 11-year-old a volume of Ranma instead.

You say that like it's a problem? Why?

My own boys read Ranma½ as well as Dragonball - well, the older one (8 next month) reads. The younger is still too young (5) to read, but his brother sometimes reads aloud - and sometimes I do.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cboudreau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what is meant by "younger" readers, so I'm going to assume pre-teen and younger. There are many quality manga for kids this age-- off the top of my head, I'd suggest One Piece, Jing: King of Bandits, Astro Boy, Naruto and even Dragonball Z, though I'm not a fan of this last series.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll be the first to suggest some manga for younger girls, like Cardcaptor Sakura, Miracle Girls, and Saint Tail. Cardcaptor Sakura (I'm sure most manga fans are already familiar with this) has some very sweet themes about gaining courage, trusting your friends, first love, etc., plus lots of gorgeous costumes for the heroine that would appeal to younger readers (and older ones too!). I'll admit that the CCS manga does feature a few implied gay couples, which some parents may feel their kids aren't ready to read about yet. However, I think that most of these relationships are so vaguely depicted that they'll probably go over the heads of younger readers.

Saint Tail and Miracle Girls aren't nearly as good as CCS, although like CCS they are about girls with magic powers. Their one strong point is that they contain practically nothing offensive to anyone- 7 year olds who can read manga should be fine with these two titles.
HunterJumper197

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think the only reason that some people might think Ranma 1/2 is not suitible for younger readers is the nudity. The main times whern there is nudity is when Ranma turns into a girl when he is not wearing a shirt, or when another characther changes from animal to human form. There aren't really any adult themes that go along with the nudity, i mean the main charachters don't even kiss, but i think it would still distress most american parents to see their children reading a picture book with naked women in it...
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a parent, but I think I would agree with abunai that there really isn't anything inappropriate with Ranma. The nudity is for fun and the gender-bending aspect is very silly, not risque. It was intended for boy when it was originally published in Japan, but alot of Americans tend to take nudity too seriously.
Oh, and I agree that Astro Boy is a perfect title for younger readers. It's fun to read, and at the same time has some serious parts to it.
HunterJumper197

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I think Azumanga would be good for all ages, younger readers and older readers. I loved it, it was really funny, and there was really nothing that could be considered inappropriate for younger readers. The worst things that happen would be one of the characters complaining that her breasts are smaller then another’s, and a slightly perverted, but very funny, male teacher who likes to see the girls in their gym shorts.
ames_909

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I would also recommend Magic Knight Rayearth and Angelic Layer. Magic Knight Rayearth, as implied by the title, has a magical theme to it, and is about three young girls who are transported back in time, where they have to overcome many obstacles and fight various villains.

I'm not too familiar with Angelic Layer, but I hear it's similar to manga/anime like Pokemon and Dragon Drive (another manga suitable for kids), in which people battle in an electronic game with dolls called 'angels'. The storyline revolves around how the protagonist has to fight her way up in various tournaments in order to compete with the best of them. In a way, it's very much like a female version of Pokemon.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:49 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
molloaggie wrote:

You say that like it's a problem? Why?

My own boys read Ranma½ as well as Dragonball - well, the older one (8 next month) reads. The younger is still too young (5) to read, but his brother sometimes reads aloud - and sometimes I do.

- abunai

Well, your son is still very young and probably doesn't care about topless people. However, when they're 11 and they can't even see a model in the Sears circular without blushing, you might change your mind.

Also, your kids are at that age when you can control the stuff they see still. When they get a bit older and they do an internet search for Ranma, you know can't control what they see anymore. As fun as the author makes it, everybody else has turned girl-Ranma into a playboy bunny. That's not a fun issue to deal with. Good luck.
xluvskyx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd say from Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Pretear it's prefect, Kodocha!,and Inuyasha. As a teen I'm into Peach Girl now and D.N.Angel.
It different for what age and taste in reading.
HunterJumper197

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha might be a bit bloody for really young readers.
ames_909

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:20 am Reply with quote
HunterJumper197 wrote:
Inuyasha might be a bit bloody for really young readers.

I agree. Aside from being more bloody and violent, I think there's a reason it's rated for "Teens" by Viz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2