• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lexicon: OST

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The music used in a show. This includes background music, mood music, and opening and ending theme music. For longer TV series, there is often too much music to release on a single media (CD), so several OSTs will be released often called, or referred to as, OST1, OST2, and so on...

Typically, shows only use a portion of any particular piece of music, however the OST generally will contain the entire piece, giving fans an opportunity to listen to the music in its entirety.

Often times a show only uses a portion of a song, a typical song lasts 3 to 5 minutes, however the a show might only need to use 60 seconds of that, the OST release offers people a chance to hear the entire songs.

I just whipped this one up, but I'm not particularly happy with the phrase "portion of any particular piece" but that's beside the point of this post...

I don't actually collect or extensively listen to OSTs, someone was just telling me that they typically contain half of a piece of music, not the entire piece.

Any comments on this?

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:43 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I don't actually colelct or extensively listen to OSTs, someone was just telling me that they typicly contain half of a piece of music, not the entire piece.

A typical OP / ED theme for a half hour TV series is 90 seconds, so most songs have to be cut short. A full length J-Pop song may sound like this:

Prelude
A
A'
B
C
Interlude
A'
C'
Coda

An OP / ED theme may consist a shorter prelude, A', B, and C, in order to fit in the 90 seconds slot. I'd like to suggest adding "due to time restrictions" between "Typically" and "shows only use...."

In addition, I'd like to add some information about "Image Album," the music composed on the basis of screenplay, way before anime production begins. The composer read through the outline of the story, and compose the music based on his / her feeling and imagination (sort of like Character Conceptual Design). Many scores of Image Album will be incorporated into OST after being revised to match the animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The music used in a show. This includes background music, mood music, and opening and ending theme music. For longer TV series, there is often too much music to release on a single media (CD), so several OSTs will be released often called, or referred to as, OST1, OST2, and so on...

Typically, due to time restrictions, shows only use a portion of any particular piece of music, however the OST generally will contain the entire piece, giving fans an opportunity to listen to the music in its entirety.

Image Albums contain music composed on the basis of screenplay, long before anime production begins. The composer reads through the outline of the story, and composes music based on his / her feeling and imagination. Many scores from Image Albums will be incorporated into OST after being revised to match the animation.

Anime OSTs and Image Albums have long been very heavilly bootlegged. Up until recently, very few OSTs were licensed in North America, and imports from Japan are quite expensive. Demand, resulting from the growing popularity of anime, and the lack of a legitimate, affordable supply, resulted in a market that was very attractive and open to bootlegging. Even now (2004) the majority of anime OSTs are not licensed in North America and illegal copies of the Japanese OST releases continue to be widely available.

I'd like to suggest that the "buyer beware" but the lexicon is no place for editorial Sad

-t
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Just a small suggestion: Could you put (BGM) after background music in the second line? It's a fairly common abbreviation and might help those that don't know what BGM means without giving it its own entry.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Just a small suggestion: Could you put (BGM) after background music in the second line? It's a fairly common abbreviation and might help those that don't know what BGM means without giving it its own entry.

Right, and could we also please make mention of incidental music (IM)? Hmm...I've seen IM called "featured songs", too - but that's not really common.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:36 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
tempest wrote:
I don't actually colelct or extensively listen to OSTs, someone was just telling me that they typicly contain half of a piece of music, not the entire piece.

A typical OP / ED theme for a half hour TV series is 90 seconds, so most songs have to be cut short.

Some OSTs contain what are usually called "TV size" cuts of the opening and ending. Most of them contain the full size, but depending on the artist and company, they sometimes don't even include certain songs (like L'Arc~en~ciel's openings and endings, I haven't heard them on an anime OST yet).

And for a majority of OSTs, background music (BGM) is just about always played in it's entirety, though to save time, they occasionally cut that short as well, pending on the repition of melodies or specific composition matters or whatever.

Aside from the opening and closing songs though, you can pretty much expect full length BGM on a lot of OSTs.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Right, and could we also please make mention of incidental music (IM)? Hmm...I've seen IM called "featured songs", too - but that's not really common.

- abunai

Hmm, I'm actually not familiar with IMs myself. Would this be music that is featured on a soundtrack without actually being in a show or movie? Or are these like the bonus albums that are made solely for the show without actually being in the show, like the Ranma 1/2 Song Calendar and what not?

Emerje
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Hmm, I'm actually not familiar with IMs myself. Would this be music that is featured on a soundtrack without actually being in a show or movie? Or are these like the bonus albums that are made solely for the show without actually being in the show, like the Ranma 1/2 Song Calendar and what not?

Emerje

Nope. Incidental music is... hmm... well, it's like an OP or an ED, in that it is a "complete" song (even if it's excerpted for a TV size version, as opposed to the full-length version). However, what makes it IM is that it isn't used to open or close the show, but occurs within the anime. Not on an image abum, or as bonus album, or as omake - incidental music is given air time, just like OPs and EDs.

Let's see... a good example would be the music of .hack//SIGN, or of Madlax. Both of these anime have plenty of incidental music. For a specific example, let me point to one of my favourite IMs - namely Key's Lullaby from Key the Metal Idol. That is a full song, it occurs twice within the anime, and it's never used as OP or ED. Hence, it's incidental music.

- abunai
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
You mean insert songs? That's what I call them, anyway. Yes, .hack//SIGN is full of them. I like to categorize this more as a vocal piece that one can hear during the course of an episode, rather than comparing them to full version opening and ending theme songs.

But to add on to what you're saying, abunai, "insert" songs that I can point out from //SIGN include:

"Key of the Twilight"
"Fake Wings"
"Aura"
"Open Your Heart"
(etc.)

Songs of that nature, right?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
You mean insert songs? That's what I call them, anyway. Yes, .hack//SIGN is full of them. I like to categorize this more as a vocal piece that one can hear during the course of an episode, rather than comparing them to full version opening and ending theme songs.

But to add on to what you're saying, abunai, "insert" songs that I can point out from //SIGN include:

"Key of the Twilight"
"Fake Wings"
"Aura"
"Open Your Heart"
(etc.)

Songs of that nature, right?

That's exactly what I meant.

It really doesn't matter whether we call them one or the other ("incidental music", "insert songs", "featured songs" or whatever), just so long as we agree on an acceptable abbreviation for the term, to match OP and ED and BGM. That being the case, I've actually seen the IM abbreviation in use on many occasions, so I suggest that we stick with that one, unless you know of a common usage for abbreviating "insert songs".

-abunai
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:20 pm Reply with quote
OK, I get what you mean now. I had no idea there was a seperate name for them, though.

Emerje
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The music used in a show. This includes background music, mood music, incidental music and opening and ending theme music. For longer TV series, there is often too much music to release on a single media (CD), so several OSTs will be released often called, or referred to as, OST1, OST2, and so on...

Typically, due to time restrictions, shows only use a portion of any particular piece of music, however the OST generally will contain the entire piece, giving fans an opportunity to listen to the music in its entirety.

There are however exceptiosn, some OSTs only contain "TV-size potions" of the music, and some OSTs don't contain certain pieces of music, including on occasion, the theme songs. Lack of the theme song generally has to do with licensing restrictions.

Image Albums contain music composed on the basis of screenplay, long before anime production begins. The composer reads through the outline of the story, and composes music based on his / her feeling and imagination. Many scores from Image Albums will be incorporated into OST after being revised to match the animation.

Anime OSTs and Image Albums have long been very heavilly bootlegged. Up until recently, very few OSTs were licensed in North America, and imports from Japan are quite expensive. Demand, resulting from the growing popularity of anime, and the lack of a legitimate, affordable supply, resulted in a market that was very attractive and open to bootlegging. Even now (2004) the majority of anime OSTs are not licensed in North America and illegal copies of the Japanese OST releases continue to be widely available.

Theme Music: Insertt definition here

Background Music (BGM): Insertt definition here

Incidental Music (IM): Insertt definition here

Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
It really doesn't matter whether we call them one or the other ("incidental music", "insert songs", "featured songs" or whatever), just so long as we agree on an acceptable abbreviation for the term, to match OP and ED and BGM. That being the case, I've actually seen the IM abbreviation in use on many occasions, so I suggest that we stick with that one, unless you know of a common usage for abbreviating "insert songs".

What exactly would be the difference between IM and BGM?

I take it the IM is more "featured" , and not just something that happens in the background?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I take it the IM is more "featured" , and not just something that happens in the background?

Well, if you want to go by the definition I gave for Incidental/Insert Music, I guess you could say it's more featured than BGM. A majority of IM is usually vocal or lyrical, whereas most BGM is just instrumental.

From my experiences, IM pieces are also usually themed to specific characters or events, but so are BGM pieces. In most cases though, I would say IM seems to carry a higher value because there isn't as much of it as BGM. (Hope that makes sense..)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
tempest wrote:

Well, if you want to go by the definition I gave for Incidental/Insert Music, I guess you could say it's more featured than BGM. A majority of IM is usually vocal or lyrical, whereas most BGM is just instrumental.

How about just call them "Insert Songs (IS)" to avoid confusion?

BGM is credited to "Music" composer(s), but many OP, ED, and IS are composed and performed by different person(s).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2