• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Getbackers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:07 pm Reply with quote
anyone seen this cartoon? i've been watching a lot of episodes of this lately, and it's pretty cool.
Omnez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:25 pm Reply with quote
whats it like?
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:00 pm Reply with quote
It's made off a manga, and is basically a buddy action-comedy of the Gunsmith Cats/Fake/countless Hollywood movies with Mel Gibson in them mold. Or a less angsty version of Weiss Kreuz, but without the tangled web of character interactions. So far, anyways - I've only seen the first couple of episodes.

Just take an older, more experienced, cooler-headed character and his younger and much more zealous partner, give them rather cool superpowers (a 200-kg. grip in one case and the ability to make an opponent see his nightmares in the other), and set them to solve various major and minor crimes and problems in the Big City.

It's enjoyable, but very obviously directed primarily at fangirls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Omnez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:00 pm Reply with quote
hmm sounds pretty cool
Hisoka316

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I love GetBackers, its turning out to be really good. I'm up to episode 13 and its by far the funniest I've seen in quite a while. If it continues like it is, Its good be a great one definetally the america public will see this in the near future.
ganzo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
It is a good one, I got very addicted to show, though it was quite long and I do hate watch anime over 20 something episode, I am surprised to find that I did not get bored at any of the episodes, yet there are episodes better than others.

I liked the way they make it go light and funny while still maintaining a serious and complex plot(not always). When the poison girl and the knife guy come out, it was kind of the climax of the show, but the rest didn't go downhill either.
kashino kira

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
me! me! love ginji-kun and ban-chan! i used to see it in animax and was also shown locally, but i haven't seen all of it, i'm still planning on getting a copy of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Season 2 was pretty dark.
Daimonwrath

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:02 am Reply with quote
I usually dont reply to these type of questions but this is one of my favs. (Yes I've seen all 49 eps. )

I copied this summary from animenfo.com :

Ban Mido and Ginji Amano, is known as the "GetBackers" who's motto is "If it's stolen, we can steal it back!". And the GetBackers success rate is always 100%.

Always waiting around the Honky Tonk, clients call in to ask the GetBackers to retrieve something for them. And so, Ban and Ginji goes through many weird and bizarre cases as they set forth to "get back" the belongings...

-So in short this show has a very good drawn out telling of different characters with a connection to the main characters a lot of time dealing with their past.

Prepare for flashbacks because there are a lot of them throughout the storyline. The action usually plays out kinda like a video game so and so versus so and so but Ginji is more reluctant to fight than Mido Ban is which makes for interesting scenarios because neither main characters are weak.

Even the side stories are fairly interesting though there were some back stories that were left hanging which I assume the manga covers more indepth...

D.W.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
elniro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:31 am Reply with quote
It's been on my wish list for quite some time, when it's released in UK in few days time i'll probably go buy if after my exams
Encognito

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
yea getbackers kicks ass. I've been watching on anime network latley, its pretty cool i recomend to any anime fan.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It's an enjoyable show, all right, and things later on get pretty serious, even a little mind-bending - very different from early episodes that, in many cases, can pretty much stand alone. The characters introduced over the course of the first dozen or so chapters DO play significant parts in what happens later, fyi.

The only thing I wished was different about the series is that it hadn't waited until more than halfway through to explain the HUGE backstory going on.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The first couple of episode was okay only. I have to see more of it as the DVD are coming out.

The setup seem the same, someone lose something precious to them. They explain it teh Get backers (sob story that's suppose to touch you), but over times the formula becomes too generitc. The Evil eye power is kind of wacky because I can't understand the logic behind it or than did you see your dream crap. Also I'm not sure if later episode show how they get these power. Plus Ban has super human strength, can't he use it to make money any other way than to "get back" stuff. Well those are just some of the stuff that's annoying.

It's an okay anime so far, kind of episodic in nature, but like others have said, it get serious later on.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ganzo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
aha so people start to say something about this, no kidding, this is a show that rocked, that song in the beginning was so weird when first listen to it, then you get a feel of it, and those characters are so well designed. The story, the fun, the action, its all there. Are those two main guys gay? I seen wallpaper that resemble some queerness, and then I think back to the story those two guys are kind of weird where the blond one doesn't like the fire girl and the the snake eye doesn't like the poison girl, and then of course they are partners, yea, they are, I guess.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
There are some questionalable gay moment, but that only depend on the view that our americn society create. I seen a lot of japanese drama that can show really close buddy without being gay. But yea, at times Ban and Ginji seem more into thier buddy relationship than the hot girls around them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2