• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Megumi Hayashibara

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
I love the songs she's done for various anime she's been in. Now, I wanna know just how similar is her solo stuff to her anime stuff? I'm hesitant to get any J-pop, even something by her, cos of that scary "pop" in the word. But if her stuff is similar to the anime music, It may be worth it.

Also, where can I find her CDs without having to pay extravagant import prices?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The thing about anime music and J-pop though is that they're kind of the same thing, at least from what I've heard between a few songs from each category.

A lot of anime songs are predicated on that style of music; lots of upbeat tempos, synthesized instruments, and "fun" (or whatever word you want to use) melodies. It just depends on the particular artist and who they work with.

I'm not too familiar with non-anime music and the only artists I really listen to outside of anime music are Do As Infinity, Maaya Sakamoto, The Pillows, and m-flo.

The styles these artists do in anime (except m-flo) are pretty similar to their non-anime music, but I'm not too familiar with Mrs. Hayashibara's work, so don't go assuming anything just based on what I've said. Basically, if you want to, you can just take a chance.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Unfortunately no where (legally). None of her CDs have been released domesticly, so the only ones available are the imports...

-t
gnollman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:47 pm Reply with quote
EBay. Make sure you ask questions and check carefully to make sure they aren't bootlegs, though.

Gotta do your homework for eBay....
Lone Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
one of the few J pop artists I can listen to from start to finish and not get bored. Her music stands the test of time. This is coming from a guy who listens to mostly Hard Rock music. I heard a rumor that she sang for a power metal band in japan. If so i would to hear this being that i am a metalhead. Very Happy
Lone Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
one of the few J pop artists I can listen to from start to finish and not get bored. Her music stands the test of time. This is coming from a guy who listens to mostly Hard Rock music. I heard a rumor that she sang for a power metal band in japan. If so i would like to hear this being that i am a metalhead. Very Happy
JackBassV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Just watch her sing in Love Live Hina in Osaka: I'm in Love (pity we're both married Sad)

She works the audience superbly, and her smile........

Sumimasen, just drifted off there lol.

The Birthday of Rei Ayanami is a good album too.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Unfortunately no where (legally). None of her CDs have been released domesticly, so the only ones available are the imports...

-t

...unless you find one of those anime albums licensed by a U.S. company that has Hayashibara-san's voice predominantly in it (Slayers might be a good start).
Dilandau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
rektagunn wrote:
...unless you find one of those anime albums licensed by a U.S. company that has Hayashibara-san's voice predominantly in it (Slayers might be a good start).

"Blue Seed" has several solo performances as well. It seems like "Slayers Vox" had 3 or 4 solo songs by her...
Taruto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm not one for Megumi Hayashibara, her voice kinda annoys me. I dunno, I guess it's because she plays so many characters and sings so many themes for different series, but.. eh. *shrug*

Only song I really like by her is "Breeze" from Slayers Confused
BuffaloStyle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
I get most of my imports from CDJapan. For the most part, I find their prices to be quite reasonable.

BTW, dig that avatar JackBassV.
Osaka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote
I really liked her performance in Catgirl Nuku Nuku. She gave Nuku Nuku such a good voice that suited her personality and wasn't annoying because at times it got too high pitched or whiny, as some say when pointing out the negatives of a character.

She also did the OP and ED themes nicely, she's a talented seiyuu and singer in many of her roles being able to adapt to each character. Smile
JackBassV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:
I get most of my imports from CDJapan. For the most part, I find their prices to be quite reasonable.

I have a friend who goes to japan to visit family:-)

Wish I could take the credit for My Avatar. It was designed for a UK Evangelion Fanclub, which never started. The guy who designed it released it into the public domain, because it was too good to keep hidden. It's also the manufacturers Logo for my PC (I build them for fun!) The Support info reads
Quote:
If this Access Terminal Breaks then contact -
Dr Ritsuko Akagi NERV HQ Japan

Megumi is one of my favourite Japanese singers, along with Michie Tomizawa.

JBV^_^
nerei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Just saying that I'm REALLY in love with her!!! I think her voice's great, she has great taste (she happens to be the seiyuu for my favourite characters) and she is really very talented!!! This is one of those times when I wish that I'm a Japanese, so that there's at least a slight chance of bumping into her on the streets. *sigh* Too bad I'm not...
spider-moose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
if you are looking for imports try

www.amazon.co.jp

its in japanese but you can order CDs, DVDs, books and videos to import

and they usually have discounts, but has long as you can find what your luccky for you will save a bundle and everything I have order from them have NEVER gotten me custom fees/charges

which is why I always orders tons from it hehe Smile

*goes to listen to Animetal CDs* w00t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1