• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Deadman Wonderland, Steins;Gate, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
There's no legal stream of Qwaser 2, no. Just the dirty illegal fansubs.

To be fair, the manga is more graphic than the anime (you actually see Katja's nethers in all their glory in the manga, which Tokyopop kept) though the anime has far more fan-service in general.

I'd settle for a manga rescue at this point, since the second season is departing fairly well from the anime. Even the first season changed a lot of stuff near the end (the last 6 episodes or so never happened in the manga) But the anime is still enjoyable... Media Blasters could work too. I do hope they translate the picture dramas as well.. even though I can't imagine any American VA matching Katja-sama's personality perfectly.

I'll be buying BGHK just to support the more 'questionable' titles in the West in hopes Qwaser can come here one day (not that BGHK is actually graphic or anything, but the premise alone gets people up in arms over it)
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
The reason nobody else is saying what you are is because what you said is both insane and full of your own personal feeling of the quality of R1 dubs and is in no way based on facts. Most fans know that Funi started many of the positive trends we enjoy today. Immediate and cheaper full season releases, the Blu-Ray push, Blu-Ray/DVD combos and free streaming of most of their shows.

Speaking of free streams, after tens second of research guess what I found? Sengoku Basara, for free, both dubbed and subbed on their site. But I bet your so stubborn that you can't disregard your hatred for Funi so visiting their site is out of the question. I have yet to see a R1 publisher as engaged with their fan base as Funimation has been, and I find myself confused every time some little troll feels the need to trash them. To me it sounds like you're a sub purist, so I don't understand why you're bitching about their dub work when they always give you the sub?[/quote]

I actually visit the Funi site quite often and do like their SUB of Basra, in fact I support all of the Simulcasts I'm interested in, and some of their DUBS, so wrong I'm NOT a purist. If you read some of my ancient posts you will see where I stand.

In my post I was speaking in totality. I've been a fan long enough to have followed Funimation since the DBZ days so I am well versed in their nonsensical insanity... (and my own, thank you very much) I am also talking about access as a whole so please hold the troll comments because I've got more Anime under my belt than most. Having a web site that only allows for limited access to calculated streams (because you are force feeding your product on a money starved constituency base) is HARDLY a boon. The streams are nothing more than trumped up advertisements for the DVD's and their network - they are not there because they are doing the fans a favor or because they care. It's free, but TV viewing access is limited and even their Youtube channel is nothing more than a long ass stream of ad spots. Sorry I like my technology - and my big TV so I want my Anime there and not on my computer. Funimation has created a business scenario that is worthy of a lawsuit if the fans were awake enough to see it. But that's just my Business degree talking...

Not actually bitching about the dubs so much as making a point that Funi's current business model is based on forcing their "vision" of what Anime should be in America - they've been stuck on this spin cycle for years and from my point of view it's what's killed Anime distro in this country. I know there are other arguments which is why I invited conversation about my post and not insults directed at someone you pass off as a troll just for cracking jokes in their post. You travel anywhere outside of the US and the Anime market is still niche, but thriving, and those countries have their own equally BAD dubs that the fans watch on TV because the real thing is readily available for rent etc... Again that's my passport talking...

Sorry, but I am a bit of a fresh kid when it comes to the level of silly you find in the forums these days. Real talk is passed off as coming from purists or trolls and happy fantasy about how great dubs are in comparison to some ancient time is accepted as the "norm" which is why Funimation is walking all over the fandom and forcing half assed products down our throats. Again let me clarify - I don't dislike Anime fans I dislike their complacency. I also don't hate Funimation, but I do DISLIKE their business model and the way they treat the fans like garbage. Take a look at Viz and their evolution from an indie distro company (yep like ADV they were once coughcoughcoughfansubberscoughcough) to a business that understands what their constituents want and gives it to them at the cost of shaky revenue and employees.

Licensing a product just to restrict access isn't doing the fans a service it's protecting the interests of your corporate partners. Suing some poor farm kids in idaho for watching a fansub isn't protecting copywrite for the poor starved Japanese artists, it's showing off how powerful you are in comparison to the poor kids that can't afford your DVD's and just want to watch something they like to lift their spirits. I don't like forum discussions because voice tone and facial expressions can't be gauged so you can't tell that I am being fairly level headed about this because I recognize your side of the argument as well.
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
The implication that [Viz is more fan friendly than Funimation] is absolutely absurd.

Oh I know Viz has their faults, but in comparison... I really take issue to the way Funimation treats the fans like garbage and throw their weight around like a drug dealer might with their clients. Yes you have something "we" want, but there is a middle ground.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Sakurachan1 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
The implication that [Viz is more fan friendly than Funimation] is absolutely absurd.

Oh I know Viz has their faults, but in comparison... I really take issue to the way Funimation treats the fans like garbage and throw their weight around like a drug dealer might with their clients. Yes you have something "we" want, but there is a middle ground.

I think Funimation treats their fans fine. I mean are they perfect? No, they have their issues, but they are a lot better than Viz. Ask how many Monster fans how happy their are at Viz. I don't think you will get too many positive answers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
There's no legal stream of Qwaser 2, no. Just the dirty illegal fansubs.

Yeah, I knew that, but I just wanted to know if there was a dirty, illegal UNCENSORED fansub floating around via streaming as opposed to download.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
@ Sakurachan1:

So then how do you suggest Funimation change its business model and it's treatment towards its fans and consumers?

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Sakurachan1 wrote:
I actually visit the Funi site quite often and do like their SUB of Basra, in fact I support all of the Simulcasts I'm interested in, and some of their DUBS, so wrong I'm NOT a purist. If you read some of my ancient posts you will see where I stand.

In my post I was speaking in totality. I've been a fan long enough to have followed Funimation since the DBZ days so I am well versed in their nonsensical insanity... (and my own, thank you very much) I am also talking about access as a whole so please hold the troll comments because I've got more Anime under my belt than most. Having a web site that only allows for limited access to calculated streams (because you are force feeding your product on a money starved constituency base) is HARDLY a boon. The streams are nothing more than trumped up advertisements for the DVD's and their network - they are not there because they are doing the fans a favor or because they care. It's free, but TV viewing access is limited and even their Youtube channel is nothing more than a long ass stream of ad spots. Sorry I like my technology - and my big TV so I want my Anime there and not on my computer. Funimation has created a business scenario that is worthy of a lawsuit if the fans were awake enough to see it. But that's just my Business degree talking...

Not actually bitching about the dubs so much as making a point that Funi's current business model is based on forcing their "vision" of what Anime should be in America - they've been stuck on this spin cycle for years and from my point of view it's what's killed Anime distro in this country. I know there are other arguments which is why I invited conversation about my post and not insults directed at someone you pass off as a troll just for cracking jokes in their post. You travel anywhere outside of the US and the Anime market is still niche, but thriving, and those countries have their own equally BAD dubs that the fans watch on TV because the real thing is readily available for rent etc... Again that's my passport talking...

Sorry, but I am a bit of a fresh kid when it comes to the level of silly you find in the forums these days. Real talk is passed off as coming from purists or trolls and happy fantasy about how great dubs are in comparison to some ancient time is accepted as the "norm" which is why Funimation is walking all over the fandom and forcing half assed products down our throats. Again let me clarify - I don't dislike Anime fans I dislike their complacency. I also don't hate Funimation, but I do DISLIKE their business model and the way they treat the fans like garbage. Take a look at Viz and their evolution from an indie distro company (yep like ADV they were once coughcoughcoughfansubberscoughcough) to a business that understands what their constituents want and gives it to them at the cost of shaky revenue and employees.

Licensing a product just to restrict access isn't doing the fans a service it's protecting the interests of your corporate partners. Suing some poor farm kids in idaho for watching a fansub isn't protecting copywrite for the poor starved Japanese artists, it's showing off how powerful you are in comparison to the poor kids that can't afford your DVD's and just want to watch something they like to lift their spirits. I don't like forum discussions because voice tone and facial expressions can't be gauged so you can't tell that I am being fairly level headed about this because I recognize your side of the argument as well.
Okay, I admit to being a bit rude in my response to you but I've still don't understand what your beef is with Funi. And as others have said, to use Viz as a model that other distributors should strive to be like is laughable.

Their are many points that I still disagree with you but I see this as just going in circles, and like you I'd make rather debate people in person.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
As much as I liked Asobi ni Iku yo! I won't be lining Funimation's cooperate pockets with my money for this release.
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Okay, I admit to being a bit rude in my response to you but I've still don't understand what your beef is with Funi. And as others have said, to use Viz as a model that other distributors should strive to be like is laughable.

Their are many points that I still disagree with you but I see this as just going in circles, and like you I'd make rather debate people in person.[/quote]

Unfortunately, Viz is the only company you can use to compare... but I hear ya, they are far from perfect. I see the other side to this argument, and think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Strong opinions aside we all want the same thing in terms of access to the good shows.
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ Sakurachan1:

So then how do you suggest Funimation change its business model and it's treatment towards its fans and consumers?

My frustration is largely with the attitude that the average fan is somehow out there trolling for illegal fansubs and unwilling to pay for Anime.

I for one like legal streaming and don't mind paying for it - I've always said this and I've actually put my money where my mouth is by subscribing to Hullu and Crunchy after I updated my home entertainment systems & network. So contrary to some of the initial observations about my first post I'm not looking for free anything. It's also less of the you can never please me factor because I personally LOVE the way Funimation has handled FMA, but one perfect show is not enough. Licensing Anime cost money and as a fan I know that and I'm willing to reciprocate. For a long time now Funimation has been gobbling up every title they can get their hands on, only to turn around and put out a seemingly restricted access product. What I would love to see is a broader roll out of their streaming content - make everything available for Hulu plus or put together their own subscription based streaming product with NO DELAYS. - if it airs at 1pm in Japan it should be available at 3pm here in the US, no excuses, no exceptions. They have enough titles to do their own thing and most fans would opt in - Crunchy Roll works...period...I really think Funimation is in a position to really change the face of the industry if they stop and really think about what's not working with their current game plan and about what is working for other companies. If there is no value added for them to host their own streaming service then forge an exclusive partnership with Hulu or Youtube that will allow subscribers to access their product on those sites, but also allow them to maintain control of their properties. It's not as easy as it sounds, but it's possible. Trust me I'd love to be a member of their staff or on a focus group because I actually think listening to the fandom is the only way to keep the US Anime biz from completely tanking...

For me personally, I'm not really interested in DVD's anymore - not because I'm cheap, but because they take up way too much space and I live in a city dwelling. As a result I pay a lot of money for streaming content and Netflix - I also think that is where the entertainment business is going. Blue Ray is great don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of streaming content devices out or coming out, and I think there is a large faction of people moving towards storing their media files in the cloud or on dedicated hard-drives. Can you say iTunes...

In short I'd like to see them be innovators and stop wasting money and time prosecuting kids in the midwest for downloading an already inferior product. It makes them look like bullies and it's counterproductive. Idiots in Asia looking for a quick buck will always be around. If you provide the best alternative no one will even look at illegal options, and if they do, then they never had an interest in your product so don't waste resources that could be used to hold customer forums or marketing outreach on it. When Funi licensed DBZ and forged a partnership with CN they drove the move from an afternoon block of cartoons to what was the early Adult Swim. It wasn't perfect, and some fans are still hostile over that, but it was risky and innovative. I'll argue the Anime industry as we've enjoyed for the past few years would never have happened if it wasn't for Chris Sabbat grunting on TV every afternoon in the late 1990's... They weren't the only reason, but I think you get what I mean.

I hope I answered your question...
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
........Oh yeah. I think your response helped answer a LOT of things for me.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to more Baka Test! Glad to see that the OVAs are licensed too, hopefully those get bundled with the 2nd season.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I definitely want to check out Deadman Wonderland.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10