• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What would you give up for anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animedork2075

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering how extreme people are as to weather or not you would give up something you love for anime. If you havn't given something up what would you? Also add what got you into it in the first place. As for me I got rid of a girlfriend who was constntly trash talking me for it. Adult Swim in conjunction with a friend who had to show me what it was all about. If your partner isn't willing to support your hobbys then change them don't let them change you Exclamation
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Well you shouldn't push your hobbies on your significant other either.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I would sacrifice a little time and money, but that's it. Anime is just a hobby, something you watch to pass time or to entertain yourself. It's all fantasy. There are a lot more important things in the world, in my opinion.

Yes, it would be nice if your mate had the same interest, but if that's the only difference between the two of you, and if she actually is that special otherwise, then I'd glady give up anime for her instead.

Anime won't do what a person can. You can't rely on anime to always cheer you up or keep you in good spirits because of a story or group of characters you like so much. Yeah, it's good in small doses, but you'll burn out sooner or later.

I'd rather find the love of my life anyday than be alone forever watching anime. You'd be surprised at how much a really special person can change you. It's just up to you to realize whether she's worth it or not.
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I probably wouldn't give up anything, except a little more time to watch it. I definately wouldn't ditch my girlfriend for anime though.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
You shouldn't have to give up anime for a girl. Just do it when she's not around, if she really doesn't like it. If she makes you give it up she's probably just a big *****, and you have reached serious levels of wussiness by letting yourself be controled.
animedork2075

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Deffinately I am not that classless as to give up time with her. I have come to terms with the fact that either i'll run out of interesting stuff or burn out. The problem wasn't that I couldn't stop watchint to do things, A strong relationship would have been far better. Yet she wanted me to stop watching all together. and pretend around her friends I hadn't any interest at all. Among other minor things for being in the relationship only for a short while, it was brutally obvious I wasn't what she wanted so she was trying to mold me. now as for the other question I'm sure it has been asked before however I didn't see it If so can someone let me know where it is.
Thank You
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I would sacrifice a little time and money, but that's it. Anime is just a hobby, something you watch to pass time or to entertain yourself. It's all fantasy. There are a lot more important things in the world, in my opinion.

Same here.

I don't spend that much on anime and manga. I mostly watch anime on CN or VOD.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why her friends would have to know about it. I barely talk about anime to anyone other than my bro. You don't need to use it to identify yourself with. But if your girl told you to stop all together, than yea I see no problem droping her like a sack of potatoes.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Just in case any of you misunderstood me, let me rephrase my original statement. You shouldn't have to give up anime if your mate wants you to. But if the situation ever occurred to where I had to choose between spending more time with her or watching anime, I would personally choose my girlfriend.

If your mate doesn't particularly like anime, but also doesn't mind you watching it, then it's fine and dandy for her to understand that anime is simply a hobby for you. As said earlier though, if she's trying to force you against your will, then don't conform to what she wants.

Relationships should be about mutual happiness with a little compromise now and then, here and there, and if you're noticing that it will be more of a one-sided affair, chances are that person isn't right for you (unless you have some pyschological condition that drives you to do please her even at your own expense, regardless of how bad you may end up feeling at some point).
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
animedork2075 wrote:
If your partner isn't willing to support your hobbys then change them don't let them change you Exclamation

I agree completl. But my anime is more of a somthing that i dont really talk about to people in public...it seems to steer people away; Unless im in school in which there are alot of FLCL fans and Inuyasha fans.

My ex knew that i liked cartoons/anime but she didn't seem to care, she liked emo Rolling Eyes and i like punk/hardcore Twisted Evil ... so if the girl/guy cant accept what you like for entertainment then.... Confused

To answer this thread with "what i would give up"
i'd give up money, time, lover, maybee...my social life; which kinda sucks. And finally........thats it, i cant think of anything else.
animedork2075

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:48 pm Reply with quote
strange thing is she was into jock rock as well and I openly advertise that i'm into deathmetal, crust, and hardcore and that wasn't as much of an issue as my anime hoby thanks for your input and i'm looking forward to any opinion or response.
Innotech

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
ANime is a hobby that I enjoy quite a bit. I will not give it up for the sake of a relationship. A girl would have to accept the fact that I watch and collect it. IT could be far worse things that I could be collecting.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Well, in many ways i agree, it is a fantasy that is nothing but mere entertainment. but the reason people like these "fantasys"
is because it takes them away to a place that is better than the world now or shows ways to achive it.

some think, perhaps, that they wish to be in such a place of gods and daemons. I, personally would give ANYTHING to be in the world of that in Princess Mononoke Or Voices of a Distant Star.

but in the end you are right, its fantasy and there are alot more important things in the world.[/b]
dozi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:14 pm Reply with quote
What would I give up for Anime?

I gave up all hope of making friends in the town I live in. Which means I don't have a social life. So I guess I gave up a social life and any chance of ever having a girlfriend.

I might also give up a kidney. I mean you only need one right??
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Theres a difference between being anime fan and a dork. If you are a social outcast, I doubt anime has alot to do with it. One of the most popular kids in my school was big on Godzilla and talking animal, fantasy books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4