• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-06-08

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
[So sexy victorian babies, is what you're saying, basically.

Except there's nothing sexual about it. Unless layered clothing and modest dresses really turn you on I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

So sexy victorian babies, is what you're saying, basically.

No, no. Goth like ya see back in high school, but with babydoll dress. Very Happy
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Kevin... you made cry. I know fashion is not your forte but lolita is not sexy babies, nor a "sexy" vampire version of a victorian todler... okay I know Mana with his brand Moi Meme Moite uses "vampire romance" on his prints but "sexy" as a "sexy halloween costume" no just no Sad

Now being serious, Congratulations Robin for nailing Kevin characterization in this stri exactly the kind of guys sometimes we have to endure rude comments from Very Happy and Myopi with a little hat is just so cute! Very Happy

And Nina's outfit is extremely lovely but is not exactly gothic lolita because of the lenght, still I am getting flashes from the past with the mini hat... I really miss those. I really do Very Happy
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
No, no. Goth like ya see back in high school, but with babydoll dress. Very Happy

sorry kid, I think you need to spec a time period, 'because when I was in highschool Goth was called Punk, and the odds were that the babydoll dress would have been slit in a number of places and worn over fishnets and high heeled combat boots...
"London Calling, yeah I was there too... you know what they say, well some of it was true!"

Not that Zac is gettin old like me... :devil:
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
sorry kid, I think you need to spec a time period, 'because when I was in highschool Goth was called Punk, and the odds were that the babydoll dress would have been slit in a number of places and worn over fishnets and high heeled combat boots...

Since goth fashion evolved from punk, I'd still say it's a fair comparison. Punk lolita is also a subset of lolita fashion, though not as common. If you want, you can think of gothic lolita as being like goth and punk's conservative half-cousin from the East.

I actually have a question myself for the non-lolis here. I get why people make the "Victorian babies" comparison (not that I think the "babies" part is apt, it's not like we're wearing diapers under our dresses), but where does the "sexy" part come from? Lolita is pretty, but it's about as sexy as church clothes. Is it just an assumption of it based on the name alone? If we were trying to be sexy we'd probably do gyaru instead of lolita.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HopelessOsaka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
I actually have a question myself for the non-lolis here. I get why people make the "Victorian babies" comparison (not that I think the "babies" part is apt, it's not like we're wearing diapers under our dresses), but where does the "sexy" part come from? Lolita is pretty, but it's about as sexy as church clothes. Is it just an assumption of it based on the name alone? If we were trying to be sexy we'd probably do gyaru instead of lolita.

Tight waists and tight clothing? Clothing that pronounces certain areas of the body (i.e. chest, waist, hips, some other things, legs, forearms, idk) tends to be called sexy. And fashions in general tend to try to elicit some kind of visual response, whether it's manly, rough, cool, practical, badass, sexy, cute, sweet, a mixture of such, etc, and some lolita fashions (my knowledge is pretty limited, though) do seem to go for an allure of some sort.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
HopelessOsaka wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:

Tight waists and tight clothing? Clothing that pronounces certain areas of the body (i.e. chest, waist, hips, some other things, legs, forearms, idk) tends to be called sexy.

In their defense, most don't look sexy in them. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4