• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's up with ADV??? ::annoyed fangirl::

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arachne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quote
So what is up with them? Back in June, I got Fantasy Land and Your and My Secret. Loved them, actually they and Pretear are the only ADV titles I like. But while new volumes of Pretear continues to come out, there has been nothing on these other two titles. I'm so annoyed by this, I'm thinking about taking them back to work and exchanging them for something else. I mean I have 14 books already on hold this month (all Tokyopop and Viz titles), and I'm wondering what's the point on holding on to two titles that seem like they will never continue, when there are pently of other titles (and other companies) that I can trust...

So does anyone know if these series will ever continue?

~Arachne~
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:44 am Reply with quote
Uh...yeah. There was a thread discussing this, do you think you can find it? It seems that they're releasing the series that are popular more than those that aren't. I'll post again once I find the other thread...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:58 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ADV dove into manga without thinking, it seems. They grabbed a bunch of titles, but they are messing up the distribution big time. I noticed Demon City Hunter 3 is on schedule for release after they announced a year ago they had no plans to continue it. Chrono 2 took forever to get out. It almost seems like they throw a bunch of titles out, then decide to release more if Vol. 1 sells well.
sacchan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the other one, but for Your and My Secret, there's only up to volume 2 released (pretty recently) in Japan. The mangaka is only writing one volume or so per year on that series.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:17 am Reply with quote
It sounds like they are pulling a Tokyopop. If it doesn't sell well after 2 or 3 volumes, they drop it or put it on hold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
It sounds like they are pulling a Tokyopop. If it doesn't sell well after 2 or 3 volumes, they drop it or put it on hold.

Is that what Tokyopop did with Gatekeepers? I was wondering what happened to it...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

Actually a lot of volumes that arn't selling well are still getting releases. What title"s" are you talking about?

RabbitRevolution wrote:
Ataru wrote:

Is that what Tokyopop did with Gatekeepers? I was wondering what happened to it...

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=mangarecommends&Number=711704&Forum=c2&Words=gatekeepers&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=708235&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post711704
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ataru wrote:

The only series I know it happened to is I.N.V.U. It hasn't gotten to the fourth volume yet, and the series has been out for quite a while. But i don't see any trends like that for Tokyopop.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
xjadedragon750x wrote:
Quote:
Ataru wrote:

The only series I know it happened to is I.N.V.U. It hasn't gotten to the fourth volume yet, and the series has been out for quite a while. But i don't see any trends like that for Tokyopop.

Wrong again Rolling Eyes Cool
http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=mangaforum&Number=716334&Forum=c2&Words=I.N.V.U.&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=714072&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post716334

What's next? Somebody going to say that Ragnarok vol. 11 and after was never released because of Tokyopop?
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey darkhunter, could you please explain what was said in the AnimeonDVD forum on Gatekeepers that you linked to? For some reason, I got "access denied" when I clicked on the link. The INVU link worked fine though. (I was wondering about that series as well!)
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I forgot you have to be login to view the manga rec forum. Here's the two post about it.

Quote:
Peter_JR said:
This information maybe outdated:
The Gatekeepers manga had only two volumes out at the time it was published here. The last I heard TP were waiting on more volumes from Japan, to importe and translate.

Quote:
flammie said:
There was an old topic about this that doesn't seem to exist on the forums anymore. From what I remember, the manga was canceled in Japan after volume 2.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:31 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Ataru wrote:

Actually a lot of volumes that arn't selling well are still getting releases. What title"s" are you talking about?

GateKeepers (which was wasn't as good as the anime, but atleast it followed.), .hack//LotT (Yes, yes, I know.), and a couple others that dropped off. But Viz has been just as bad, if not worst, though. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:36 am Reply with quote
ADV has proven to be extremly slow with it's "unpopular" or new series. Chrno Crusade, Pretear, Peace Maker, and a number of other titles that they're wanting to push forward fast to help the anime versions, are of course on a faster pace than other titles.

All the new, "unknown" titles are on the back burner, having a volume released whenever they feel like it it seems. Example: Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok vol 2 has a sceduale release for March 22, 2004 so far. That's a six-seven month break from the first volume release. Tactics isn't even listed to when the next volume will come out.

Then, like I said earlier, their titles they want out to help with the anime are getting nice short breaks in between: Peace Maker Kurogane vol 1, October, PMK vol 2, November.

Makes me wonder if when the Loki and Tactics anime finally do get released here by ADV, if they'll pump out those volumes at a faster pace.

As to titles with no anime counterparts, they're just out of luck in the hands of ADV.

I think ADV's problem is they just started out with way too many titles when their manga branch is very new, and I'm guessing to have a rather small staff.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I think ADV's problem is they just started out with way too many titles when their manga branch is very new, and I'm guessing to have a rather small staff.

ADV Manga just released about 5 or 6 more new series. If this was simply a case of biting off more than they could chew, then they could have delayed the release of those to concentrate on the other ones. It seems like a simply solution to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2