• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spring 2011 compared to past seasons

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
Couldn't find a thread this is so i thought i'd see how everyone feels this season compares to last season as well as previous seasons (feel free to delete thread if one already exists and i missed it)

I myself only started watching anime a year ago but spent more than 6 months watching popular and "big name" series before taking any interest in seasons so i can't compare to seasons more than winter 2011 (i watched a couple of series before that but didn't try that many either) but i definately feel this season surpasses the last one.

Last season i only kept going with Gosick although i also plan to watch Kimi ni Todoke Season 2 and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica since i enjoyed Kimi ni's first season and heard Madoka Magica was really good

I ended up dropping:

Rio Rainbow Gate - just an excuse for ecchi, no story or substance at all
Freezing - Wasn't as good as the manga so didn't waste my time
Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! - If you watched any of it then you probably know why
Cardfight Vanguard - Just an excuse to sell trading cards tbh

Nothing else last season really tempted me to watch it, although Beelzebub and Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? might get watched at some point

This season i feel has alot more to offer, better series and better animation quality as well. I've stuck with:

AnoHana - Great story, characters and animation, great SoL anime
Astarotte's Toy - Isn't as bad as i though it would be, although the first episode really misrepresents the series as a whole
Ao no Exorcist - Great animation, Story is solid enough, even if it is a bit cliche, as are some characters
Deadman Wonderland - Again, good animation, story isn't totally unique (boy captured by man trying to manipulate him for self interest, boy tries to find way out) but the setting, powers and story details are and really make it stand out and "feel" unique
Hana-Saku Iroha - Same as AnoHana, great animation, story, characters and another good SoL this season
SKET Dance - Good comedy, very enjoyable
Fireball Charming - CG comedy shorts, great for a quick laugh

I dropped Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi - though it would be like Shuffle!, which i enjoyed alot, but sadly if fell way short of expectations
Similarly, i'll probably drop Hidan no Aria soon - looked Shakugan no Shana-esque so i took a keen interest (light novel series, small tsundere lead with male companion she saves, plenty of action etc) but sadly it's a far cry from the heights that Shana reached, very disappointed with this one

Although i haven't started them yet i do plan to watch Steins;Gate and C soon as well, heard good things about both, especially SG

Overall, much better season, lots to keep me interested, just hope the rest of the year yields more great series to rival this season

What does everyone else think? Is this season better than the last? How do you rate it compared to other seasons further back?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1