• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Softenni (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Softenni (TV)
AKA Sofuteni - Soft Tenni - Soft Tennis

Plot Summary:

Asuna Harukaze is a girl who loves tennis to the point where she practices her swings with a pitchfork while working on the family farm. At school she is a member of the Soft Tennis Club along with the enthusiastic Kotone, food-crazy Chitose and bizarre yet talented Kurusu. With a big tournament approaching, the girls are taking practice more seriously than ever. Although with Asuna’s strange and perverted logic surfacing at every turn and Chitose’s inability to win a single match, it may prove to be a challenge for the team to win.
The girls of the Hakuou Middle School soft tennis club are aiming for the national championship. Along the way, their journey will be full love, rivalry, fervor, and insanity.

I figured this show would be an also-ran show, just something else to watch that doesn't stand-out, like A-Channel. The first two episodes did have a little something extra, just a touch of the strange, but it was still pretty standard fare. Episode three though, things may be looking up.

It starts out normal, silly little panties joke to get a chuckle, but it get progressively weirder. They practice in the rain, the rain becomes a storm, the storm becomes flying fish, flying sharks and flying cows, there's some flooding and then a blizzard (did we mention it's early summer?)

and of course there's THE scene--- spoiler[for a full minute the screen features the bouncing circles that the show uses to cover up their fan service and a message declares "This part of the show was cancelled due to some inappropriate erotic scenes" but when it comes back it cuts directly to the busty senior girl completely naked and yelling, riding the giant salamander from the first episode, having been "saved by it" somehow.]

then there's the school's spoiler[giant NERV escalator that brings them down to a secret destination] and the episodes rounds itself out with outrageous but quality fan service humor.

Color me surprised. The humor isn't always of the highest caliber but it seems to me to be stepping up the crazy suddenly and I'm quite happy with the development.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
So, is no one watching this? It's turned from moe comedy with fanservice into quite a funny dirty-minded and absurd comedy with moe as a secondary interest. The constant censorship is annoying but it doesn't actually ruin the jokes at all.

If you gave up after the first couple you might want to try it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and decided to shelf it for a later viewing date because it seemed very average, but it was still funny and entertaining. I was just watching a lot of stuff at the time (still kinda am), and this didn't stick out enough to make me want to follow it.

I'm glad to hear it's getting dirtier, though. In case people couldn't tell by my love of Panty and Stocking, I do enjoy me some raunchiness, and so I'm now actually kind of looking forward to this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching, but it's not the kind of show that invites much commentary. It is what it is: a pretty mediocre, but sometimes mildly amusing, fan service light comedy.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like every Xebec show ever made.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sounds like every Xebec show ever made.

Isn't that like saying that Wolf's Rain is like Star Driver because they're fantasy/sci-fi hybrids produced by Bones?

Xebec certainly has a specialty in fan-service/echii comedies but there can be significant differences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1