• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Anime/Manga Survey.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Q1. How long have you been into Anime/Manga?

Knowingly, since sophmore year of high school... let's see, this year is my 10 year reunion, so I guess 12 years (13 this fall.)

Q2. How did you get into this fandom?

A friend was thumbing through one of my gaming magazines, saw a DBZ ad, and said it was a good show.I thought it was only OK, but I ran through the rental tapes at the video store anyway (to keep up with everyone, y'know?) I ran out of DBZ tapes, tried the Slayers instead, and was utterly hooked.

Q3.1 How do you obtain your Anime/Manga?

By and large, buying DVDs and graphic novels. I've done a bit of streaming on Crunchyroll lately, but only a show or two. I will admit to the occasional illegal sample... but as just that, a 1-2 episode sample if I'm on the fence about buying the show. For the record, I've ended up buying all but 1 show I did this for.

Q3.2 Do you own any physical copies? If so how much and how much do you think you've spent?

Hoo boy... ok, 1188 dvds+ 14 blu-ray+ 23 VHS tapes, multipily by a guessimate of $15 each... puts me in the $18000-$18500 range. I really don't know, though. (I can't even attempt manga, my collection list isn't accurate right now. I should fix that.)

Q4.1 What are your 10 favourite Anime/Manga?

Must I pick a full 10? I really think of this stuff in a yes/no rather than a ranking... ok, ok... In no particular order-

Fullmetal Alchemist, Azumanga Daioh, Heroic Legend of Arislan, Yukikaze, Dragon Half, World of Narue, Madoka Magica... and I guess Kodocha, Code Geass, and Blackjack. (I had to go look at my DVDs to come up with the last 3.)

Q4.2 What 3 Anime/Manga would you remommend for first-timers and why?

Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist are both high quality jack-of-all-trades shows... for the 3rd I'd tell them to grab anything by Satoshi Kon that tickles their fancy.

Q5. Do you dress a certain way or act a certain way when meeting up with others of this fandom?

Outside of conventions, it's usually a low-key quiry into favorite shows to start... just becuase you like anime doesn't mean we're on the same page. I've run into people both awesome and creepy... and I prefer to avoid the creepy.

At cons, I'm more likely to be chattier and indulge in a bit of otaku-ness (read: cat ears and such). It seems like attracting a big group of fans cuts back on the creepier folks somehow, and it's a lot easier to dissapear if you aren't clicking with who you're talking to.

Q6. Do you think this fnadom is more male or female orientated?

It's a pretty even split these days, I think- although there does seem to be a key difference in specific shows. Hetalia ia clearly a female dominated fandom, for example.

Sex: Female
Occupation: Retail Supervisor (aka register monkey with a fancy title)
simmeh

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
Sex: Male
Occupation: Naval Combat Systems Engineering Officer for the Canadian Navy

About a year and a half.

Clicked on an ad for the Funimation website. Things snowballed from there.

Stream online.

Q3.2 Do you own any physical copies? If so how much and how much do you think you've spent?
I own exactly one movie: Ghost in the Shell 2.0. I bought it for $20 on a whim.

- Baccano!
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Black Lagoon
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Crest/Banner of the Stars
- Spice and Wolf
- Welcome to the NHK
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- RahXephon
- If a tenth is necessary, Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen

Q4.2 What 3 Anime/Manga would you recommend for first-timers and why?
- Full Metal Panic! is a nice genre mash-up, so finding out what someone liked and disliked about it will help shape further recommendations
- Cowboy Bebop, despite my personal opinions on it (boring and mediocre at best). It's a classic, and required viewing for any fan. Plus, it's quite accessible, unlike some other 'classics' (hi, Eva).
- Baccano! and/or Black Lagoon, to shatter the conceptions that all anime is about goofy-haired teenagers with superpowers, and can actually cover a wide variety of topics.

Q5. Do you dress a certain way or act a certain way when meeting up with others of this fandom?
I don't really interact with other fans in real life, only on message boards. I know a few people who watch some anime, but not on the level I do.

Q6. Do you think this fandom is more male or female orientated?
Can't really comment; I don't know enough about it and haven't been around long enough to form an opinion on that matter.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote

--Uh, I guess I've been a fan for nearly a decade--used to watch it on TV when I was a kid and all. I didn't really get into until about 3 or 4 years ago, though.

--First anime I saw was on TV.

--Mainly DVDs/BDs, but also TV.

--I'm pretty young compared to most others around here, so I just started collecting in March 2010. I own 12 differents sets(both movies and series), but I don't have much of an estimate as to how much I've spent on them altogether. Put a gun to my head and force me to choose, though...somewhere between $200-$300.

--Don't read manga, and I'm not 100% on my top 10, but I'll give you my top 5.

5. BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
4. Baccano!
3. Red Garden
2. Now and Then, Here and There
1. Princess Mononoke

I own copies of all of these, and for Baccano!, I've double-dipped for the BD. And another fun fact, these were all my first 5 anime purchases in ascending order. I had already seen the 1st 3 and new they were my 3 favorites, but the other 2 were blind buys and I luckily ended up loving them.

--I really have no idea.

--Don't really know anybody as serious about the fandom as myself. And even if I did, hellz no--I am who am, not gonna change for anime fans.

--I'd say male. Not by too much, though.
Botan24

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote

Not long at all. Perhaps a little over three years. Although, I was aware of its existence previously. In high school, my best friend tried to interest me in both mediums. However, I just didn't care back then. I consider myself a late bloomer Smile

My husband (at the time he was my boyfriend) harassed me until I gave in and watched R.O.D. the OVA. I was hooked immediately by the story, and the characters. (One might consider R.O.D. a strange anime to introduce someone too, but my husband knows I love to read. So he figured that, if anything, Yomiko Readman would appeal to me.)

Anime: Netflix, online streaming, or straight up DVD's.
Manga: I tried my library's selection, but its sadly lacking. So I purchase it from either Right Stuf or Amazon.

I do, but my collection is very slim due to mostly financial reasons. Crying or Very sad That being said, I've only spent about $400 totally on my anime and manga.

I'm only listing my top five because they never change. However my last five are subject because of the ever increasing number of anime I've seen.
Anime:
1) Cowboy Bebop
2) Yu Yu Hakusho
3) Trigun
4) Fullmetal Alchemist
5) FLCL
Manga: so far I haven't read anything that truly grabbed me. Although I really liked the first volume of Pumpkin Scissors. This is due to the details put into the military aspects of the story. I think that shows big commitment on the author's part.

Since I'm still fairly new to anime I'm not sure I would be in a place to recommend titles to anyone (besides the obvious like Cowboy Bebop). However, I will put that my mother-in-law (who's over fifty) likes Inu Yasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Trigun. So I would consider those titles to be good gateway anime for any age.

Ha, no.

Definitely more male oriented.
larinon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote

Around 13 years now.

Through friends, clubs, and TV.

Often via purchase. For the past decade or so I've been downloading fansubs (and now stream quite a bit) and use these as a basis for whether or not I should purchase something. But I do buy quite a bit. As far as manga goes, I will peruse the shelves at Barnes & Noble and skim anything that looks interesting in order to decide if I'll purchase it.

Q3.2 Do you own any physical copies? If so how much and how much do you think you've spent? According to DVD Aficionado, I have around 1200 anime discs, and I also have a couple hundred volumes of manga. I can't really put a number on it, but it has to be more than $10k.

In no particular order:
Spirited Away
Azumanga Daioh
Baccano
Rahxephon
Serial Experiments Lain
Ghost in the Shell
Genshiken
School Rumble
Moyashimon
Love Hina

1. One of the more easily accessible Miyazaki films (well, I guess most of them are) like My Neighbor Totoro.

2. A straightforward action show like Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic, or Black Lagoon.

3. An edgy, science fiction piece like Ghost in the Shell.

Still, it depends quite a bit on the person in question. Traditionally, the above titles have been suggested as a way to convert neophytes, and not without good reason. Certainly their accessibility is an aspect of this acceptance. If you have a friend who is completely new to the medium then I would suggest something that is not too Japanese in its nature. Fans of foreign films would certainly be more open to things as well. But if they're a long time sci-fi fan, this could lead to some other possibilities. For people of my generation, this is the more traditional vector of entry into anime.

Not really.

Slightly skewed toward the male side. Certainly I think male fans are more visible, so to speak, but I think there is a significant female component of the fandom as well.

Edit: I just want to add that it's really difficult for me to nail down 10 of anything that I like best. I look back over my list and there's other favorites that I really want to add, but I can't bring myself to subtract anything else from the list. Again, not necessarily the best anime, but my favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Sex:Female

Almost 2 years ago now. I discovered it during the summer before last. But I didn't truly become an otaku until a year ago.

A friend showed me School Days. Probably not the best for most first timers, but it hooked me.

I either find it online or borrow it from my friend.

Yes, I own 10 series and 4 movies. I've spent around $350-$400, which isn't a whole lot for an otaku. Im pretty much a stickler with my money.

definitely a tough-y. All tied here:
- Death Note
- Hikaru no Go
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Haibane Renmei
- Ouran High School Host Club
- Voices of a Distant Star
- Castle in the Sky
- Jin-Roh of the Wolf Brigade
- Twelve Kingdoms
- Mushi-Shi

- Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Psychological anime are not a safe bet for first-timers so I picked 3 with little or no psychological elements. Moribito catches you from the first episode and is an anime that fans of almost any genre can enjoy.
- Death Note
Extremely unique and intelligent, those not fans of sword fighting will love this battle of wits.
- Cowboy Bebop
Exudes cool, fun and has a great soundtrack, plus has more comedy than the other two.

nope.

Hm, originally more male oriented I'd say but by the time I became a fan it seems that it's equal. There's stuff out there for anyone and everyone.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Q1. How long have you been into Anime/Manga? Only about 4-5 years beyond the occasional random anime that I saw on TV. I am only including the time that I actively seeked out anime.

Q2. How did you get into this fandom? Friends, clubs, anime on TV, and fansubs.

Q3.1 How do you obtain your Anime/Manga? Legal free streams (Funimation, Hulu, ANN, Crunchyroll etc.), Netflix, online stores, borrowing from friends, Funimation free viewings, anime club viewings, trading boxsets, and the occasional fansub for unlicensed material.

Q3.2 Do you own any physical copies? If so how much and how much do you think you've spent? About 30- 40 series and ~ $600 total. I'm really big into buying on sale, and used if possible. I get a lot of anime as gifts plus I am really big into the ANN tournaments, and I've probably won about 1/4 of all of the anime that I own. With so much legally free anime out there combined with the fact that only rematch a few of my favorite shows, I don't purchase as much anime as I used to.

In no order:

Spice and Wolf
Planetes
Monster
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Ghost in the Shell
Haibane Renmei
Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan)

Really depends on the genre that they like.

Ghost in the Shell -- Edgy sci-fi fans
Cowboy Bebop or Trigun -- Sci-fi westerns with a western audience partially in mind.
Nodame Cantiable - Romance, music, or drama fans
FLCL -- For the Art-House crowd or independent film watchers. Not a good mainstream pick.

Nope, not even at conventions.

Male oriented, but trending female, especially among younger fans.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Occupation: Material Handler at a place where old books are scanned/digitized

8 years.

First through Adult Swim, then through 4chan, although I've moved on from both.

Buying BD/DVDs online, and through legal streaming like CrunchyRoll, etc

Many. Last year, I spent ~$1,400 on anime and manga. So a few times that for overall expenditure.

Strike Witches
Sound of the Sky
Gunslinger Girl
Diebuster
Planetes
Twin Spica
Mitsudomoe
Simoun
Clannad
Qwaser of Stigmata

It depends too much on the individual person. I really couldn't say...I wouldn't blanket-recommend anything.

Just wearing my anime-related t-shirts.

Male.
lollipopper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote

For about 6 years.

Q2. How did you get into this fandom?[/b
From a friend. She introduced me to Bleach, and I was hooked ever since.

[b]Q3.1 How do you obtain your Anime/Manga?

Anime: Watch online.
Manga: Online or buy them from book stores.

Yes. Spent approximately $150 so far.

In no particular order, top 10 Animes:
Blood +
Full Metal Alchemist
MONSTER
Darker than Black
Armed Librarians - The Book of Bantorra
Romeo X Juliet
Ouran High School Host Club
Itazura na Kiss
True Tears
Kaiba

This depends on what genre this 'first-timer' enjoys and their age group.
For teen males or young adult males, perhaps Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist or Code Geass.
Because majority of the guys prefer action-packed genres, and the above fall under the shounen, adventure, action etc genres.

For teen females or young adult females, perhaps Ouran High School Host Club, Itazura na Kiss and Hana Kimi (or something related to rom-coms, there are just too many rom-com animes out there) Because I'm assuming the majority of females like the romance genre.

No I don't. I just act myself.

I would say it's for both. But it really depends on the type of anime. Some animes (with ecchi and slight hentai) may perhaps appeal to the males more than the females. It seriously depends on what's your target audience and their age group.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2