• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka 7 - the movie, your thoughts?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
I know there is a number of fans of the series over here. Has anyone seen the movie? What were your thoughs?

I have seen it yesterday and I must say I was not thrilled, or maybe- I was a bit disappointed to see that it had almost nthing to do with the series except for the character design.

Background characters from the series here play an important role, while the mian characters are the opposite of what they were. To confuse people, some characters also have names switched between each other.

spoiler[
Devey Novak who is no longer called Dewey Novak is now mentioned as a child molester, Hap is somewhat of a sadist and the Gekko crew are a scary bunch in general.]

The film plays with the fact that we know the characters and have expectations for them, only to destroy them (the expectations, and sometimes the characters at the same time) Smile

The whole film except for an ending is quite depressing, and all in all, I must say, I found it a bit of a disappointment. The story was nowhere enar as captivating as that of the series. Maybe as a totally separate entity would be a better watch, but I expected a bit more connections to the original series rather a 100% new story with old footage.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
The movies was well interesting. I liked that they took a chance and did something really different. The 1st half seemed confusing at the last half seemed way to rushed and it was a 2 1/2 hour movies and there did not seem to be enough time to tell the story. This was my biggest problem. It came off like it was two different movies and the plot seemed way more confusing then it should have been. Also, it really did not fit into the series all that well as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Much like the series only not as good storywise, and more confusing.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
The movies was well interesting. I liked that they took a chance and did something really different. The 1st half seemed confusing at the last half seemed way to rushed and it was a 2 1/2 hour movies and there did not seem to be enough time to tell the story. This was my biggest problem. It came off like it was two different movies and the plot seemed way more confusing then it should have been. Also, it really did not fit into the series all that well as well.

That's what I was thinking as well in a way. My confusion though came mainly from the fact that everything and everyone were labelled in a different way and the relationships between everyone were changed. Sometimes I even felt there was no story at all, just vague flashbacks, and the final explanation was pulled out of thin air. I still quite liked the fact it was nto just a recut version of the series, but well, I did not really get into it.
Shawn Shaolin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Do you know what made Cowboy Bebop The Movie a.k.a Knockin' on Heaven's Door so good? Familiarity. It was just like another episode of the TV show.

As with Eureka 7, the movie kinda lost its familiarity, but sometimes change is good for an anime. I liked it. I liked the depressing ending too. It wasn't bad, but finding a copy on DVD is another matter...
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
I thought the show was good enough for what I was expecting. Im glad that they decided to make a new story and do an alternate retelling rather than doing a sequel or a in-between story because the series plot line just didn't leave room for that. And I really liked watching what directions they took these characters in this time. But that said, I agree with jsc315 that it had some major passing problems. I feel like Bones usually (not always) has trouble figuring out how to construct a movie and what direction to take it in. But I still think that, despite some story and passing problems, you can't deny that it was a very well animated and entertaining movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quote
I watched about 20 minutes of the movie and said to myself, "What the hell is this crap?!"

I loved the anime series and I thought the movie (even if it were an alternate re-telling) would be just as good. However, as previously mentioned, there was very little familiarity with the anime at all. It seemed like a COMPLETELY different anime altogether.

I did not like it one bit. It was confusing, it made no sense and the attachments I had with the characters from the anime was COMPLETELY lost with this movie because it changed almost everything about the characters.

In all honesty, they probably should've went with a movie sequel or a movie adaptation. An alternative re-telling was just too over-the-top.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
Toucanbird wrote:
I watched about 20 minutes of the movie and said to myself, "What the hell is this crap?!"

Actually, ocne you get halfway through, the film starts making sense. the first half is like... exactly, what the hell. None of the characters is what it used to, but then at one point when 'Holland' explains Renton what happened to them things get a bit clearer. Still, I was not too fond of the new story line, but well, at least Anemone's fans will be happy.
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
The movie was my first experience with the world of Eureka 7 and I
have not yet seen any of the tv series.

To tell you the truth I was thrilled by it and consider it to be one
of the best films I have ever seen. The way the emotions were
done, the raw action scenes, and the sheer beauty of the art
were awesome.

Is the original series just as good?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
@anime racket,

I think it depends. For someone who saw the series first, I foun it much, much more itneresting than the film. The story line is completely different, so I suppose it's up to what you like. The series has got more of character development (woth some 50 eps), it also has a very slow start and uneven pace, but I loved eps 20-50 and the characters, the style is visually beautiful. I highly recommend, just get past the first 20 eps Smile
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
The movie was my first experience with the world of Eureka 7 and I
have not yet seen any of the tv series.

To tell you the truth I was thrilled by it and consider it to be one
of the best films I have ever seen. The way the emotions were
done, the raw action scenes, and the sheer beauty of the art
were awesome.

Is the original series just as good?

I agree with Unicorn_Blade. The series was much better in character development and over all story. That said, it's not as fast paced and in your face as the movie was. The movie kind of jumped right into the meat of the story while the series played with the concept, characters, and mysteries of it all before it got to the heart of the plot. As long as your ok with watching a 50 episode series than you should be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anime racket

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Okay. I think I'll give it a try.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1