• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Order?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ssj Rock Lee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to know what order you would usually watch the Gundam shows/movies in?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: Meh. Seeing as how Nagisa went ahead and made another post anyway, please delete this one. Thank you.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golgo13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how everyone personally watches them, but I do it in chronological order.

-Gundam 0079
-Gundam The Movies 1-3
-Gundam Zeta
-Gundam ZZ
-Char's Counterattack
-Gundam 0080
-Gundam 0083
-Gundam V
-G Gundam
-08th MS Team
-Gundam Wing
-Endless Waltz
-Gundam X
-Turn-A Gundam
-Gundam SEED
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Hard to say. As it stands, there are six Gundam timelines that have absolutely no relation to one another (well...short of the "Turn-A Bang" theory, but we won't get into that for the sake of simplicity). The Universal Century timeline is undoubtedly the largest, and even there an actual set order isn't really there (there's a "main story," accessory side stories, and some mostly unrelated stuff later in the timeline).

For the sake of saying so, I'm going to list the Gundam timelines and the chronological order with which the titles within those timelines take place (i.e. Mobile Suit Gundam is set in UC0079, Stardust Memory in UC0083, and Zeta in UC0087).

Universal Century
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: The War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobild Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

As stated, Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, & Char's Counterattack are the "main story" here; they focus mostly on the whole Amuro/Char and Zeon aspects of the story, and brings everything to a decidedly definitive conclusion on their own. They were also the first four Gundam anime produced, if memory serves (so I guess their being self-contained makes sense). F91 and Victory occur in the same timeline, but to my knowledge you do not really need to see everything before them to understand what's going on. 08th MS, 0080, & 0083 are supplements to the main story that flesh out the universe and bridge the gaps between series. You do not need to see these in order to grasp the rest of the timeline, and in a way these side stories are rather stand-alone in themselves.

Future Century
Mobile Suit G Gundam

After Colony
New MS Report Gundam Wing
New MS Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

After War
After War Gundam X

Correct Century
Turn-A Gundam

Cosmic Era
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny

The rest of these are self-explanatory. Completely self-contained, and where there are multiple anime, they're directly connected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spintii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:30 pm Reply with quote
*reads Nagisa's Gundam order post*

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

*head explodes!*

I guess that's what happens when you have a ongoing series for 20+ years...
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Here's mine

Gundam Canon --> MSG --> 08th MS --> 0080 --> 0083 --> Zeta --> ZZ --> CCA --> F91 --> V (ZZ and V are not licensed)

Non-canon Gundam --> G Savior, G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam X (A.W. 0015), Gundam Seed (C.E. 71) --> Gundam Seed Destiny (C.E. 73), Turn A Gundam (CC 2345)
For more information, go to http://www.gundamofficial.com/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, GundamOfficial will tell you the order of everything, inluding the books and mangas too.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:03 pm Reply with quote
ThatMatt wrote:
inluding the books and mangas too.

Where do they have that? All I saw regarding the novels & manga was this big, messy list under the "Other Series" link that haphazardly mixed video games, manga, and role-playing supplements (or whatever the hell Plamo-kyo Shiro is).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
To summarize what's been said earlier in this thread: The UC series should be watched in chronological order of when they take place. That order is: Mobile Suit Gundam (43-ep. TV series later split into 3 movies), Gundam:The 08th MS Team (12-ep. OVA), Gundam 0080 (6-ep. OVA), Gundam 0083 (13-ep. OVA), Zeta Gundam (50-ep. TV), Gundam ZZ (47-ep. TV), Char's Counterattack (movie).

Also in the UC storyline but taking place far into the future are Gundam F91 (movie) and V Gundam (51-ep. TV).

All other Gundam series are unconnected, except Gundam SEED and its new sequel Gundam SEED Destiny. Oh, and there's the abysmal Gundam Wing and its even worse spinoff OVA Endless Waltz. There are better Gundam series to watch, believe me. Stick with the U.C. timeline.
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
ThatMatt wrote:
inluding the books and mangas too.

Where do they have that? All I saw regarding the novels & manga was this big, messy list under the "Other Series" link that haphazardly mixed video games, manga, and role-playing supplements (or whatever the hell Plamo-kyo Shiro is).

I don't really remember how exactly to get there, but I remember stumbling upon a list of all of the stuff like that in order. If I remember how to get there I'll edit the post and put in the link.

Edit: Ok I got it http://www.gundamofficial.com/features/faq_prod_info.html#order After you get there, click on something like "can you put all of these in cronological order" and it'll show you. And Vekou, I just want to know why you thought Wing sucked, I thought it was good.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Heeeere's the windup . . . and the pitch Very Happy

There was SO MANY Gundam shows, and everyone has their preferences. I like the ones where they concentrate more on the gritty aspect of war (08th MS Team) and the superhuman abilities of pilots are explained throughly (Gundam Seed, G Gundam). Not that I hate Wing, because I don't. However, I can't love it either though the music for the series and Endless Waltz was 'da BOMB . . .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1