• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Slam Dunk Inquiry

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Slam Dunk Volume 6 should be out already, but it isn't...

The original Raijin release of Slam Dunk was quarterly, but the latest volume (#5) came out a month later. I buy my books in a small local store, and the manager said that Raijin was closing down. That was before Volume 5, in June. But if it's still on schedule, shouldn't it be out by now?

I believed that Raijin was closing down, but only because it doesn't have that many popular titles, so when it did publish #5, I was glad. However, what's the deal? Are they closing down or are they just behind schedule?

'because I wouldn't want Tokyopop to pick it up...I like the format the way it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've just vistited the Raijin website, and they're on hold? I don't understand this. Are they going to start up again or close down permanently?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Rajin's "taking a break" as they said themselves, meaning they are not releasing anything for the time being because of a poor financial situation. If they will manage to get back on their feet isn't known right now, but I would hope that in the near future they manage to work something out. The problem is that they had a poor marketing strategy. They had some great titles (Slam Dunk, City Hunter, Revenge of Mouflon), but the first mistake they made was trying to make a weekly anthology work. Also, they had a couple of bad titles that couldn't even really be sold to the mass market. When you only have about 10 mangas you need all of them to be stellar. When they got around to making their anthology monthly and releasing some TPBs, intrest in their few titles really wasn't strong. It really is a shame, because as far as I saw they put alot of effort into their products. I think if they licence some more titles and maybe drop the anthology they could come back. Until then there will be no more Slam Dunk in English.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
You should be able to get Slam Dunk vol. 6-20 in english from from Chuangyi. They produce two version, a chinese one and an english one.

Follow this thread.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10229

I also own 1-5 by raijin so I plan on getting the rest from them. If by any luck, we we should get fullmetal alchemist in english too.
takami826

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:56 am Reply with quote
I'd be surprised if Raijin ever came back from that break. They tried to do too much too fast and put themselves in a bind.

Another problem was distribution, it was a pain in the butt to pick up the few graphic novels locally, it still is. I couldn't even get my comic shop guy to get them in on special order for me. We'd order them and they would never come. I gave up. Too bad, because Raijin had some great titles. The only one I didn't read was City Hunter
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Does ChuangYi distribute? I'd definitely buy it, since those covers are nicer than what I imagine other companies doing...but I haven't got a credit card and don't trust PayPal...if they use that.

It seemed like Raijin wasn't going to come back at all.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
xjadedragon750x wrote:
Does ChuangYi distribute? I'd definitely buy it, since those covers are nicer than what I imagine other companies doing...but I haven't got a credit card and don't trust PayPal...if they use that.

It seemed like Raijin wasn't going to come back at all.

Only way you can get it is through thier website, since they are a singapore company. And why don't you trust paypal? It's used by million of ebayers, and I've been using it for 3 years without a problem. I think paypal is even more secure than credit card.
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I suppose that it's not that I don't trust them, but it's more that they charge a fee. I'm not really for paying extra money at the moment, but maybe when I finally start earning my own money...Have they got the rights to distribute?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
You only get charge if you sell stuff and want to recieve credit card payment. Paypal only charge a 3%fee if you recieve money from someone that is using a credit card and you must upgrade your account.

Otherwise, use the regular free account, they don't charge money on anything, so if you're using it to buy stuff or recieving non-creditcard payment, you won't be losing any money at all. It's fast and easy, and safe since you can put dispute if anything happen.

Also slam dunk is awesome if nobody ever read it before. The facial expression on the character are hilarious because they're overexaggerated sometimes (like GTO). You don't need to be a basketball expert to enjoy the manga.

Too bad RAijin is not going to come back anytime soon or at all for that matter.
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes. Slam Dunk was very good and I especially liked the way it was...weird. However, they have said that Girl Got Game draws in more readers than Slam Dunk and that may be the reason why it isn't very successful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1