• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good old school anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I have seen a couples of old animes from 1980, and a majority of them turned out to be quite good. Its a sad fact that many reject old animes, because of outdated animations, and bad sound.

However, there are some very good masterpieces out there, that hasn't received much fame at all, and which deserves more attention.

Rose Of Versailles is a fine example of on old anime, that has such an intriguing plot, which few animes nowadays can stand against.Its about romance and friendship, and its a shame if you dont want to watch just because its so old.

Have you seen any other good old shool anime that has proved to be very good?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, though it's actually a bit of a remake, I like the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. Yeah, it's not the same as the TV series, but I found it to be a very good title (though the remastered audio and video probably helped it Razz).

Other than that, I haven't really seen any other old school anime, unless you consider Vampire Hunter D (1985) in that category.

I also hear SDF Macross and Gundam Zeta are pretty good too.

Man, I need to catch up... Anime cry
Sake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Well, though it's actually a bit of a remake, I like the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. Yeah, it's not the same as the TV series, but I found it to be a very good title (though the remastered audio and video probably helped it Razz).

Other than that, I haven't really seen any other old school anime, unless you consider Vampire Hunter D (1985) in that category.

I also hear SDF Macross and Gundam Zeta are pretty good too.

Man, I need to catch up... Anime cry

Yes, vampire hunter d, is an old shool anime, but it was ahead of its time in terms of animations. But vampire hunter d is widely known though, and I've never liked the gundam series, i saw 5 episodes of the newest gundam installment, but i just found the story and the twists too exaggerated, and complicated, so I've never wathced any of the old gundam series, since I've heard they are not as good as the newer ones.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I second the Gundam movie trilogy. Also, Ninja Scroll and Grave of Fireflies are both great, and from around that time period.
Another one I liked was called Detanator Orgun. I was pretty young when I watched it, so it may not be so good now, but I have great memories of it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Ninja Scroll

Hmm. I don't know. 1993 doesn't strike me as "old school." Grave of the Fireflies, maybe.

By the way, how does one consider a title to be "old school" anyway. Should there be a set year, or something?
Sake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Bruce Lee wrote:
Ninja Scroll

Hmm. I don't know. 1993 doesn't strike me as "old school." Grave of the Fireflies, maybe.

By the way, how does one consider a title to be "old school" anyway. Should there be a set year, or something?

well, just use your common sense, i think animes that dates from 1980 and below are regarded as old shools. This is how i categorize it though, but somethink like that i guess.
Sake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Bruce Lee wrote:
Ninja Scroll

well, just use your common sense, i think animes that dates from 1980 and below are regarded as old shools. This is how i categorize it though, but somethink like that i guess.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
"Macross" and " Maison Ikkoku" I think are masterpieces of 80's. I mean if you watch them even today you will enjoy them because the story is awsome. Also both of those titles do look pretty good. The drawings are sharp and look better then most 80's titles.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:20 pm Reply with quote
oldies but goodies that are just pleasent to watch:

Lupin the 3rd Castle of Cogliostro
Laputa Caslte in the Sky
Nausicaa
Wings of Honneamise

i need to remember a few more
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Macross is a classic, and I would recommend it to anyone. You if you want another great scifi series, Star Blazers or any of Matsumoto's other shows are great as well. Maison Ikkoku is a great romantic comedy.
In terms of movies, I would go for Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa, Akira and Wings of Honneamise.
M.B.K.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote
IMHO, it doesn't cost to disregard such classic Anime-serial, as "Kimagure Orange Road". We all can see profound characters as Madoka Ayukava and Kiosuke Kasuga, involved situations, and thrilling lyricism in that Anime.
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know a lot of old School anime. However, Akira and Lupin
The III are pretty good ones.Anime smile + sweatdrop By the way, Is Robotech consider an old school anime?
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Leiji Matsumoto's old series are good space opera (please ignore the new stuff - he's getting to be as bad as Isaac Asimov). There's no anime out there that even comes close to the way Arcadia of My Youth affects me. And if it wasn't for a certain French movie that hit way too close to home, there wouldn't be any live action movies that could emotionally devastate me that much, either.

World Masterpiece Theater is more great old school. Don't let the PBS-sounding name discourage you - while each series is an adaptation of an old children's book, many of the most popular ones were directed by Isao Takahata.

It seems a lot of people nowadays skip over Miyazaki's early work just because it wasn't put out by Ghibli, but you all owe it to yourselves to check out Future Boy Conan and The Castle of Cagliostro if you haven't already. They're classic.

And if you couldn't tell from the avatar, I'm a Macross fan. The TV series it pretty good, but in my opinion it can't touch the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ninja Scroll

How about the anime that Ninja Scroll hevily borrows from, The Dagger of Kamui.

I'd also highly suggest Aura Battler Dunbine. Personally I think this is one of the best animes on the market right now. Its an excelent mix of mecha and fantasy from the creator Gundam, Yoshiyuki Tomino.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quote
dang it!! how could i forget about Ranma ½

was one of my first, great show, but goes on for quiet a bit and starts to wither away at the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5