• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Line next to the nose?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
What's with the extra curved line,kind of like a ),drawn next to peoples' noses in a lot of anime/manga? It seems like I mostly notice it in 80's stuff like Macross,but it does pop up in more recent stuff too.
What's it meant to indicate?
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Touch the space between your eyes with your finger. Noticed a curve? Yeah.

Or could you be thinking about the cheek (lower end of the cheek)? I believe it's used to imply old age. Which is why it's not used often nowadays, considering that the average character these days is 14 years old, compared to the old days where you'd often get a large cast of older people.

Well, it doesn't really matter if the average age is lower these days when a 37-year-old looks like this. And you thought Clannad abused physical age.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I think it's really more of a stylistic choice than anything else for defining facial features. I personally am not all that fond of it but it doesn't affect whether I'll watch a show or not. It showed up in Chrome Shelled Regios, that's a recent example that I remember.

egoist wrote:
Well, it doesn't really matter if the average age is lower these days when a 37-year-old looks like this. And you thought Clannad abused physical age.

As someone who is just a few years away from 37, that doesn't bother me all that much. Other than a steadily decreasing amount of hair, I could probably pass for late 20s or so. But seriously, the way shows portray high schoolers that look like they're 12, the aunt in Denpa is not all that bad. Also: a comic, which I can't remember if I saw linked here on ANN or somewhere else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
LOL that comic. So true. I don't consider the lady over there a bad thing. In fact, she has to be the best of her kind. In Clannad the adults feel so fake. It's not the fact that they look young despite being over 30, it's the fact that whoever the devil designed them tried adding facial lines to make them look old; Shakugan no Shana is also another huge offender. Of course, I could spend the night pointing fingers. While Shaft doesn't give a shit. Even if they slap a 40-year-old label on a character they won't care and will still make them look like a 16 year old without shame. Not that they're bad with older characters, as seen in Bakemonogatari with Meme and Senjougahara's dad.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
The purpose of that line I know in older anime was to outline the shadow created by the nose when light shines across a face. Since anime noses themselves tend to either be simply a curved line or dot, the way to create a shadow was to simply draw the shadow only and use it to define the shape of the nose. For some reason in earlier shows they tended to draw the nose and it's shadow separately, hence the line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1