• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Exorcist (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently people liked Nurarihyon No Mago.

It got better as it went on.

Finally caught the first episode. It was pretty decent. The set up was nice and I liked all of the main cast introduced so far. I'm looking forward to see how this one goes. It was one of the few new shows for the season that really interested me.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
I really liked the first episode, the animation and music was top notch and more importantly the writing and characterizing seemed to have more emotion to it than typical shounen. Felt more like a Kekkaishi or One Piece to me than a Fairy Tail or D.Gray Man. (nothing wrong with them, I like them)

Accelerator's VA Nobuhiko Okamoto seems like an inspired choice for Rin, really liked that music piece that played when Rin was telling that little girls father to believe her... but god damn that ED song and sequence was horrible, does not suit the show at all... thank god that it will be gone by the time the second cour starts.

swienke wrote:
But yes, there will be hot chicks. Shura in particular is very much based on Yoko from TTGL, so you'll get to see plenty of skimpy bikini tops from her once she shows up.

I looked up her profile pic on MAL and holy shit you weren't kidding about her being like Yoko...

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/7/112977.jpg
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
swienke wrote:

I'll have to disagree here. Although this series is indisputably shonen, it does all of the little things just a little bit better than most of its brethren, and when you add all of those little improvements up it makes a big difference. I don't read One Piece, so I can't really compare it to that, but it has better pacing than the other three series you mentioned, more character development (and more realistic character development at that), and a better sense of impending consequences. It still sticks to most of the standard shonen tropes, but it treats them with just a little more gravitas and respect for how they intersect with reality.

The setting and pace I don't give a crap about. That will always differ. The behavioral characteristics is what I care about. Blue Exorcists characters......you've seen them a million times before. It's not genuine (unlike DTB characters, the 1st one). Also, talking bout anime. You mentioned read......anyway, just gave my first impression on the first episode, and ultimately, it turns out I was right. As the lack of responses here indicate, most people percieve this anime to be another action flick or cheap imitation. You know, the typical bad guy good guy set up. Friends or nakama is important. Random needless yelling. Blahx3
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Umn, perhaps the lack of responses is because the show aired only recently, and the official stream aired only the day before yesterday? If you look at the threads here for the various spring anime, you'll notice that as of this post, the only ones with more than 2 pages are for series that have already aired a full 3 episodes before even one episode of Blue Exorcist was available by official stream.

Not to mention, episode 1 only made it partway through the introduction chapter (apparantly) so there's really not a huge amount to talk about yet. Perhaps people aren't posting much in a discussion thread because *gasp* there's not much to discuss yet.

EDIT: Heck, for that matter, Hanasuku Iroha, a series you yourself said you thought was good, didn't reach a 2 page discussion thread until after the second episode had aired. And it currently has the biggest thread of the entire new season.

If you check the anime preview thread, you'll see most responses are at least fairly positive. As well as most responses in this thread.

Anyways, on the topic of the series, I liked the first episode, though it's hard to really judge the series itself. I'll be interested to see how the series plays out. I'm very interested in how they are going to depict Satan next episode.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2.

Now that's more like it. Impressive episode, and such a great deal of story. Production values continue impressing me. That Cross leader seems to be just amusing, and I'm pretty sure he's not human either. Judging by the opening I thought he was Satan, lol. Now a little curious about Satan's intentions... perhaps he plans to use his son's body to destroy the world - surely he wouldn't be doing that just because he wants his precious son by his side.
Looking forward to the next episode... totally anticipating others' reaction to Satan's son.

arimahen
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

lol uh no. Point? Yeah. I don't need to explain the trends to you and how these threads are typically suppose to go. Although, who knows. Now that it's on 1st page people may give it another shot.
swienke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

lol uh no. Point? Yeah. I don't need to explain the trends to you and how these threads are typically suppose to go. Although, who knows. Now that it's on 1st page people may give it another shot.

I find it a bit ironic that you're criticizing Mad_Scientist for not having a point (although I'd disagree) when I can't seem to figure out the point that you are trying to make. And how exactly are "threads typically supposed to go?" As Mad_Scientist pointed out, the number of posts on a thread is almost always going to be somewhat low at this point in the season. In addition, how busy a thread is is not necessarily a good indication of the quality of the show: I've seen threads for good shows that are almost abandoned, and threads for terrible shows that get loads of activity.

Quote:

Blue Exorcists characters......you've seen them a million times before. It's not genuine (unlike DTB characters, the 1st one).

So, you're going to say that Blue Exorcist's characters aren't as realistic as DTB after only two episodes? If you want to make that argument after the end of the show, that's fine, but otherwise that's an unfair comparison to make. If you compare the first two episodes of DTB to the first two episodes of Blue Exorcist (a far fairer manner of comparison), the level of characterization and complexity are about the same for the two series. Actually, I'd argue that Blue Exorcist has been a little more heartfelt so far (and I'm not bashing on DTB, I honestly love that series).

Quote:
As the lack of responses here indicate, most people percieve this anime to be another action flick or cheap imitation.

Considering how favorable most of the reviews were, and the amount of chatter I've seen on other blogs or anime sites surrounding this series, I think most fans seem to view it as a very well made action series with a lot of potential, not a cheap imitation.

Anyways, I saw episode 2 just a couple of hours ago, and I honestly loved it. They added a number of scenes that weren't in the manga, like spoiler[the zombie dogs, the reappearance of the possessed boy from the first episode, and basically the whole fight sequence with him until Satan showed up,] but I thought that they really added to the tense atmosphere, in addition to being just a lot of fun to watch. Mephisto Pheles was also even more hilarious than in the manga: Hiroshi Kamiya is perfectly cast here and seems to be having a lot of fun with the character so far. The soundtrack keeps growing on me too, and I think it may be one of the finest ones this season. At this point, the anime actually seems to be improving on the manga: it keeps on adding quality scenes that enhance the characterization or atmosphere, without getting rid of any of the aspects that make the manga so fun. I just hope it can continue to maintain this level of awesomeness.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Your argument for people not liking this is stupid. You cite a lack of responses and than ignore that there's not much discussion going on in other shows and that some of them have double the amount of episodes than this show.

Tiger and Bunny has 35 posts compared to this shows 21 but has 4 episodes out compared to 2. So this is actually more discussed than T & B for the amount of episodes out.

Your logic is dumb.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I wish this show could be compared to Darker than Black, but I found that was just a cheap marketing gimmick. Which surprised me, as I didn't think Darker than Black was something a show wanted to be associated with, especially on an ANN ad. (Sadly. BTW, I found DtB awesome, one of the few who acknowledged its greatness.)

It's almost criminal to make such a comparison, as Darker than Black was a self-contained show that tried to tell a rather original story, while Blue Exorcist is as shounen as shounen gets. Bleach + FMA = Blue Exorcist thus far. (BTW, that spoiler earlier on in this thread was pretty brutal.)

I can kinda see the resemblance between the character design, since I'm told its there, but it's not blatant IMO.

I'm not sure any token "hot chick" can diminish the borderline yaoi this show had in the first episode. ANN a while back said that this was the 5 year period of incest, and I could believe that the main character and his "twin" are designed to cater to that. That bandage scene just needed the screen to be ringed in roses a la Ouran Host Club to be complete & blatant. Please tell me this isn't going to end up being The Wallflower redux.

BTW, that was the lamest depiction of Astaroth ever. Soul Calibur established that Astaroth was not a wimpy effeminate dude.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

I'm not sure any token "hot chick" can diminish the borderline yaoi this show had in the first episode. ANN a while back said that this was the 5 year period of incest, and I could believe that the main character and his "twin" are designed to cater to that. That bandage scene just needed the screen to be ringed in roses a la Ouran Host Club to be complete & blatant. Please tell me this isn't going to end up being The Wallflower redux.

Your yaoi goggles are on way too tight if you saw any in this.

"Oh my god, someone's bandaging a wound? That must mean they're in LOVE". You're acting no better than a yaoi fangirl here.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
It has the same director as Darker Than Black.. which is probably why it was brought up in the ads... (i haven't seen them myself)

The rest of your post is just simply stupid.... and Shura is just walking fanservice as well as being a fun character.... and probably the 3rd most used character in regards to screentime once she joins.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Your yaoi goggles are on way too tight if you saw any in this.

"Oh my god, someone's bandaging a wound? That must mean they're in LOVE". You're acting no better than a yaoi fangirl here.

^ agreed =v= I thought it cute though but not in that way( i don't like yaoi so i wouldn't like if it were cute in that way either), mostly just Rin that was cute. I kinda hate how guys can't be nice to each other with out every one going "it's yaoi!" Friendship does exist, and in this case they were brothers. And in this case it appears after episodes 2 spoiler[The one brother will come to hate His brother Rin. :U] that's the feeling i got from the episode preview anyway.

I'm dieing here from Rin he's too cute~ Ahahahaha~~~ Definitely am just a fan of Rin and will continue to watch for Rin. he's so cute and cool~

>__> well now, I don't really get what any of the complaints are against it. It appears well animated, and well thought out so far. Who cares if it has tropes and cliches galore if it's well done, is my opinion on the subject. I like the art style for it... and Rin~~ ahaha he's so cute. ufufufu~ And the lack of female eye candy in the first couple episodes doesn't bother nor did i feel like it was a sausage fest. fufufu~ Too infatuated with Rin to notice the lack of girls maybe? >_>
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It was okay. I was annoyed by the complete lack of any hot chicks in this episode. Made it feel like a real sausage factory. There will be hot chicks eventually, right?

If there was ever any doubt in my mind that you have never been laid in your life, it has thus been erased completely Razz + Twisted Evil

This is turning into one of the shows I'm enjoying the most this season. I'd place it up there with Tiger & Bunny and, well, depending on the next episode, C. Aside from the demon-slaying/exorcisms bad-assery, I am also looking forward to the hilarity in how anime usually handles Western religion Razz .
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the changes they made from manga to anime, the added action sequence was a good idea, because without it the series would take a while to ramp up to that level of action, with a lot of little quick sequences. The ep 2 scene was sort of a sampler for stuff to come.

Quote:
I'm not sure any token "hot chick" can diminish the borderline yaoi this show had in the first episode.

There will always be hopeless shippers out there, but the original work certainly makes no effort at "hooking the brothers up" or anything. Rin is definitely into chicks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Blood- wrote:
It was okay. I was annoyed by the complete lack of any hot chicks in this episode. Made it feel like a real sausage factory. There will be hot chicks eventually, right?

If there was ever any doubt in my mind that you have never been laid in your life, it has thus been erased completely Razz + Twisted Evil

It's been long enough that I'm probably technically a virgin again. I guess we can't all be incredibly successful Lotharios like you, eh? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8