• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files Shareholders' Report on Yu-Gi-Oh! Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Since their a Caniadian CO & they are very large when it comes to children series,

So, we now Blame Canada for ruining Anime?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Since their a Caniadian CO & they are very large when it comes to children series,

Well, if you listen to the anti-smoking commerials here in the U.S., Canadians are an endangered species. Since the Canadians are going the way of the dinosaurs, might as well blame you all.

Kidding aside I like Canada, you gave us Reboot and William Shatner. Also, think the majority of SyFy's SciFi TV shows are filmed in Canada. Going back farther, Hercules and Xena, I believe.

Funimation has no foul in this. As they were not part of the contracts between 4Kids and Japan. There is no reason to believe they were even aware of financial funny doings at 4Kids. Even if Funimation suspected such things, they couldn't say anything about it, without verifiable proof. If Funimation even mentioned it to the two Japanese entities, they could be sued by 4Kids for defamation, if they didn't have ironclad proof. In todays litigious society, even the word 'ironclad' is open to interpetation.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I never said that at all,nor am I blaming Canada for ruining anime. What I meant that it's true their good with kids series in North America , but like with 4kids , once they start screwing with series that are not for kids, all hell breakes loose.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Well, if you listen to the anti-smoking commerials here in the U.S., Canadians are an endangered species. Since the Canadians are going the way of the dinosaurs, might as well blame you all.

Kidding aside I like Canada, you gave us Reboot and William Shatner. Also, think the majority of SyFy's SciFi TV shows are filmed in Canada. Going back farther, Hercules and Xena, I believe.

Funimation has no foul in this. As they were not part of the contracts between 4Kids and Japan. There is no reason to believe they were even aware of financial funny doings at 4Kids. Even if Funimation suspected such things, they couldn't say anything about it, without verifiable proof. If Funimation even mentioned it to the two Japanese entities, they could be sued by 4Kids for defamation, if they didn't have ironclad proof. In todays litigious society, even the word 'ironclad' is open to interpetation.

Well that's a scary though. At least their NOT included in the lawsuit. Though I wont be susprised if in the future 4kids do some BS to get them involved so they dont go six feet under cause , this is gonna be their nail in the coffin.

At least the good thing is that from this lawsuit , there's no way their getting the license for the new yugioh series , though I wished it had happened before GX and 5D's came to the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I never said that at all,nor am I blaming Canada for ruining anime. What I meant that it's true their good with kids series in North America , but like with 4kids , once they start screwing with series that are not for kids, all hell breakes loose.

They also made Clone High, that was a good show not for kids. Seriously, why are you arguing that Nelvana should go out of business for something they did 10 years ago? Besides they did really "ruin" Bakugan? It seems like that still a 22 minute toy commercial in Japan, how could ruin something that isn't very good to begin with? Making a bad show slightly worse isn't really ruining. Again saying Nelvana because of ruining something good ten years ago and making a bad show slightly worse. They have done so many things besides that, its silly to argue they shut down because of something from ten years ago.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Again. it's fine if they ( both nelvana and 4kids ) license shows for kids (age 7-12 ). But when they do massive edit to series that are clearly for teens ( age 13 and over ), ( not keeping the original names ,and rewritting the original script and using crappy english OP & ED ) then all hell break loose. Bakguan, clearly for kids. However the original beyblade was not ,and it had the otaku community running to the fansubs.

It's the same with 4kids. Poekmon,clearly for kids, But the other anime (Yugioh , etc ) they license are obiviously NOT.

Also I'm not the only one. If you've seen the posts . A lot of people are still holding 4kids accountable for anime they completely ruin years ago (a.k.a One Piece,Shaman King,the list goes on and on )

So it's not just me that want them , especially the horror that is 4kids to go six feet under. It's the entire freaking otaku community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Again. it's fine if they ( both nelvana and 4kids ) license shows for kids (age 7-12 ). But when they do massive edit to series that are clearly for teens ( age 13 and over ), ( not keeping the original names ,and rewritting the original script and using crappy english OP & ED ) then all hell break loose. Bakguan, clearly for kids. However the original beyblade was not ,and it had the otaku community running to the fansubs.

It's the same with 4kids. Poekmon,clearly for kids, But the other anime (Yugioh , etc ) they license are obiviously NOT.

Also I'm not the only one. If you've seen the posts . A lot of people are still holding 4kids accountable for anime they completely ruin years ago (a.k.a One Piece,Shaman King,the list goes on and on )

So it's not just me that want them , especially the horror that is 4kids to go six feet under. It's the entire freaking otaku community.

Again Nelvana created Clone High and that was not for the 7 to 12 age group. The difference between Nelevana and 4Kids is Nelvana has actually created far more content then 4kids has and not all of it was for kids. Wanting Nelvana to go out of business because of something they did ten years ago is extremely short sighted.

Also is Yu-Gi-Oh aimed adults? It comes across as a 22 minute toy commercial, there doesn't seem to be much appealing to adults. 4Kids didin't add some of the odd scenes in that series, like one of the main characters jumping in to save playing cards, that's pretty silly.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Nelvana's also done Bob and Margaret, Quads, and other shows skewed at adults.

The problem with the "Argh Cardcaptors!" argument is that at the time, they did two things people always forget-
-worked with Pioneer to release the series uncut on VHS and DVD, later reissued as DVD boxsets.
-most of the edits made to the American broadcast were requested by KidsWB. Nelvana actually dubbed the entire series for broadcast in other markets, and made alternate edits of several episodes [so you'd have a mutant ep where 2 eps were spliced together in the States, then 2 seperate eps with different dubs in Canada and Australia- Australia even had a dubbed version of Catch you Catch me- not a very catchy version, but still Smile].
-Nelvana also worked with Pioneer to do a bilingual edition of the 1st movie.

But I guess it's just easier to shout animeisnotforkids! [when pretty much everything Nelvana and 4kids have licensed IS shows meant and marketed towards children] and theyruinedthedubs then remember subtitled VHS's/dvd's and the strangeness that is attempting to get a kids show on network TV.

Hope if 4Kids crashes, someonelse steps up and figures out a place for Kids Anime on TV- Nelvana only does a few shows here and there, so I guess it'll just be them and Pokemon with the occasional random show from Toei or VIZ. Too bad you guys didn't get Pretty Cure. Toei's dub is pretty fun, hope it makes its way to home video so it's not lost of the sands of time entirely
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Trying to stay out of this, but it just keeps coming back...
jr0904 wrote:
... Bakguan, clearly for kids. However the original beyblade was not...

Beyblade, not for kids Confused
Like, I know that the dub sucked and the game has a large non-kid following, but really? And Yu-Gi-Oh? Rolling Eyes

Dude, you've got to stop with the otaku grudge. It's those kinds of people that make the subculture hard to take seriously.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:
They also made Clone High, that was a good show not for kids. Seriously, why are you arguing that Nelvana should go out of business for something they did 10 years ago? Besides they did really "ruin" Bakugan? It seems like that still a 22 minute toy commercial in Japan, how could ruin something that isn't very good to begin with?

Bakugan was quite entertaining in it's original form. Nice music, memorable characters, nice fights, great humor, and it wasn't afraid to tug those emotional strings and go the drama (one of the main kid's parents dies in his arms during the series, which of course gets edited out, not to mention who one of the main villains is and their relation to the main cast) It's similar to Digimon in that regard. The dub is pretty bad, with bad music and painful dialog. They get points for keeping things like takoyaki and other Japanese food in, but it's still a poor dub and they kind of ruined the ending as well.

I didn't care for the original Beyblade much, but the new Metal Fight series is interesting. It can get pretty hot blooded and awesome at times (lighting kids on fire during a match? Holy crap) I haven't seen the dub, but it's apparently similar to Bakugan (though Beyblade Metal Fight isn't as good as Bakugan IMO and didn't have as much to take out)
tyciol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Does this mean we will be able to see a non-butchered version of One Piece dubbed in the future? Without the rap or lollipops?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
tyciol wrote:
Does this mean we will be able to see a non-butchered version of One Piece dubbed in the future? Without the rap or lollipops?

4Kids lost the rights to One Piece 4 years ago. Funimation's been dubbing it uncut for years.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
tyciol wrote:

4Kids lost the rights to One Piece 4 years ago. Funimation's been dubbing it uncut for years.

and i for one am glad for that license rescue.

now if someone would do the same to the rest of the anime those two companies butchered, then there's a good chance the reputation for english dubs in general can be repaired.

Unfortunately, now that their broadcasting zexal, the oods are slim cause its preety obivious that the US court system is going to support a US Company that is on the verge of finally being gone for good.

it's like i said before. their like freaking cancers. they just wont die no matter what.

I for one hope some one does find a cure for the cancer that is 4kids Ent. and for the anime industry ,IT CANT COME ANY SOONER!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4